Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 3:56 pm

The government of China has banned the entry of musical popstar Katy Perry indefinitely after officials scouring through her social media pages found a image of Perry wearing a dress with sunflowers in a performance in Taipei
https://thefix.nine.com.au/2017/11/18/0 ... ecret-show

In an act of pure paranoia the PRC deemed sunflowers to be a symbol of independence in Taiwan thus banning Perry from ever entering the country. This comes after the government banned model Gigi Hadid for allegedly pulling playful facial gestures and Maroon 5 for wishing the Dalai Lama happy birthday

In a country that harvests organs from prisoners and tortures/executes people for belonging to religious groups I'm wondering if it's time we boycott Chinese goods?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The government of China has banned the entry of musical popstar Katy Perry indefinitely after officials scouring through her social media pages found a image of Perry wearing a dress with sunflowers in a performance in Taipei

I'm wondering if it's time we boycott Chinese goods?

I'm sure we can live without Chinese investments, but I wonder, can they live without us? Manufacturing upmarket clothing brands obviously needs a push but it could be just a media split reaction. Really, though, I don't see how the Chinese can be so self assured in their quests for securing future brand investments they clearly can't back on or capitalise when their futures are ties up in Trumps new global exit strategy to harvest new bio fuels from the earths core franchises the Global Agreement and impeaches on renewal whereby the citizens of the new global economy is sunbathed in a hazardous ink poll from the West on i.e climate issues which I've mentioned, high street names going bust, so no Phillip Green interceptors, and a bailout on Marine Life, with Environmental factors climbing Mount Everest, even GaGa won't be able to boycott mental health on.

Lets Leave Sky Scraper Capitalists to 'intercommerce all their sales' with high nylon nationalists and see if they finally bridge the gap between warfare and welfare once and for all.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:

In an act of pure paranoia the PRC deemed sunflowers to be a symbol of independence in Taiwan thus banning Perry from ever entering the country. This comes after the government banned model Gigi Hadid for allegedly pulling playful facial gestures and Maroon 5 for wishing the Dalai Lama happy birthday

In a country that harvests organs from prisoners and tortures/executes people for belonging to religious groups I'm wondering if it's time we boycott Chinese goods?

I am all in favor of boycotting Chinese goods.
And in fact, I have ... to the point of going years without buying new clothes,
and instead buying handmade hats, mittens, and socks from American sellers online at Etsy.
Sadly, American big-box stores are full of Chinese goods.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:

This comes after the government banned model Gigi Hadid for allegedly pulling playful facial gestures and Maroon 5 for wishing the Dalai Lama happy birthday

There is no point boycotting Chinese investors, unless we want to boycott half the land with it, of course Americans might feel differently, but seeing as there is this big hoo har of trade across open international borders, you have to imagine the impact on the worlds bio fuel energy distribution centres.Like Hinkley Point, which is promoting solar powered electricity.
Also, if it means biting the hand that feeds the investors, then maybe the foreign office has got a point to prove after all. We (the U.K),prefer to harvest our credentials, before we play to them. No green energy, no new trade deals.
What China has is a new hard backed Global Trade economy, based on a polluted mindset, that creates treason and trespass for the world Eco System.
Renewable Fuel has to be encouraged to enjoy all those green pastures that we so often dream about when we go about making ideas. The current eco system is based on lies to secure fuel ties at a lower energy cost to their suppliers, but in the process of all that, the room is filling up with smoke. Perhaps the commons have learnt their lesson after all on COSHH standards specifics and are finally acting on impulse. About time, unlike our Ocean Allies.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Wouldn't that just hurt Chinese workers? I don't see the logic in banning trade with a whole country just because their government does bad things.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:36 pm

TheAP wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Wouldn't that just hurt Chinese workers? I don't see the logic in banning trade with a whole country just because their government does bad things.

I don't see sense in it, either.
This is why us regular folk don't run countries or hold office.

The world doesn't run on feels.
/pun

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:40 pm

I had no idea that the sunflower was a symbol of Taiwanese independence - - and I seriously doubt that Katie Perry did either.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 5:19 am

^^^
Exactly. Never knew that symbolism (to me sunflowers are the state flower of Kansas), and seriously doubt that Katy Perry did either.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:30 pm

it’s sensible to at least study a country’s etiquette, laws, and taboos, instead of showing up and expecting its people to accept your ignorance in being a foreigner... even if you’re a celebrity. even in countries with a reputation of being very welcoming toward foreigners, it’s ideal to do so as to express respect for their people and culture. if respect isn’t held, you shouldn’t be there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:40 pm

TheAP wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Chinese workers have little support from unions to protect their rights.
http://www.waronwant.org/sweatshops-china

The PRC government knows the economy is competitive because of cheap labor costs. Why perpetuate slavery in China - for example I only buy my clothes if they are manufactured in South pacific or South Asia

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

Empathy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This comes after the government banned model Gigi Hadid for allegedly pulling playful facial gestures and Maroon 5 for wishing the Dalai Lama happy birthday

There is no point boycotting Chinese investors, unless we want to boycott half the land with it, =.

Countries like Australia and New Zealand have irresponsibly allowed unfettered foreign investment from China. In the last 30 years almost every unprofitable business in Melbourne seems to be owned by Chinese businesses. Real estate prices have gone through the roof as Chinese buyers bid over locals. For example where I live virtually the entire street has been purchased by Chinese buyers, none of whom speak English yet seem to be happily snapping up homes?

One indicator something is amiss is the inaccurate business data on foreign ownership which (I suspect) hides the real level of foreign ownership of industry, real estate and mining in this country.

Last edited by cyberdad on 20 Nov 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I had no idea that the sunflower was a symbol of Taiwanese independence - - and I seriously doubt that Katie Perry did either.

Remember actor Richard Gere's support for the Dalai Lama or the actions of Chinese officials during the Beijing Olympics saw some incredible pathetically "oversensitive" acts of stamping out any form of bad publicity for the PRC

China is a bit like a multinational corporation that is operating in a foreign country to the detriment of the locals and they spend millions on publicity/marketing to distract/cover up environmental degradation or abusing worker's rights

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2017, 8:54 am

As individual consumers, a boycott of Chinese manufactured goods would only make a negligible difference, if any. An international boycott would have to be initiated by federal governments - a good start would be a trade boycott - withdrawing from international trade agreements etc. and citing human rights as motivation for doing so, and perhaps legislating to prevent companies based in, for example, the United States from owning factories in or exporting to China.

The international boycotts of South Africa during apartheid are quite interesting examples.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:59 am

Utopia97 wrote:
As individual consumers, a boycott of Chinese manufactured goods would only make a negligible difference, if any. An international boycott would have to be initiated by federal governments - a good start would be a trade boycott - withdrawing from international trade agreements etc. and citing human rights as motivation for doing so, and perhaps legislating to prevent companies based in, for example, the United States from owning factories in or exporting to China.

The international boycotts of South Africa during apartheid are quite interesting examples.

Utter nonsense.

I work in the inventory business, and see first hand how 80 percent of the stuff in every box store chain in America has a "made in China" label on it. Removing 80 percent of the merchandise in our stores is not something that is "negligible". South Africa was/is a much smaller country with a much smaller impact on our economy.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2017, 2:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Utopia97 wrote:

Utter nonsense.

I work in the inventory business, and see first hand how 80 percent of the stuff in every box store chain in America has a "made in China" label on it. Removing 80 percent of the merchandise in our stores is not something that is "negligible". South Africa was/is a much smaller country with a much smaller impact on our economy.

I'm not saying removing 80 percent of merchandise is negligible. I'm saying consumer led attempts at doing so are, because I don't see them growing to a large enough extent to actually be effective. Otherwise, said boycott likely would have already happened.

South Africa may have been much smaller and less influential, but the international dependency is still there. China's international influence depends, to an extent, on the international community's willingness to tolerate it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 10:51 am

Sunflowers are also the symbol for ALS awareness.