Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

I'm currently starting out in training for the triathlon, it's the outlet I needed with the stress in my life. But I've been plagued with injury over the last few months, first I've already been off running for 6 weeks because of an illiotibial band injury, that was almost healed, then I broke my tailbone a few days ago. For at least a month or 2, the only cardio exercise I can do is swimming.

I was able to sustain swimming for 2, maybe 3 times a week, but that was hard, I've always had a sensory issue with water. But the after effects feel amazing, and it is really good for stretching out the body, so that does keep me going. But if it's the only cardio I can do for a couple of months, I really need to swim at least 5 times a week while I'm recovering, in order to keep my fitness up so that the marathon I wanted to run this spring is still realistic.

So what are some good motivational tips to help someone who has sensory overload issues stay motivated to keep swimming?

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm

I'm a swimmer. I haven't had access to a pool in a while, but hoping to get back to it soon.
Only issue I have with water is if I can't see through it, though. Then I'm absolutely terrified of it. Other than that I love the feel of being in the water.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:37 am

I have been swimming my entire life. Swimming actually, relieves my sensory issues, although, I don't happen to have sensory problems pertaining to water. What is it that bothers you? Is it the water splashing your face? The temperature of the water?

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 2:43 am

Britte wrote:
I have been swimming my entire life. Swimming actually, relieves my sensory issues, although, I don't happen to have sensory problems pertaining to water. What is it that bothers you? Is it the water splashing your face? The temperature of the water?

The temperature, I've always had a phobia of cold water. The breathing too. And feeling on display, I am pretty fit because of the amount I work out, and given a bad history with men, I feel like men, especially older men, enjoy staring at me too much. I usually wear a 1-piece to do my swim training, saving the 2-piece for the beach, and have thought about investing in a trisuit. Triathlons are usually done with a wetsuit on, so that helps with not wanting to be eye candy. I thought this would go away as I got older too, but I'm almost 36 and fitter than I have been at any other time in my life. Still though, I'm not there to be stared at, I'm there to train.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 2:47 am

Which is also one reason I prioritize strength training too. I need muscles for competition anyway, but I figure a ripped female is less likely to be harassed than a woman who has curves, both are attractive but the curvy woman is less able to defend herself in the event of harassment, and is also way more intimidating.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:49 am

Cold water "is more dense, so you can swim faster". It has a bit to do with your body temperature, sweat, radiative cooling. Working out in a hot pool can be dangerous.
I have always had a problem feeling like I'm on display, especially around the pool. I think it's difficult for people to really see anything, though, once you're in the water. It's pretty much the only form of exercise I can do around people. But once I'm in the water, it's just me and the water and the line on the bottom of the pool. I can't see anyone else, can't hear anyone else. Can't even really hear the crowd. I don't have to rely on anyone else. Just move as fast as I possibly can and breathe as little as I possibly can.
And I find ripped women incredibly attractive, but I can keep that separate, and don't get grotesque about it. Sometimes I catch myself staring (which creeps people out regardless of the circumstances), but it's really got a lot to do with anatomy, in this case. I think it's amazing to see the body in motion, see muscles engaging. Women or men. Doesn't matter. It's fascinating. That being said, I rarely wear less than long sleeves and long pants, and if I could get away with it I'd wrap my head up and wear a veil like a Tuareg man.
Breathing is different in the water, you have to do it consciously. Once you figure out the process it's not so bad. Breathing costs time.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 1:16 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
Cold water "is more dense, so you can swim faster". It has a bit to do with your body temperature, sweat, radiative cooling. Working out in a hot pool can be dangerous.
I have always had a problem feeling like I'm on display, especially around the pool. I think it's difficult for people to really see anything, though, once you're in the water. It's pretty much the only form of exercise I can do around people. But once I'm in the water, it's just me and the water and the line on the bottom of the pool. I can't see anyone else, can't hear anyone else. Can't even really hear the crowd. I don't have to rely on anyone else. Just move as fast as I possibly can and breathe as little as I possibly can.
And I find ripped women incredibly attractive, but I can keep that separate, and don't get grotesque about it. Sometimes I catch myself staring (which creeps people out regardless of the circumstances), but it's really got a lot to do with anatomy, in this case. I think it's amazing to see the body in motion, see muscles engaging. Women or men. Doesn't matter. It's fascinating. That being said, I rarely wear less than long sleeves and long pants, and if I could get away with it I'd wrap my head up and wear a veil like a Tuareg man.
Breathing is different in the water, you have to do it consciously. Once you figure out the process it's not so bad. Breathing costs time.

I do keep forgetting that the hardest part is getting in the water, and you're right, once all people can see is my head above water I already feel way less on display. Swimming is a definite exercise in overcoming fears, which is probably a great part of gleaning how to coexist with ASD. Watching the human body in motion is really fascinating, I enjoy it even if I'm not sexually attracted to the person I'm watching. And it's lots of hangup from older perverts who gave me grief when I was younger. I think once I'm over the 40 year old mark, maybe it will actually feel good if people are still staring, as I am pretty obsessed with the idea of still kicking ass in sports when I'm 80+. It's not about looking good anyway, it's about functioning well, and when you function well you look good by default.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 1:39 pm

Hi. Sorry, I just returned. I second what elbowgrease mentioned about water temp. Once your heart-rate/body temperature is raised, the cold water will, effectively, benefit you/your workouts. Enjoy your training and much success with the triathlon!

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

This might sound slightly crazy to some, but I recently had a past life reading, and uncovered some info that I killed myself by drowning myself in an icy lake in one past life, and also that I was executed for being a witch 5 times. One common way witches were tried back in the day is to throw them into water, if they float they were found guilty and brutally executed, if they sank they were found innocent but probably didn't live to tell about it. And uncovered that the reason for this running injury is to make me do more swimming so I confront this trauma. I could see it, swimming has a very intense effect on me in more ways than just the physical aspect, energetically it feels even more intense than most yoga I've done!

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:00 pm

I love the water. I admire that you're getting past your water-related fears. I was afraid of the water as a kid, and the only way I knew to face the fear was to do it and feel good when only good things happened.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

Swimming is intense exercise. Super low impact. Can be very meditative.
My mom threw me off the high dive when I was two, and i swam.
It was so awkward to be on a swim team. At meets, I'd be in front of a couple hundred people wearing some tiny Speedos. It was really, really overwhelming.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm

I found a gym that's just a 2 minute bike ride from my place where I could swim any time it's open, that has a sale going for €12/week that I could cancel at any time. I keep meaning to enroll there, but the last few days I've had a lot of public meltdowns, which has held me back. That one is much less crowded than the municipal swimming pools, and the municipal ones here are only open to the public for only an hour at a time either super early in the morning, or in the evenings, when I'm usually having to teach yoga or pilates classes. So the gym seems like a good option, but I feel really fragile right now. As soon as I get past this meltdown phase, if I do, I'm joining.

justRob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2017, 10:17 am

Another triathlete here! Or at least, I like to think of myself as one. I was super into tri's and training for a few years (2011-2013), before I broke my badly leg in an accident. I was very into drinking for many years before that, that was basically a special interest for me and a common interest that fueled my social scene and talking points with my friends. Getting into tri's gave me a new focus and access to a new social group, where I had a new subject I could something to talk to people about. It was a smaller group that I could talk fitness with than drinking but it was (and still is) a much healthier and more sustainable one.

I love swimming but only find myself doing it once every month or so at the town pool ($6 per visit, not bad!). But when I'm injured and cannot run, then I get a floatation belt and "run" through the pool (not touching the bottom). It's the closest thing to running you can do without impact! It was painfully boring at first but I got a waterproof MP3 player to pass the time and now I really love it. You just need a deep pool, as you can't do this if your feet reach the bottom.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 10:23 am

I used to swim laps decades ago before I was married. Once I got involved in other activities such as circuit training, the swimming became more of an occasional change-of-pace thing. I just recently joined a Y that has a pool, but so far I've only used the gym.

The main reason is the amount of time required to get ready to swim then washing up after. I'll probably try it out sometime soon, but I doubt I'll make it a regular part of my exercise routine.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 10:19 pm

Shakti wrote:
Britte wrote:

The temperature, I've always had a phobia of cold water. The breathing too. And feeling on display, I am pretty fit because of the amount I work out, and given a bad history with men, I feel like men, especially older men, enjoy staring at me too much. I usually wear a 1-piece to do my swim training, saving the 2-piece for the beach, and have thought about investing in a trisuit. Triathlons are usually done with a wetsuit on, so that helps with not wanting to be eye candy. I thought this would go away as I got older too, but I'm almost 36 and fitter than I have been at any other time in my life. Still though, I'm not there to be stared at, I'm there to train.

So, more or less, anxiety? I'm curious if using epsom salts on your skin daily (best absorbed through the bottom of your feet than anywhere else) might relax those anxious thoughts & feelings, as well as ease sensory issues. For me, the main benefits after ~5 days were lifting my horrific depression, easing my anxiety to tolerable levels, and decreasing audio sensitivity big time. Worth a very inexpensive try, IMO.

Merganser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2017, 9:59 am

I really enjoy swimming. I find it very relaxing as well as challenging. It feels very good to progress at the strokes and to become fitter. My favourite stroke is breaststroke because I can go quite fast with it and don't tire as quickly as with backstroke and front crawl. I am a perfectionist though and I feel unhappy after a swim if I don't think I've improved in some way.

To other swimmers: what is your favourite stroke and why?