I want to go down these waterslides but I'm scared

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

I was never a strong swimmer but I still liked the water so I went to swimming-pools a lot as a kid. But one time I fell under the water in a deep part and no matter how much I tried I could not get myself up to the surface. I thought I was going to drown and die but luckily I was saved. Ever since that frightening experience, I've only stayed in shallow water where I feel safe.

But near where my boyfriend lives there's a swimming-pool with really cool waterslides that look fun. They are high and are more like tunnel-like flumes. I'd like to visit this pool and try out these waterslides...but I'm scared I might fall under water again and not be able to get back up. I know I was only a kid when it last happened but I don't think it makes any difference, as swimming can be a skill in children as it is in adults, and adults can lack that skill just like children can.
I don't like getting my head underwater and most swimming positions involve your ears and nose going under, which I'm not up for, so it's no good having swimming lessons. I just want to go down the water flumes. How can I overcome this fear of getting stuck under water again? If the water is fairly shallow at the bottom of the waterslides, as in anywhere below my waist, then I might be able to risk doing it. But if it's any deeper, I am afraid.

I've heard of grown people drowning in a bath tub before, so I'm scared it'd happen to me at the end of a waterflume. Can it really happen?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

Don't they have lifeguards?
You could go when the pool isn't busy and check the depth, or just watch people as they come off.
I've never had any problem with water slides except for some minor bruising from the twists in the tunnel itself.
You can slow yourself down at the end by putting out your feet and hands against the side of the slide.
You stretch out your arms when you come off the end so you don't go deep and scissor kick your legs.
It's really great fun.
Once you try it I'm sure the fear will lessen.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't like getting my head underwater and most swimming positions involve your ears and nose going under, which I'm not up for, so it's no good having swimming lessons. I just want to go down the water flumes. How can I overcome this fear of getting stuck under water again?

Personally I think you need to be able to feel comfortable putting your head under water i.e. be able to hold your breath under water and not panic.
You can get ear plugs and nose clips which might help you control your fear if it's a sensory thing.
Practice at home if you have a bath , even a sink will work , just try and build up your confidence , eventually you may be able to tolerate it and then swimming lessons.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Personally I think you need to be able to feel comfortable putting your head under water i.e. be able to hold your breath under water and not panic.

I love pool slides, but virtually all of my memories of them involve my emerging from them at such a speed that I plunged into the water at the end and was submerged fully before swimming away to go again.