Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm

Empathy wrote:
MagicKnight wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
in here it seems that in certain topics your opinions and experiences are worth nothing if you're a woman

I am a man. Sometimes there were opinions and topics of mine that seemed worth nothing. So many times it was a woman against me, trying to put my experience to dust and refuting my rights to express myself.

Nevertheless I'm still here.

This part of the forum is for Women, it states Women, and women feel comfortable here. You can express yourself inn a male part of the topic, or in stats if you feel like discussing men or women's naked bodies amongst yourselves.
It's pretty simple really.

I don't blame OP for feeling fed up with WP, or any website for the most part. It's also pretty condescending when someone who's not part of the targeted audience for the forum tries to dismiss someone's frustration.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:53 pm

^^ Pretending to be part of something you're not, is also pretty condescending, moreover if it's targeted at a female audience, and its one for every woman, not a single audience.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 8:34 am

Empathy wrote:
MagicKnight wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
in here it seems that in certain topics your opinions and experiences are worth nothing if you're a woman

I am a man. Sometimes there were opinions and topics of mine that seemed worth nothing. So many times it was a woman against me, trying to put my experience to dust and refuting my rights to express myself.

Nevertheless I'm still here.

This part of the forum is for Women, it states Women, and women feel comfortable here. You can express yourself inn a male part of the topic, or in stats if you feel like discussing men or women's naked bodies amongst yourselves.
It's pretty simple really.

This is exactly the sort of problem that has sent me here from L&D. I agree with the first comment. AND the second comment. Nobody should be made to feel that their opinion was worthless just because of their sex.

The third comment is a perfect example of making someone else feel unwelcome.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 8:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Here is my OPINION.

On a forum like this a safe space is impossible, a safer space is doable

1. For this section rules and enforcement should be tightened so that this section is similar to The Heaven

2. Moderators for this section should be autistic females. Maybe the moderators job should be only this section. I am sure there are capable men, but there is more of a likelihood that women moderators would understand the nuances and it would make more users feel comfortable to do what WP should be for, talk about issues that one fears discussing elsewhere.

This sounds good.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:49 pm

I think your suggestions are helpful and perhaps you could message Alex about them?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:14 pm

I agree with ASpartOfMe's suggestions. Sorry I am not fluent with quotes.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 5:46 am

I actually felt teamed up on and bullied here on the women's discussion. The rest of the forums were fine.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 6:02 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
I actually felt teamed up on and bullied here on the women's discussion. The rest of the forums were fine.

I think it's important to keep aware of the numbers on either side of a disagreement. An significant imbalance feels like bullying even if individual comments are not that bad. I think this is one of the probs with L&D but can happen anywhere. I leave a thread when it starts to go that way and I'm on the large side or sometimes I change sides because I can't stand it when it feels so unbalanced.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 5:58 pm

hurtloam wrote:
C2V wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I feel like I need to spend my time doing something more positive than debating things online.

Hear that!
I can't say I read many of those love & dating topics - at the moment it's like dangling meat in front of a dog - why do that to myself? But the topics titled things like "How do I tell my girlfriend she's fat?" I don't even read. What's the point in even reading into it? You know it's going to be peopled by a***holes, or else others telling them they're a***holes.
Just pick the topics you read, I think.
I find it interesting in a gender sense when women can talk about their interpersonal dating issues. It'd be a shame to let a few a***holes stop you from doing that.

Mostly because I am argumentative and can't help winding them up, but i end up feeling despondent. They've almost put me off men altogether. I have been managing to stay out of L&D so far this week.

I just wish I had someone in real life to talk to about this stuff, but my single female friends get annoyed like my feelings about my own situation are somehow a criticism of their lives and like to tell me how happy they are being single, even the depressed one's.

I've only got 1 friend who understands, but Its a bit like the blind leading the blind. We're both odd and geeky and not appealing to men it seems. We can't really help each other.

First off, I want to tell you I always looked forward to seeing what you had to say and I respect your viewpoints. I may not be able to fully understand your plight, but I do care about and respect your opinions. I am sorry there are so many men out there that refuse to take your viewpoint as a valid/equal point of view, but you must know they are in the wrong and those types of people will likely never change. There are plenty of men that view odd and geeky as a positively attractive feature so don't lump us all into a single pile. I truly hope you find some happiness in this world and I hope you come back to the wrong planet because I guarantee that you will in fact be missed, that I have no doubt about hurtloam.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 6:20 pm

I too respect your contributions here. It may sound naive of me to say so, but the misogynistic posts probably aren't as personal to the targets as they seem; it's not about you, so much, as the nature of the beast:

http://time.com/3965630/men-attack-women-online-losers/

The misogyny on WP disheartens me overall. This is a support forum (WP) and even the embittered would
be offered genuine support here if they stopped projecting their hostility onto other members, put aside their bitter resentment and genuinely asked for help. Instead they displace and dump their rage on women in general and some female members who refuse to be intimidated by the abuse. I surmise that by doing this, they try to make themselves feel powerful transiently. But WP was never created for that type of embittered aggression to be inflicted on members.

Reddit had to change its rules because of a similar group of misogynistic members who made the place intolerable.

Most members seem to value their membership here, a small cadre abuse their posting privileges. In the future there may be changes. I wouldn't mind seeing L and D as a forum replaced by a forum on Human Relationships with specific rules and a screening process before posts are approved. Unless there are other better ways of achieving better outcomes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jan 2018, 12:46 pm

Quote:
According to the study, which was recently published in the journal PLOS One, men who were worse players than their peers tended to hurl more nastiness at female gamers.
Wonder if it works also IRL. That low-status males are nastier towards females.
Or does it not depend on status as much as on one's feeling of security and self-worth?
Would welcome further studies.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 1:13 pm

The last time I was a "gamer" was in the early 1980s. I only became moderately good through assiduous practice. Instinctually, I am a sucky gamer.

There were female gamers then. I never really cared how good or bad they were.

I was only irritated by my own ineptitude.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 1:25 pm

It seems to be a crutch for a lot of people. Pick a group of people, blame them for everything that goes wrong in your life, feel better about yourself. Simple and effective, what could go wrong. :skull:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 1:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The last time I was a "gamer" was in the early 1980s. I only became moderately good through assiduous practice. Instinctually, I am a sucky gamer.

There were female gamers then. I never really cared how good or bad they were.

I was only irritated by my own ineptitude.

'A sucky gamer' :D you need to put that on the list of colloquial expressions.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 7:36 pm

magz wrote:
Quote:
According to the study, which was recently published in the journal PLOS One, men who were worse players than their peers tended to hurl more nastiness at female gamers.
Wonder if it works also IRL. That low-status males are nastier towards females.
Or does it not depend on status as much as on one's feeling of security and self-worth?
Would welcome further studies.

I would imagine it has more to do with one's upbringing and cultural influences. Social expectations apply to all genders. A male ego or manhood is rather frail even though many males boast, society puts a lot of pressure on them to act in certain ways or project a certain image. Perhaps those who boast the most are the most frail and are insecure about their manhood, feeling the need to project strength but this is mere speculation on my part. I imagine that nastiness is solely on the male in question, feeling as though their image has somehow been tarnished to look "less" then a man to other males. I am not defending that position, but rather speculating on what they are feeling and why they lash out the way they do. It is unfortunate, society places these types of outdated expectations on people.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 8:11 pm

Gamers aren’t nice people. They are the cruelest, most gang bashing subgroup of people, from my experience.

Which sucks when you are a gamer.