Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 1:15 am

Henrico native talks about career success, living with autism

Quote:
Hallie Hovey-Murray was first diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder. Doctors would later diagnose her with autism at the age of 11. She went to the Virginia Treatment Center for Children for help.

“They worked with me on social interaction, how to deal with stressful situations,” Hovey-Murray said. “I really experienced sensory overload issues, so when I get really stressed, I freaked out.”

Like with Dr. Murphy, she’s overcome a great deal and turned what many saw as a weakness into her strength and inspiration.

“I think it’s incredible to have a show about someone with autism achieving success, to have a show where someone with autism is seen as confident, to have them seen as a very valuable player,” Hovey-Murray said.

As an undergraduate at Methodist University, she was president of the debate team and a member of a sorority. Now in law school at William & Mary, she’s the president of the Children’s Advocacy Law Society. She is also currently Miss Southwestern Virginia with her platform being autism awareness.

Hovey-Murray turned her platform into the non-profit “One in 68.” The organization hosts events all across Virginia bringing attention and awareness to autism.

“One in 68 is about ending the stigma of autism; it’s not only about spreading awareness and creating a culture of acceptance for people on the spectrum,” Hovey-Murray said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:54 am

A little over a year later, and she's still making news

My best wishes to her. She wouldn't be the first to compete at Miss America on the spectrum, but glad she's making news. While I always enjoy seeing NYS win the title, having Hallie win the title would bring me joy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:42 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
A little over a year later, and she's still making news

My best wishes to her. She wouldn't be the first to compete at Miss America on the spectrum, but glad she's making news. While I always enjoy seeing NYS win the title, having Hallie win the title would bring me joy.

Miss Virginia first, then Miss America, then Miss World :D

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman