Why do so many of us freak out over criticism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:17 am

Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
I'm ok with criticism , as long as one who criticizes can listen to my explanations and counter arguments . What I really don't like is prejudice , which most NT's are full of .

I would have to agree with you 100% here.
NTs have nothing but prejudice because anyone who is even slightly different from them seems to scare the hell out of them. I have been a magnet for bullying from NTs for most of my life so prejudice seems to follow me everywhere I go.

Prejudice can take many different forms - in both racial and mental health forms. Of course the latter is the one I'm affected by on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 6:07 am

Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Criticism, like rejection, is a form of denial of another -- and, human nature does not like to be denied.

As in case of aspies, there are possible multiple factors why we couldn't take criticism well:

It could be because of we receive emotions and how we handle it.
This part had something to do with social-emotional maturity. And thus why we usually ended up being accused as immature reaction wise, even if this isn't the case.

It could be because since the majority do not understand our cases, they tend to be presumptuous, and many of us had enough with that.
It's a consequence of being different from others, something that most NTs wouldn't understand. And perhaps, an aspie to another since we tend to be very different from one another.

It could be because, it's about how we expect and handle changes.
At this part, it could be a two-way thing -- one's ideals clashes with another and took a firm stance on their opinions.
NTs won't react well if it's outside their culture's safe zone, and aspies won't react well if it's simply different from theirs and outside their own comfort zone. In other words, this part is a human thing. Except, in case of aspies, we're more prone to it since our views are rarely shared and be taken consideration -- unlike NTs' collective views, that sometimes, they don't have to make a change at all since they have this common view for compromise or a social module of some sorts that autistics don't usually have.

I only take criticisms well if facts are more emphasized and the reality stated first, before the subjective and indirect parts. Otherwise, I'd end up taking it as an attempt to insult me by not getting to the point first. :|

I agree with all of the above, except that criticism equals rejection. It seems irrational to me to criticize someone you reject and hence don't care about .

It is irrational to criticize someone out of rejection. :lol:

And I did said it's alike rejection (not criticism is rejection) -- a form of denial, a disagreement that humans don't usually take well. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mr SmokeTooMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2017, 6:34 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Criticism, like rejection, is a form of denial of another -- and, human nature does not like to be denied.

As in case of aspies, there are possible multiple factors why we couldn't take criticism well:

This part had something to do with social-emotional maturity. And thus why we usually ended up being accused as immature reaction wise, even if this isn't the case.

It could be because since the majority do not understand our cases, they tend to be presumptuous, and many of us had enough with that.
It's a consequence of being different from others, something that most NTs wouldn't understand. And perhaps, an aspie to another since we tend to be very different from one another.

At this part, it could be a two-way thing -- one's ideals clashes with another and took a firm stance on their opinions.
NTs won't react well if it's outside their culture's safe zone, and aspies won't react well if it's simply different from theirs and outside their own comfort zone. In other words, this part is a human thing. Except, in case of aspies, we're more prone to it since our views are rarely shared and be taken consideration -- unlike NTs' collective views, that sometimes, they don't have to make a change at all since they have this common view for compromise or a social module of some sorts that autistics don't usually have.

I only take criticisms well if facts are more emphasized and the reality stated first, before the subjective and indirect parts. Otherwise, I'd end up taking it as an attempt to insult me by not getting to the point first. :|

I agree with all of the above, except that criticism equals rejection. It seems irrational to me to criticize someone you reject and hence don't care about .

And I did said it's alike rejection (not criticism is rejection) -- a form of denial, a disagreement that humans don't usually take well. :twisted:

Sorry, I misunderstood you . Can you explain , denial of what?

Mr SmokeTooMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2017, 6:40 am

And what do you mean by:
It is irrational to criticize someone out of rejection.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 6:53 am

Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood you . Can you explain , denial of what?

Many forms of.
Denial of one's hopes, expectations, ideals, needs -- physical or nonphysical, perspectives, concepts of access or privilege, whatever a human might've want or would rather choose to have... Denial could be as direct as saying 'no' to something a bit indirect as 'couldn't'.
A part of it drives one to be stronger, smarter, and powerful -- that 'no' would become 'not yet', that 'couldn't' would become 'couldn't yet'.

Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
And what do you mean by:
It is irrational to criticize someone out of rejection.

Did I misread this part?
Mr SmokeTooMuch wrote:
It seems irrational to me to criticize someone you reject and hence don't care about .

:o But then again, English isn't my first language either.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 1:05 pm

What I don't get is people who post a topic looking for people's opinions, but choose to only listen to answers or suggestions they want to hear, no matter how wrong those might be. I've seen a few people who just fish for someone that agrees with them so they can justify their own deplorable actions. It can be frustrating when you try to help someone that proves they weren't worth helping in the first place. Negative criticism is a cue to the receiver that they need to reevaluate themselves instead of continuing to think that the blame lies elsewhere.

Ardentmisanthrope23
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

Fair enough.

But I care. A lot.
(My username is "tongue in cheek" BTW)

Last edited by Ardentmisanthrope23 on 27 Nov 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

I was actually referring to another member, not this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Ardentmisanthrope23
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2017, 6:22 pm

Oh...no worries :oops:

But I care. A lot.
(My username is "tongue in cheek" BTW)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:27 am

Interesting thread.

I used to snap and not take criticism well. I had a very short fuse, and my reactions were not.. socially acceptable.

Now that I have my symptoms under control, for the most part I take criticism very well. Well enough that NT's who don't know I'm ASD have complimented me on my ability to take criticism very well & act on it to improve myself and my work. Criticism doesn't make me snap and react at all like it used to. I listen, I process, I learn, I change, I grow - I appreciate criticism more than ever for all the opportunities it affords.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

MoatsArt wrote:
I'll answer your question with another: How many people here are perfectionists?

Brilliant! Yip

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

I don't criticise others very often. I am bad at taking criticism, I'm not that good at taking kindly meant advice. It's because I get so much of it. Everyone is sure that if only I went to Uni, if only I got out and met people, joined groups, made an effort, had more ambition, found a better job, with more hours and more responsibility and more opportunities, then my life would miraculously become perfect. Oh and I should stop being obsessive, because that's just silly. When someone advises me to sit on the sofa with a good book and a packet of bickies, I'll listen. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 2:16 pm

What's a "Bickie?"

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 2:21 pm

I'm guessing, biscuits.
Cookies?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 3:07 pm

I think for many of us its being gun-shy. If somebody has received critism their whole life they tend to recognize disrespect immediately. You finally reach a point where you (subconsciously or consciously) think "I may not be like you but I am fine the way I am" and if you can't accept that; fxxk-off!