What language do you want to learn?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2017, 1:47 am

I'd like to get started on learning a new language, but have such a hard time deciding which one!
I'm leaning mostly towards Spanish, because it seems like the one that's easiest (based on my current languages spoken) and would be the most useful. But I'm also considering Arabic. That's one that's rapidly spreading out over the world, and would likely come in handy as well.
And then there's all the languages that are really beautiful and/or interesting, but not useful at all unless you're in that particular area. Like Finnish. I love that language, but it seems kind of useless unless you spend a lot of time in Finland.

Which one would you like to learn? And is it because it would be useful or just because it's an interesting language?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 4:45 am

I've been meaning to start learning Japanese on my spare time. I honestly have no idea why I keep putting it off - have been for a good couple of years.

I do want to go to Japan someday, and from what I've gathered, it's a country in which people don't speak English too much or too well. So you'd best learn the local language if you want to survive.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2017, 6:28 am

I might like to learn either Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin). Torn between which one.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:52 pm

Hypertext markup language

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:07 pm

Spanish and American Sign Language.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:33 pm

Clockwork Orange language

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:46 pm

I would like to learn Czech :)

Currently though I am learning Spanish as resources for it are more readily available.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:05 pm

want to learn japanese, thai, and chinese(cantonese and mandarin). started learning japanese, but like the others, if not certain to work there(japan, thailand, or hong kong)... there’s a strain on motivation to diligently learn and put forth the efforts to maintain use in not knowing anyone familiar to practice the languages with, or who’d want to. there are supposedly resources for practicing with others online, but online communication feels far more awkward and demanding than speaking face to face.

if to only choose two, would go with japanese and thai... don’t imagine finishing life without at least visiting japan and thailand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:03 am

German

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
German

Deutsch macht spass :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2017, 6:02 am

I'd like to learn Klingon

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 6:11 am

I attempted to learn Japanese a few years ago but gave up because language isn't really my skill. I have picked up a bit of Russian from Music that I like, if I could speak any language other than English I would like to speak Russian.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 6:53 am

I've long been drawn to Japanese, as my mother was Japanese. I've just as long been drawn to French, my mother loved French.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:53 am

I've been learning Russian for 28 years. I'm still rubbish at it. I've had a go at Italian, and I like the idea of Arabic, but have never tried it. Despite doing French all the way through school, the only time I learnt any was when in France, so I'm unlikely to get much better at Russian any time soon.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2017, 9:04 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I've been learning Russian for 28 years. I'm still rubbish at it. I've had a go at Italian, and I like the idea of Arabic, but have never tried it. Despite doing French all the way through school, the only time I learnt any was when in France, so I'm unlikely to get much better at Russian any time soon.

I can also only learn if I'm hearing the language all the time, and then I pick it up really quickly. I studied Spanish in school, but when I went to Spain, I could barely order a coffee the first day. After seven days I could grasp the content of most conversations. Now I've forgotten all about it.
Same when I moved to Denmark. Spoke the language after two weeks, but after just a month of not hearing it I forget half of it.

Do you remember the french you learned when you were there?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:48 am

^Bits of it, I was never good enough to understand the French around me but I could get by in shops ect, bits of French, lots of hand movements. I remember it better than the stuff learnt in senior school, funnily enough the bit I remember best is the stuff learnt by rote in junior school.

The problem with French at school was they kept saying if I learnt it I would be able to use it in camp sights in France. I didn't want to go camping in France, though.