Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

If they become a state, then Puerto Ricans would have to pay the federal payroll tax.

"In general, United States citizens and resident aliens who are bona fide residents of Puerto Rico during the entire tax year, which for most individuals is January 1 to December 31, are only required to file a U.S. federal income tax return if they have income sources outside of Puerto Rico"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:12 pm

As Puerto Ricans would most likely vote Democrat, many of a conservative political bent have voiced their resistance against granting them statehood. That, and because so many people of Puerto Rico are darker skinned and speak Spanish, there are still some Americans who refuse to see them as fellow Americans.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As Puerto Ricans would most likely vote Democrat, many of a conservative political bent have voiced their resistance against granting them statehood. That, and because so many people of Puerto Rico are darker skinned and speak Spanish, there are still some Americans who refuse to see them as fellow Americans.

It's the Democrats that don't want Puerto Rican statehood.

"Popular Democratic Party is a political party that advocates for maintaining the current colonial political status of Puerto Rico as that of an unincorporated territory of the United States with self-government".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_D ... uerto_Rico)

Republicans like it because they support free trade.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
That, and because so many people of Puerto Rico are darker skinned and speak Spanish, there are still some Americans who refuse to see them as fellow Americans.

¿Quiénes son?
Eso sería una lástima.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's the Democrats that don't want Puerto Rican statehood.

"Popular Democratic Party is a political party that advocates for maintaining the current colonial political status of Puerto Rico as that of an unincorporated territory of the United States with self-government".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_D ... uerto_Rico)

Republicans like it because they support free trade.

From what I've found when I looked on that link was, the Popular Democratic Party is a local political party in Puerto Rico, not the national party.
And who says I was talking about the Republicans as a Party opposing their statehood?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:28 am

the_phoenix wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
That, and because so many people of Puerto Rico are darker skinned and speak Spanish, there are still some Americans who refuse to see them as fellow Americans.

¿Quiénes son?
Eso sería una lástima.

I don't speak Spanish.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

¿Quiénes son?
Eso sería una lástima.

I don't speak Spanish.

That's okay. I still see you as a fellow American. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:21 am

the_phoenix wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

¿Quiénes son?
Eso sería una lástima.

I don't speak Spanish.

That's okay. I still see you as a fellow American. :)

Sadly, it's not proficiency in Spanish that make some doubt the Americanness of certain other Americans.