How often do you divulge to people that you are disabled?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trev038
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2017, 11:56 am

So far I've only told 4 people I had Aspergers (which I don't see as a disability).

Funnily enough I'm in customer service too. There's a few people in my team that I suspect are on the spectrum. At least one of them is quite obvious, but there are some others who are more subtle and might not even be aware of it themselves.

One of my colleagues casually told me in a conversation he had a very mild Aspergers, whatever that means to him. I didn't ask any question and didn't say "me too", and I'm happy that I didn't say anything.

My advice would be to only tell people if it's relevant.

Strawberry_Alien
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2017, 8:34 pm

I've just recently accepted my diagnosis and started to learn how autism affects me. I hate feeling like I am living inauthenticly, and I would like my friends to understand me better. Yet, I worry that their preconceived notions would get in the way, and that that would cause them to understand me LESS if I disclosed my diagnosis. They might make assumptions about me that are not true based on stereotypes. Things that they consider fun quirks might suddenly become symptoms of a "disease", and therefore bad. Instead of an odd-but-in-a-good-way person, I might suddenly become "disordered" in their eyes. While I have my struggles, I like being who I am. I don't want to be pitied or looked down on, even if it by people with good intentions.

I've considered telling my autistic friends, but have not had the opportunity yet.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 2:56 am

A few signs for which I stand out: I might say something which someone much younger than me would say, flap my hands and fidget if I have to listen for a long time; maybe others can tell?