Do other people naturally enjoy conflict?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 2:09 am

For a long time I always thought people have an internal inclination towards stability. I mean, on the surface it seems anyone would pick a Utopia with food surpluses literally falling out of the storage sheds and a massive beautifully constructed society where the buildings are nice looking, the streets are clean, and social freedoms are maximized at the expense of people's right to be stupid and ignorant (the schools would actually work), but the more time I spend with people the more I realize that a vast majority of people behave like moody teenagers. They are edgy, aggressive, emotional, irrational, all that sort of stuff. Many people I know are also kind of sadistic. We live our whole lives being told to be kind and just, so why does such a massive amount of people decide to ignore those principles?

But this brings me to my main question. Am I an oddity for wanting to live in a stable environment? Do most people enjoy the sort of prison/bar fights that they keep getting themselves into? I think it has something to do with the fact that people with ASD are somewhat "fragile" to stimuli in general. I would never go looking to get punched the face like most normal people because the pain is magnified for me. Same goes for being yelled at, scolded, insulted, etc. Many other people seem to get into fights on a daily basis. I've been able to spot some people trying to start confrontations with ME even. They come out of nowhere and use their little cues to try and get me into a friendly sort of fight. Mostly verbal, occasionally physical. I can literally be doing my own thing and someone will find some sort of point to mock me or some way to anger me. And before you say people are different, well I admit that people are different, but a VAST majority of people seem to have these more aggressive antisocial-like traits. A VAST majority of people really do go out in search for conflict because it gives them a high. Why insult someone when you know you're gonna get it back in the face? Why tailgate, why unfairly criticize, why punch that random person in line? These things simply don't make sense. They are against the interests of both parties. The small stuff like insults or tailgating aren't as bad, but when someone decides to manipulate someone else and ruins their lives, that's bad, and it's actually WAY more common than people think.

There are places and countries out there (including my own) where we've gotten pretty damn close to a utopia if you look at the whole of human history. There were countries in the past where the society was so stable it seemed as if it would never fall. But it seems like forces of aggression and human immaturity are constantly tugging at my country's (and many other's) foundations. The founding fathers, good soldiers, cops, firefighters, and all of these other related people are obviously a minority, everyone else just wants to cause some sort of havoc. Even those people I mentioned have a power streak, but they are usually WAY more stable than your average person.

You can disagree with me all you want, I am not really set in my beliefs so I'm easy to sway, but I still think these things sometimes because other people's behaviors constantly confuse me. I stand by my claim that people are naturally aggressive and only a small minority of people actually seek to keep stability, either through fear (like many of us or people with SA) love (like parents), or morals and justice (like many cops and lawyers).

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:50 am

I think there is a side of myself that likes violent conflict, yet I'm complete content to use Video Games as an outlet for it playing fighting games or shooters even including the brutal Mortal Kombat. To act violent in real life seems incredibly primitive.

I think for people that do act this way, it's partly a means of finding their identity and relating to other people. I think they have a weak sense of their individual identity as opposed to their group identity and there are Ego issues in the mix. Perhaps this is over compensating behavior that makes them feel more impressive within their group even though as an individual they become a dick.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:51 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
I stand by my claim that people are naturally aggressive and only a small minority of people actually seek to keep stability.

I don't see why most people couldn't be both. I mean maybe most people do want stability, but fail because they're aggressive and/or some other things that get in to the way of that stability. They want it, but are unable to reach it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 6:55 am

I do believe some people enjoy conflict. Others seem not to enjoy conflict--but merely want change.

I want neither conflict nor change. I'm seen as being boring sometimes.

I believe most people want underlying stability--but occasionally have a desire to take risks.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 Nov 2017, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:02 am

People like drama and do what they can to create it. What simpletons they are.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2017, 8:24 pm

I don't think that many people want change because of how many that voted for president Trump.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition