Why do so many of you call everyone "NT's"

Page 3 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 6:00 pm

bunnyb wrote:
I find it really sad that if you don't join in the NT bashing you get comments like " Are you a spy for the NT race? Perhaps you stumbled upon the wrong forums here. A pity. Batting for the "other" side, the NTs, whilst in the Autistic forums won't get you any sympathy here, that's for sure.
These forums are supposed to be our sanctuary, not a place where we, real Autistics, who suffer on a daily basis..."

The amount of anger in that comment is just sad and because I don't believe in an us and them mentality, that poster views me as a sell out or fake autistic person. I'm not. I'm just not an angry one.

Sounds to me like you have a good, healthy, mature outlook.
We all come from different backgrounds.
Anyways, I'm with you.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2017, 8:18 pm

bunnyb wrote:
The amount of anger in that comment is just sad and because I don't believe in an us and them mentality, that poster views me as a sell out or fake autistic person. I'm not. I'm just not an angry one.

Every group has its extremists, unfortunately Autistics/aspies aren't an exception to that rule. It's only became worse with the introduction of safe space culture, which tries to promote the view that an NT with 20+ years of autism research under their belt is less qualified than someone who's done a 15 minute online quiz and "identified" as autistic.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 8:05 am

So many people have said it already in this thread.

If they're not autistic, they're non-autistic. They may have other conditions so they're not "normal", but they're still non-autistic.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2017, 8:39 am

I call people without autism NTs (short for neurotypical) because allistic has always sounded strange to me.
A lot of the time it's not so much a word that bothers me but the way it's used. I don't like it when I see members on here complaining about NTs and saying unkind things about them. It always came across to me as discriminatory.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 9:09 am

Ah Leah, WP is where autistic people feel safe to complain. NTs have sites where they complain about us.

You don't like it? You don't have to read.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:03 am

It still seems like "NT's" are basically indefinable imaginary foes to direct social angst at.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:27 am

More times than not it is specific people in our lives that happen to be NT.

You want to know how they feel about us? Go read ASPartners. Much worse than our site.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:51 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Ah Leah, WP is where autistic people feel safe to complain. NTs have sites where they complain about us.

You don't like it? You don't have to read.

There are NT members here, and they might not feel safe with the NT-bashing. It's possible to complain without making sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people. And ASPartners does not represent all NTs.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

NTs aren't mythical creatures. They really do exist. Really are the majority. Really do have all of the power. Really do run the world. And ASDer really are disadvantaged in that world they set up.

But...

They aren't all meanies and bullies though. And often (one on one) they are nicer to autistics than other autistics are.

ASDers are entitled to vent a little bit on a site this. But...acknowledging wrongs is one thing. Replacing wrongs with your own wrongs (repaying prejudice with your own prejudice against them) is something else.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:14 am

Complaining about NT's seems to make sense at a site like this. Most on here are talking about specific people. If NTs post on here, they need to be aware.

ASPartners has lots of people on their site that feel justified in venting. I really see nothing wrong with it. Of course I don't post there. Why do NT's feel the need to tell us what to say here? They have the rest of the universe to run. Let us have our space.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

Hmm I don't need permission to vent. That's very condescending.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:27 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Complaining about NT's seems to make sense at a site like this. Most on here are talking about specific people. If NTs post on here, they need to be aware.

ASPartners has lots of people on their site that feel justified in venting. I really see nothing wrong with it. Of course I don't post there. Why do NT's feel the need to tell us what to say here? They have the rest of the universe to run. Let us have our space.

Then why can't we just focus on the specific people we're talking about, instead of implying all NTs? It's perfectly understandable for NTs to be hurt at generalized statements directed at them, and we can't tell them not to. I know the ASPartners people generalize us, but two wrongs don't make a right. Let's show them we are better.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

Hey EZRA mate I remember you!

I don't know why people bother to compare but we are all the same! I assure you!

Aside from the autistic issues of course. And then there are NT issues. AYEEEEEEEE

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:31 am

HistoryGal wrote:

What are you talking about?

Are there imaginary neurotypical folks in your head telling you what to say?

I don't see any neurotypicals on this thread giving orders, indeed I never seen ANY NT folks anywhere on WP in the years Ive been here telling us "what to say". :lol:

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:

What are you talking about?

Are there imaginary neurotypical folks in your head telling you what to say?

I don't see any neurotypicals on this thread giving orders, indeed I never seen ANY NT folks anywhere on WP in the years Ive been here telling us "what to say". :lol:

Good good good! I won't tell you what to do ever!

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

Go read your post where you said we could vent and the parameters you provided.