Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:53 am

Some like to think automatically that the NT population is inferior intellectually. Of course there is no supporting evidence outside personal anecdotes.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 10:35 am

Yep. And if we're going by raw IQ, NTs are more intelligent overall, because no NTs are intellectually disabled. (I define "NT" as meaning someone who has no mental disorders.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:06 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tests.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... es/406180/

It always seemed to me to be more of an imbalance of intelligence. While we have deficit in some areas we tend to excel in others.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:30 am

As my dear grandma used to say to me,
"How can you be so smart in some ways
and so dumb in others?" :P

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:26 pm

Agreed (though surely guilty sometimes!)

I don't see anything wrong with saying "NT people really annoy me sometimes" or "here is something about NT people that I find hard to deal with." If that is the case, then it just is, and it is honest to say to. But attributing this to NT people being somehow inferior is definitely a step too far. They are just different to us, and have no choice about being different to us, any more than we could snap our fingers and stop being autistic.

The same goes for the social stuff. The vast majority of NT people do not use forms of communication that are difficult for us just to spite us. Those social instincts are hard-wired into their brains from birth and are largely sub-conscious. They don't have an "off" button for that stuff any more than we have an "on" button for it.

And NT people certainly do not have a monopoly on being selfish, arrogant, narcissistic, or any other negative personality trait, nor are all autistic people angels!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 2:29 pm

I don't feel I am smarter than NTs. In fact I feel dumber than NTs, and the things I am good at are at the same level as most NTs.

I feel that NTs have a better skill at learning and remembering new things than I do. All through school, the other kids learnt things in class and seemed to remember what they learnt and knew what to write down (obviously they didn't get everything right but they still done better than I did). Even in French classes, the other kids seemed to pick up on the language quick, while I fell way behind and was never able to speak a full sentence in French. I needed lots of support through school, and good job I did, otherwise I wouldn't of got any work done.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Some like to think automatically that the NT population is inferior intellectually. Of course there is no supporting evidence outside personal anecdotes.

Nope, lets not quit. We are often classed as disabled, despite having skills that many NT's do not. Be proud of yourself. You can make some generalizations. Of course, there are many gifted NT's, but, proportionately, I would be very surprised if there were not more gifted Aspies. We have strengths and deficits. However, society is generally ready to recognize the weaknesses, only.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:22 pm

You're welcome to continue believing ASD people are superior....it's a cute fantasy.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:23 pm

You're welcome to continue believing ASD people are superior....it's a cute fantasy.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

nephets wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:

Nope, lets not quit. We are often classed as disabled, despite having skills that many NT's do not. Be proud of yourself. You can make some generalizations. Of course, there are many gifted NT's, but, proportionately, I would be very surprised if there were not more gifted Aspies. We have strengths and deficits. However, society is generally ready to recognize the weaknesses, only.

Not all of the autistic population consists of "Aspies", though.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

You can be gifted and not be an Aspie.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:26 pm

Autistic supremacism as with all supremacism is dangerous. It gets people hurt and killed. Since autistics are such a small minority it does not represent much if any danger to humans as a whole. Autistic supremacism is dangerous to the supremacist because being delusional is harmful to one's chances of success. Autistic supremacy is dangerous to Autistics as a group because it further divides a small minority.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 10:56 pm

In the schools I've gone to for autistic students, there have been some who were "gifted". But there have been many more who had learning disabilities.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autistic supremacism as with all supremacism is dangerous. It gets people hurt and killed. Since autistics are such a small minority it does not represent much if any danger to humans as a whole. Autistic supremacism is dangerous to the supremacist because being delusional is harmful to one's chances of success. Autistic supremacy is dangerous to Autistics as a group because it further divides a small minority.

Most of the stuff I see regarding NTs this, NTs that, applies to autistic people as well.

Most are never around other autistic people full time to realize that.

In the actual real life autistic community, the term NT isn't even used amongst us that I know of. It just seems to be an online thing.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:34 pm

^^ 8O Nice one, Ezra, you really made me stop to think there. I never spent a moment of time anywhere where autistic people are numerous and we couldn't all hide behind the transience and anonymity of being online, and it had never occurred to me to question whether that makes a difference to how I see it.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:09 am

nephets wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:

I agree completely. I don't intend to "quit" anytime soon either. Those of us who are high functioning are proving to the world one ignorant NT at a time that just because we're Autistic doesn't mean we're stupid too. The world needs a constant reminder of this.

The Savants and Aspies are living proof that Autism doesn't have to be completely disabling and foolish NTs have REPEATEDLY lumped anyone ISN'T NT into a group called "mentally handicapped" and it's just not true.

Let's not forget why these forums were created too. This is our sanctuary and it isn't appropriate to advocate for NTs in an Autistic forum. Have we forgotten that continuous and intolerable abuse that we suffer at their hands?

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)