Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

It is tonight and I realize its making me feel very cynical. It appears as if a lot of celebrities are trying to assuage their guilt by raising money for autism. I volunteered for awhile at the SPCA and it broke my heart to see people attracted to cute little puppies. Some people no longer wanted these cute little puppies when they grew up. To me; little small babies and small children that have autism are cute, but guess what - these cuties grow up to become adults and are scorned by society. To me, it seems as adult autism is never disscussed or is swept under the rug like it doesn't exist. How does this make you feel?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 8:48 pm

I wish that event would cease to exist, because I know where the money goes. All the stars come together with their elitism and donate their fortunes to Autism Speaks and than they pop their bottles of expensive champagne open and congratulate each other. It makes me feel that I'm going to puke it up, blue.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:52 am

In this thread I list the charity and who is behind it and discuss tonights show.
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=355573

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:23 am

Well sometimes makes me feel slightly isolated, like I've had a few times people have told me about a kid or teen with autism/aspergers and its obvious they have no idea I have it, and I get the feeling they wouldn't really believe it if I mentioned it...or maybe they would, but I don't usually bother mentioning it.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2017, 2:10 am

I mention my autism quite often. Since I work at a place where I interact a lot with children and parents, it's a subject that comes up from time to time.
I come off as "perfectly normal" in this setting, and I think it's good to mention to people that I am autistic, because it drastically changes their idea of what autism is.
I'm often met with the standard "but you don't look like it??" but a quick lecture later and they'll walk away more educated and with a new perspective.

One at a time....

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 4:47 am

Aspinator wrote:
It is tonight and I realize its making me feel very cynical. It appears as if a lot of celebrities are trying to assuage their guilt by raising money for autism. I volunteered for awhile at the SPCA and it broke my heart to see people attracted to cute little puppies. Some people no longer wanted these cute little puppies when they grew up. To me; little small babies and small children that have autism are cute, but guess what - these cuties grow up to become adults and are scorned by society. To me, it seems as adult autism is never disscussed or is swept under the rug like it doesn't exist. How does this make you feel?

Once again, I'm glad I never owned a TV.
All mammals share an instinct to nurture anything with big eyes and clumsy movement. Cross-species adoption is fairly common. Adults are expected to be self-supporting. Caring for an adult strains those instincts even if it isn't fully mature.