I'm becoming so sick of having no career

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Smart blondie28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

Ive done courses, went for job interviews and applied for hundreds of jobs. No luck

I also have trouble sticking to a decision. Such as a while back I was going to move to a place and I enrolled on a makeup course and paid a deposit. I visited the new place twice and decided I didn't want to move after all aswell as the course not fully being focused on the area/field of makeup I wanted.

I know my heart has always been somewhat in drama/theatre and it's not happening. I've tried and failed. I want to learn more on directing and hoping to learn from a basic course and worried it's too unrealistic.

A job working with disabilities would be great while trying to pursue my other interests. I don't know if it's realistic for me.

I honestly hate how things are and my life isn't going nowhere:(

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:08 pm

Hang in there.
What you say about getting a job working with disabilities
while you pursue a career in acting or directing on the side sounds
like a good plan.

(Of course, I say this as an Internet stranger who doesn't know your abilities.)

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck. :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:46 pm

I think that pursuing a job in disabilities is one of the better options for Aspies. Parents want to do what is best for there kids and some of them have the money or political influence (connections) to make jobs available. NTs mean well but it takes a long time for them to understand people on the Spectrum, so a lot of their help is ineffective.
But, what young Aspies really need are role models, adult Aspies who are willing to share their Special Interests in a way that encourages others to develop their own Special Interests.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 8:49 pm

Too bad we can't change places. I'm building up my career despite not wanting a career.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 10:10 pm

Having parents with connections makes a difference while some of us have to make our own way.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:19 pm

Theatre is a frequent goal, because it is the job most often seen being done, so statistically, success is most unlikely. Even winning a talent show is seldom a career starter. Most people only have jobs, but it is helpful to have a skill that is in demand. A fast typing speed or a quick,sure hand on a saw carriage can mean great security. Avoid a labour pool where everyone is struggling to get enough hours - be hard to replace if you want any bargaining power at all.
I chose jobs where I would learn new skills, with the aim of enjoying what I was working on, and getting enough money to live easily nearby. I never tried a big outfit, with seniority, etc. but that works for some folks.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

I can so relate to that! I've been unemployed for well over a year now and am actively looking for a new job, but so far no luck... and I'm not even picky. All I want is a job that I'm actually cabable of, won't be a risk to my health and where I can get to by walking or bus since I don't have a car.

How old are you? Do you have an education that makes you qualified for a certain profession? If not, then that would probably be a good place to start. If you can't think of anything then try to get somewhere as a trainee and see if that job interests you. If not, then find another one and if it does, find a way to become a professional. I don't really know what kind of systems you have where you're from, but here becoming an unpaid trainee is much easier than getting an actual job... I actually have an interview for that kind of thing next week. I'm most likely already qualified for that, but even being a trainee will look better in my record than just blank space.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 7:39 am

Smart blondie28 wrote:
Ive done courses, went for job interviews and applied for hundreds of jobs. No luck

I also have trouble sticking to a decision. Such as a while back I was going to move to a place and I enrolled on a makeup course and paid a deposit. I visited the new place twice and decided I didn't want to move after all aswell as the course not fully being focused on the area/field of makeup I wanted.

I know my heart has always been somewhat in drama/theatre and it's not happening. I've tried and failed. I want to learn more on directing and hoping to learn from a basic course and worried it's too unrealistic.

A job working with disabilities would be great while trying to pursue my other interests. I don't know if it's realistic for me.

I honestly hate how things are and my life isn't going nowhere:(

I know exactly how you feel. I started a career as a journalist and managed to maintain it for about two and a half years but it was probably the stupidest decision I ever made in my life. While I did exceedingly well scholastically (3.97 GPA) and managed to snag a few high-profile interviews with mayors and premiers of Canadian provinces, somebody who has social deficits and problems interpreting social cues probably shouldn't be a journalist. It simply became too stressful and a journalist's career couldn't pay the bills so I had to leave it.

I've also been searching for a job that allows for disabilities but it's not exactly sexy or upwardly mobile. The best job I found is stocking shelves at night at a grocery store because there's relatively few people and it's very predictable and consistently routine work. Actually it's perfect for someone with Autism.

I suppose at 42 years of age I've given up looking for a career and these days I'm more concerned about maintaining my sanity and keeping meltdowns and overstimulation down to a minimum. For someone whose had a heart attack at 34 years old these issues have simply become more important.

But I agree with you - finding a career that also intrigues my special interests would be ideal. I wish you good luck.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
The best job I found is stocking shelves at night at a grocery store because there's relatively few people and it's very predictable and consistently routine work. Actually it's perfect for someone with Autism.

That's the job I want! I'd also like being a filing clerk but I'm not sure that exists anymore.

rahura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2017, 4:46 pm

I can relate to how you must feel. Personally I haven’t worked in about 10 years, but I have a post secondary education. I don’t know if I can hold down a full time job right now with two kids even though I do have a husband to share the workload of the house and kids, etc. I am considering retraining at the college level as have decided to call a community program that might help me. All this has had a negative impact on my overall outlook. Asperger s is the root cause of my underdeveloped career.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 3:45 am

I keep reading the thread title as "I'm becoming so sick of having no cancer." :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 6:19 am

xatrix26 wrote:
I've also been searching for a job that allows for disabilities but it's not exactly sexy or upwardly mobile. The best job I found is stocking shelves at night at a grocery store because there's relatively few people and it's very predictable and consistently routine work. Actually it's perfect for someone with Autism.

Especially someone with an autism-related circadian sleep disorder. The catch is how actually highly sought-after those jobs seem to be. The disability support job office suggested this to me, like "just go out and get a night stacking job," as if they're hanging on trees.
No.
starkid wrote:
That's the job I want! I'd also like being a filing clerk but I'm not sure that exists anymore.

Yar - I did some training in business admin with a view towards medical records. That sounded peaceful. I have some medical training/knowledge so I would be able to spot inaccuracies, and the job would involve a lot of sorting/organizing/neatening, which I like. They, too, seem few and far between though.
One perspective - I found working in disabilities a complete and utter nightmare. I did it on a very casual basis for a few years.
Because you are doing personal things for that person because they cannot do it themselves, they assume this is somehow mutual, and it's not. This is your job. I had people asking about my sexual proclivities and my sex life, my relatives (BIG no) etc. If I refused to answer these questions I was kicked off the rosters for being "hostile."
I also found it impossible to see the same patients every week. They expect a "relationship" to be there, as if you're supposed to be their friend. Again - you're not their friend, they are part of your job and nothing more. Again, if I could not be "friends," I was kicked off the rosters.
I just could not cope with this job. You have to be a "people person."
As for career, to the OP - Yep, I hear that. Doing job research is just depressing. I tend to find out the same thing I found out working in an internship, after completion of 3/4 of my degree - it's not worth it. The job itself turns out to be disappointing. No matter how hard they sell it (and they did) or how interested you are going in, I tend to find out that the job itself is actually flat. Boring. Not worthwhile.
I always dreamed of building up a career that was utterly consuming. Work that I loved. Maybe such a high standard isn't out there? I don't know.