What was your first date like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:50 pm

I have never been on a date before, I haven't experienced talking to anyone about it and I wonder, what's it like?

It would be nice to hear about how other people's first date was like and if I do get a girlfriend it might give me some ideas on where to take her.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:49 am

My first-ever date with a girl, in year 2002, was one of the biggest let-downs of my life. Serves me right for building it up in my head too much. I expected the date to start out playful and lighthearted, then quickly become intense and romantic, where we're totally lost in each other. What actually transpired was more awkward than trying to drive a car on a field of ice! We went to a touristy promenade-type place along the river in my city's downtown, in late afternoon. To throw another monkey wrench into the whole thing, it was a cloudy day, and the river look gray and kind of depressing. Then, when we sat down to eat, I wanted to order an appetizer for two, but she wanted a sandwich; not exactly a romantic food.

It got dark later, and the city streetlights gave the river a glow that I found romantic. But the whole date was such a non-stop barrage of awkwardness, that I decided to cut my losses and suggested going back. But she wanted to window-shop first, which I found kind of boring, but didn't dare verbalize it. Throughout the date, I tried putting my arm around her; while she didn't push me away, she didn't have a counter-response of leaning into me, either. By the end of the date, I lost all hope of getting a kiss. I did get a hug, which was very dry and uninspiring by 2017 standards.

The weirdest and most ironic thing about this date, is the level of physical affection between us. A girl I'm platonic friends with today gives me far more enthusiastic, warmer hugs, than my first real date ever did. Heck, even casual platonic friends, like the women in my Meetup groups, give me better hugs than that girl did. Why? :?

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

Sounds like a ton of bad luck all at once.
Did she actually like you? It sounds like she was trying to get away the whole time. Was she really shy or anxious?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:55 pm

Damn if I know. I was so overjoyed by her showing interest in me, that I blithely overlooked everything else. Looking back, I don't blame her for acting the way she did. I was so awkward, not to mention needy and desperate, that I'm amazed she said yes when I asked her out. (Possibly because she came from another city to study at my college, and didn't know anyone.) We continued hanging out after that, and even went to a dance event a couple months later. Which was our last date. After she didn't want to dance in an embrace, I pretty much ghosted her after we parted ways that night.

I think she did like me when she met me. Otherwise, she'd never have gone on that date with me in the first place. But the way I acted destroyed any interest she felt, I'm sure. I was also too accommodating: for example, I took a long city bus ride to the satellite campus where her classes were, rather than insist on meeting at a mutually convenient place for our first date. Due to bad influences from TV, I thought that, as a man, I had to all the work all the time.

I still think it's interesting that platonic friends today are more physically affectionate with me than this girl was. Heck, even women I met on a cruise, were totally pressing into me while dancing, after meeting me minutes ago.