Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

A number of people have mentioned gastro-intestinal problems on other threads, so thought I would start a dedicated thread. Until I went on Prozac I was plagued with dyspepsia on a daily basis, which I put down entirely to anxiety, caused by having to deal with people. I was an expert on indigestion treatments and in frequent pain. Does anyone know if any research has been done on this link, because it seems common?

Mr SmokeTooMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2017, 2:48 pm

I used prozac , but only as an antidepressant .
Not sure if it helped me with digestion .
But gluten free diet surely did .

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 3:37 pm

I was a bit unclear, there. I meant that the Prozac lessens the anxiety, which causes the dyspepsia.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

Digestion problems are common with anxiety. I would say that digestion problems are not directly related to autism but that most autistics have high anxiety.

I have GERD and other digestive trouble.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:41 pm

I have an autoimmune disease that effects my digestion, and I've read that there may be a link between autoimmune diseases and autism. One of the guys that goes to the clinic I do for treatment (my disease requires IV infusions of medication) I think is on the spectrum.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:41 pm

Hmm... Interestingly, I'm a female autistic with anxiety, and I have no digestive issues.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

Yeah, I officially have moderate-to-severe illeo-colonic Crohns. I do self injections for it. I use lexapro for my anxiety issues.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

There's quite a bit of research on autism and digestive disorders. Folks with ASD have been found to carry different intestinal flora, which interestingly impacts their neurotransmitter levels and anxiety - your gut is full of nerve tissue, and has been characterized as almost like a second brain. There are feedback loops in both directions in the gut-brain axis that are affected by ASDs. I have tried about a dozen antidepressants and can't tolerate them, so that's not an option for me. I've been on a like number of anti-anxiety meds and they likewise cause me more harm than help. However I do supplement with omega-3 oils in the form of chia seeds, ground flax seed, and fish oil capsules, and these help with my chronic gut and joint inflammation. I've had duodenal and stomach spasms and inflammation since I was a kid and then almost 30 years ago I had intestinal surgery that aggravated those. I stay away from sugar, starch, and gluten (primarily ketogenic diet) and this helps some too. Probiotics and prebiotics were recommended to me and I took them for a long time, but I finally realized they weren't making a difference.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

I have had unexplained chronic gastrointestinal issues for a while now. I have really bad nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, and I can literally taste acid coming up my esophagus. I am now on a chewable probiotic as well as a medication known as Pepcid, and they seem to be helping. It is really annoying though! I have wondered if anxiety is the cause, but I have been much more anxious at other times and I never had gastro issues. I’m still not sure. I am seeing the doctor again this week though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2017, 3:50 pm

StampySquiddyFan
Post subject: Re: Gastro-intestinal issues and ASD Reply with quote
I have had unexplained chronic gastrointestinal issues for a while now. I have really bad nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, and I can literally taste acid coming up my esophagus. I am now on a chewable probiotic as well as a medication known as Pepcid, and they seem to be helping. It is really annoying though! I have wondered if anxiety is the cause, but I have been much more anxious at other times and I never had gastro issues. I’m still not sure. I am seeing the doctor again this week though.
Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017, 03:41

Before I managed to lessen my anxiety with Prozac I also had serious acid reflux. Changes to diet didn't seem to get rid of it and the only thing that did work was Omeprazole, because it inhibits acid production, rather than trying to neutralize the acid like most antacids do. With most antacids you simply produce an acid-rebound, because your body fights back. For me, anxiety was THE cause of digestive troubles.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:21 pm

^^^^^^I am seeing a psychiatrist in December to be prescribed an anxiety medication, so hopefully that will stop this, if anxiety is the root cause. I also have excessive mouth watering, and I don't know why that would happen. It isn't fun going to school like this. Thank you for your reply. I hope I can find something that works!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 4:35 am

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Incontinence and I need to take medication for the IBS and I need to wear adult diapers for the incontinence 24 hours a day 7 days a week. My family doctor tells me that many Autistics lack a certain enzyme in their intestines to properly digest food so this is a very common link with Autistics.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Last edited by xatrix26 on 21 Nov 2017, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:54 am

Not only have I had GI issues but everyone in my family does too, NT or otherwise. I do find it interesting that so many people here have the same types of problems I do.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 12:44 am

nephets wrote:
A number of people have mentioned gastro-intestinal problems on other threads, so thought I would start a dedicated thread. Until I went on Prozac I was plagued with dyspepsia on a daily basis, which I put down entirely to anxiety, caused by having to deal with people. I was an expert on indigestion treatments and in frequent pain. Does anyone know if any research has been done on this link, because it seems common?

GDIs appear to be very common with Autistics all over the spectrum but I'm sure you're right about the high anxiety factor. My therapist has classified my anxiety status as "inconceivable" and the primary reason why I'm incontinent. Aspies, Non-Verbals and Savants all seem to commonly suffer from incontinence for a wide variety of reasons.

High anxiety seems to cause a great of physical medical problems doesn't it?

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 4:24 am

I had a lot of problems with cramps or constipation when I was a teenager. For a while, tried treating it as possible lactose intolerance.

As an adult, the symptoms haven't been as severe, but often feel bloated after certain foods.

I've recently switched to using Gluten Free bread which I think is helping.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 2:21 am

Autism studies hampered by lack of reliable test for gut problems

Quote:
In his first description of autism in 1943, Leo Kanner described children with social problems, repetitive behaviors and language difficulties. But one more feature in his description would become a mainstay of autism: gastrointestinal distress.

Since his report was published, dozens of studies have documented gastrointestinal issues, such as constipation, diarrhea and abdominal pain, in people with autism.

By some estimates, more than 70 percent of people with autism have gastrointestinal issues. But other studies have pegged the prevalence as low as 9 percent. We suspect these discrepancies are in part due to the way gastrointestinal problems are measured.

Although there are good tools for assessing gastrointestinal problems in clinical practice, there are no reliable tools for use in epidemiologic studies. For these studies, we need questionnaires that a participant or caregiver can complete outside of a doctor’s office.

Not even the tools doctors use have been adapted for individuals with autism, who may have difficulty communicating. Some clinicians use parent reports to gauge gastrointestinal symptoms in children. But parents may not always know their child has abdominal cramps or discomfort, and may instead think that behavioral outbursts rooted in pain are just manifestations of autism.

Even if clinical or epidemiological tools can capture certain gastrointestinal symptoms in people with autism, not all of them include questions about diet, mealtime behaviors and other autism-related behaviors, such as aggression and self-injury. These behaviors may signal gut problems in a person who has difficulty communicating. In short, we just don’t know if these tools are measuring what we think they are in people with autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman