Has anyone here done a heavy metal detox?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 2:03 am

And if so, what kinds of results did you get?

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2017, 6:19 am

Hi, here is a paper from the Canadian Institute of Health regarding heavy metal chelation, including using the most likely treatment (EDTA):

NCBI paper

Here is an overview of the parts which I think may be relevent:

Such treatment mechanisms are very effective, even when taken orally, at removing heavy metals from the blood-stream. However, they will also remove essential minerals (other metal ions/probably phosphates in the blood), with zinc being highlighted. This means that along with such therapy, some form of mineral replacement should also occur.

There has been at least one study which indicates that use of such therapy (admittedly at high dosage for long periods and in rats) may have severe negative impacts where it is not required (i.e. where you have not been exposed to very high doses of heavy metals). The paper indicates that such a treatment for use on people (especially children) with autism is unlikely to be supported by literature sources.

My opinion: If you think you may have high serum heavy metals, get it verified by a clinic first and then get treatment appropriately. Otherwise there are many other ways to detox that don't require the use of potentially harmful chelating agents.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 6:30 am

I haven't but want to. I'm thinking about buying chlorella powder to mix in water or homemade smoothies to drink.

This webpage has lots of information:

https://draxe.com/chelation-therapy/

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 7:07 am

Good point with making sure the good metals and minerals, like zinc and iron, don't get depleted. I already take a multi-mineral supplement anyway.

Coriander (aka cilantro) is also supposed to be good for this, so probably a good thing I use this in my cooking a lot. I saw this one that combines coriander and chlorella, but it would be nice if a cheaper alternative would do the job as quickly was available: http://www.nutristamina.cz/en/baseline- ... magic.html

I would love to get tested, but I'm already having a difficult enough time getting my doctor to give me a knee injection that I clearly need, to clear up the infection that's keeping me from running in days instead of months! But it's safe to say I've got a heavy metal buildup, before I was vegan I ate at least as much fish as most people do in their lifetimes (sorry fish!), had lots of vaccines, and I think I remember having a bad habit of licking these blinds that were in my house when I was small that had lead in them, it was the 80s.

I'm hoping to do this for a couple of months first anyway, then the kidneys, then the liver. Then less sensitivity = manageable Asperger's, hopefully. :)

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

Yes, I have. I used activated charcoal, under the advisement of my OMD. Take 20 grams per day, spaced apart in two to four doses, over a 12 day period. Take it between meals/2 hours away from food. Do your own research, however, and speak with a practitioner, prior to use.

If you happen to have any amalgum fillings, have them replaced with porcelain, if possible, by a dentist, versed in the proper removal of amalgum. If you do not take this precaution, you could experience further neurological effects of the heavy metal poisoning.

The results were noticably positive. In my case, it eliminated lethargy and decreased other, more profound neurological issues.

I, also, use activated charcoal after spending time in any sort of toxic environment, and, on the occasion when I have a stomach ache.

Wishing you success.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 10:33 am

Thank you! :)

Does charcoal do anything besides clean the intestines though? I did do this recently. And I have 4 fillings, all from last year, I'm not sure if they're mercury or not.

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

It is entirely up to you, but please:

Choose Wisely

I'm not sure how you would be able to detox either the kidneys or the liver, or why you would want to do only one at a time? Kidney detox = drink more water and eat less processed foods. Liver detox = eat less fatty and processed foods, drink less alcohol and (depending on how often they're taken) take less supplements.

The 'active' ingredients that are listed in metal magic are:

Chinese parsely (cliantro) - A source of vitamins/minerals?
Humic/fulvic acid - ??? Intended as a heavy metal chelator?
Chlorella - Source of micronutrients?

Anyway, it doesn't look to me like any of these ingredients are unsafe, especially at the levels you'd get from a 4ml dropper. I can't imagine it'll taste very nice though.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

It'd be nicer mixed through juice or a smoothie, definitely. This is the detox protocol I'm following, though hopefully with cheaper ingredients, a lot of his items don't ship to Holland anyway: https://jonbarron.org/program/full-body-detox-program The kidneys are supposed to be done before the liver, as otherwise toxins flushed from the liver are likely to overwhelm the kidneys.

I know there's a lot of skepticism out there around detox, like the one article that was making the rounds a while back, something about you can't detox your body, and talking about how our livers and kidneys are meant to do that. Of course our livers and kidneys could have hacked it in the Neanderthal era, but definitely not nowadays. I'm one of the most skeptical people out there of Big Pharma, I've been stuck in the trap with them many times of keeping me sick so they can profit off of me, never again.

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2017, 3:20 pm

I'm having trouble understanding the procedures, although I can certainly understand the recovery time needed between each process step. These products are most certainly not big pharma related (I agree with your evaluation that there at least appears to be mor emphasis on 'treatment' rather than 'cure' and a 'one-size fits all' method for dealing with things - although this is changing). I'm not going to review in depth each step of the plan, but the gist, from what I can gather, is:

1: colon/intestinal cleanse:
Uses laxatives to stimulate bowel

2: Kidney cleanse:
Uses diuretics to increase excretion of body fluids

3: Metal cleanse:
Already discussed

4:Liver cleanse:
???, optional stool softeners

5: Blood cleanse
???

Again, from what I can see, these are unlikely to be hazardous to your health (as long as you stay hydrated and suitably fed, especially during the colon and kidney stages). I suppose my main concern is that these and similar products are usually very expensive and, by and large, don't usually have fantastic quality control. It might be possible to achieve similar results by changing your current diet? E.g. drinking green and yellow teas, making sure you drink enough water, make sure you move enough (exercise stimulates the bowel, and increases blood-flow throught the body), make sure you eat enough healthy foods while trying to avoid unhealthy foods.

Of course, I'm not immune to diet fads. I'm currently taking fish oil tablets because I don't eat enough fish (also it's winter so I don't think I get enough Vitamin D)!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

Shakti wrote:
Thank you! :)

Does charcoal do anything besides clean the intestines though? I did do this recently. And I have 4 fillings, all from last year, I'm not sure if they're mercury or not.

You’re welcome! : )

Well, if you think about it, a healthy GI tract results in better, over-all health of every aspect of the brain/mind/physical body, organs, neurological make-up, etc, etc. Most health issues (not all, of course) stem from an unhealthy gut. Most issues can be either, exacerbated, or relieved by way of gut health.

By the way, I just read the article that Boourns posted, further up the thread, and I’d just like to mention that activated charcoal is a natural substance, while, I think EDTA is a chemical compound, if I’m not mistaken. Like EDTA and the other remedies the article mentions, the charcoal does not affect nutrients or nutrient absorption. Nor, does it effect calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, inorganic phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, creatinine, uric acid, urea nitrogen, alkaline phosphatase, protein or urine pH. However, it’s best to take charcoal one to two hours away from food, as food can minimize the detoxification effects of the charcoal.

The way it works is, it attracts heavy metals and other toxins to the charcoal particles, in a somewhat, electric-magnetic way. Both, the charcoal and the toxins, are then, eliminated, via the bowels.

A few months, ago, I had to take an antibiotic, after the natural remedies I tried to heal with, hadn’t had an effect. The antibiotic, literally, almost killed me. I took activated charcoal to sweep all of the residual remnants of the antibiotic out of my system.

In addition to the aforementioned, activated charcoal is quite inexpensive, as you likely know, as you mentioned giving it a go.

In case anyone who takes synthetic/chemical medications reads this, it would be important to know that charcoal can effect the absorption of meds of which are not food-grade/plant based, so, it would be imperative to speak with your practitioner/mention all medications being taken, prior to detoxing with charcoal (or, anything else, for that matter).

With regard to your fillings, your dentist can tell you what material he/she has used. Make your dentist aware that you only want non-toxic (porcelain, or other) fillings, going forward. I believe the use of porcelain is common practice these days.

Best of luck with your endeavors !

Forgive my long-winded post. I hadn’t realized just how much I had written.

Last edited by Britte on 19 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:51 pm

Heavy metal detox? Sounds like giving your ears a major cleaning after listening to "Metallica" or something. :lol:

But personally, I think using detox as a form of alternative medicine is just a bunch of quackery and a waste of time and money.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:10 pm

^Hospitals (and other facilities where ‘Western medicine’ is traditionally, practiced), utilize activated charcoal as a means of detoxing various poisons/toxins, overdoses of certain medications and whatnot...

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 11:30 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Heavy metal detox? Sounds like giving your ears a major cleaning after listening to "Metallica" or something. :lol:

But personally, I think using detox as a form of alternative medicine is just a bunch of quackery and a waste of time and money.

That's a shame, as alternative medicine has so much to offer, especially for those of us on the spectrum. Definitely much more than the mainstream approach to ASD, which is more about trying to profit off of us than making us truly independent. Ultimately, it's cheaper anyway. I wasted time and money for many years with the mainstream approach, where alternative medicine is one of my special interests.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 11:44 pm

Boourns wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding the procedures, although I can certainly understand the recovery time needed between each process step. These products are most certainly not big pharma related (I agree with your evaluation that there at least appears to be mor emphasis on 'treatment' rather than 'cure' and a 'one-size fits all' method for dealing with things - although this is changing). I'm not going to review in depth each step of the plan, but the gist, from what I can gather, is:

1: colon/intestinal cleanse:
Uses laxatives to stimulate bowel

2: Kidney cleanse:
Uses diuretics to increase excretion of body fluids

3: Metal cleanse:
Already discussed

4:Liver cleanse:
???, optional stool softeners

5: Blood cleanse
???

Again, from what I can see, these are unlikely to be hazardous to your health (as long as you stay hydrated and suitably fed, especially during the colon and kidney stages). I suppose my main concern is that these and similar products are usually very expensive and, by and large, don't usually have fantastic quality control. It might be possible to achieve similar results by changing your current diet? E.g. drinking green and yellow teas, making sure you drink enough water, make sure you move enough (exercise stimulates the bowel, and increases blood-flow throught the body), make sure you eat enough healthy foods while trying to avoid unhealthy foods.

Of course, I'm not immune to diet fads. I'm currently taking fish oil tablets because I don't eat enough fish (also it's winter so I don't think I get enough Vitamin D)!

Vitamin D is very important, especially for those of us who live so far north! Since I am vegan, I get my blood tested regularly just to make sure my levels are up, and Vitamin D is the only thing I've ever been deficient in, but only since I moved to Holland. Now I supplement except for in the summer.

I worry about the fish oil fad, it seems seriously irresponsible considering the oceans are projected to run out of fish by the year 2048, thanks to overfishing. Here's a link with an interesting short history of why fish oils became popular: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 78003.html
What it doesn't say is that Inuits have one of the lowest life spans in the world, because of the meat and fish. That's virtually all they had to eat before the modern era because of scarcity, but just because it's all that's there doesn't make it ideal. Fish get their omegas anyway from eating plants such as algae, so I do the same, sometimes I'll take a supplement with algae, mostly I try to eat a lot of omega rich foods like chia seeds, hemp seeds, nuts, etc.

I might still buy the special tincture for the metals, or a cheaper one if I can find it, then my naturopath is going to help me with the liver flush in 2 months, she said to spend 2 months preparing my liver with milk thistle first so the flush will be more efficient.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 11:54 pm

Britte wrote:
You’re welcome! : )

Well, if you think about it, a healthy GI tract results in better, over-all health of every aspect of the brain/mind/physical body, organs, neurological make-up, etc, etc. Most health issues (not all, of course) stem from an unhealthy gut. Most issues can be either, exacerbated, or relieved by way of gut health.

By the way, I just read the article that Boourns posted, further up the thread, and I’d just like to mention that activated charcoal is a natural substance, while, I think EDTA is a chemical compound, if I’m not mistaken. Like EDTA and the other remedies the article mentions, the charcoal does not affect nutrients or nutrient absorption. Nor, does it effect calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, inorganic phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, creatinine, uric acid, urea nitrogen, alkaline phosphatase, protein or urine pH. However, it’s best to take charcoal one to two hours away from food, as food can minimize the detoxification effects of the charcoal.

The way it works is, it attracts heavy metals and other toxins to the charcoal particles, in a somewhat, electric-magnetic way. Both, the charcoal and the toxins, are then, eliminated, via the bowels.

A few months, ago, I had to take an antibiotic, after the natural remedies I tried to heal with, hadn’t had an effect. The antibiotic, literally, almost killed me. I took activated charcoal to sweep all of the residual remnants of the antibiotic out of my system.

In addition to the aforementioned, activated charcoal is quite inexpensive, as you likely know, as you mentioned giving it a go.

In case anyone who takes synthetic/chemical medications reads this, it would be important to know that charcoal can effect the absorption of meds of which are not food-grade/plant based, so, it would be imperative to speak with your practitioner/mention all medications being taken, prior to detoxing with charcoal (or, anything else, for that matter).

With regard to your fillings, your dentist can tell you what material he/she has used. Make your dentist aware that you only want non-toxic (porcelain, or other) fillings, going forward. I believe the use of porcelain is common practice these days.

Best of luck with your endeavors !

Forgive my long-winded post. I hadn’t realized just how much I had written.

Definitely, the gut is the missing link for ASD that really needs to be discussed more. I read about charcoal a bit more yesterday, and I kept reading to not take it within an hour of any other supplements or medications, otherwise they're not likely to be effective.

And thanks again. If this gives the results I'm hoping for, I'll be sure to share. I think whether it's mainstream or alternative medicine, it's a crapshoot either way, but it can be an informed one. Big Pharma claims they use better quality control than alternative medicine, but considering the additives put in medications, vaccines, etc, you just can't trust it. I really like alternative medicine's approach of treat the root, not the symptoms.

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 5:07 am

I found a 'liver cleanse' from 1885!

Cranes bobbon pills for the sluggish liver:
https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/adve ... electedId={C3EA2C1E-016D-4F57-A428-DF1B6CD44EBD}#

From the description, I imagine that the ingredients were much the same as modern ones.