Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Merganser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2017, 9:59 am

I really enjoy swimming. I find it very relaxing as well as challenging. It feels very good to progress at the strokes and to become fitter. My favourite stroke is breaststroke because I can go quite fast with it and don't tire as quickly as with backstroke and front crawl. I am a perfectionist though and I feel unhappy after a swim if I don't think I've improved in some way.

To other swimmers: what is your favourite stroke and why?

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2017, 12:48 pm

I'm finding with backstroke I can really fly through the water compared to freestyle. It works the muscles in exact mirror image to freestyle anyway, so my swimming workouts are usually 5 laps freestyle 1 backstroke, 4 freestyle 1 backstroke, 3 freestyle 1 backstroke, and so on down to 1, which is 1 km altogether. If I have more time and energy, I'll start with more laps. Once I get to triathlons, assuming my backstroke is still this fast compared to freestyle, my strategy will probably swim freestyle long enough to be free of the pack, then flip over onto my back to really get ahead of the pack. :)

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

Merganser wrote:
To other swimmers: what is your favourite stroke and why?

Mine are Freestyle + Butterfly. Freestyle, due to the relaxed state it brings me to, and Butterfly, for the flow, as well as the strengthening of back and abdominal muscles. I utilize all four strokes, however. I also do a side stroke, which isn't, actually, an official stroke.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2017, 11:52 am

I've heard the butterfly is among the most difficult movements for the human body to do, swimming or not. Would it have much value for an aspiring triathlete?

Well, since I've made this post, I think I've overcome my fear of water, being injured did a lot to make this swimming intensive possible. Though a lot of Dutch people I've talked with at the swimming pool swear by a cold shower afterwards, saying it feels really good. I'm skeptical. I've never been good with cold water, and I'm glad wetsuits are the norm with triathlons.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Merganser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2017, 4:41 am

Kelby wrote:
Mine are Freestyle + Butterfly. Freestyle, due to the relaxed state it brings me to, and Butterfly, for the flow, as well as the strengthening of back and abdominal muscles. I utilize all four strokes, however. I also do a side stroke, which isn't, actually, an official stroke.

I haven't done butterfly yet. I'm still improving at the others. It looks like fun. Is it the hardest stroke?

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 4:52 am

I was never good at swimming and it took me longer (as with other things such as tying shoe laces, riding a bike) to learn how to swim. Unfortunately, my parents didn't decide to follow up on this and my other struggles when I was younger so I went undiagnosed. They just thought I was bad at doing things, bad at making friends and generally a problem child.
I get stressed in water, even when I take a bath. I absolutely hate water touching my face or diving underwater. I remember there was a big deal with my swimming class when I was about five because I refused to dive underwater to collect a rubber ring - I didn't even attempt to do it. I hated all through school being told that I MUST participate in swimming carnival races. It was horrifyingly embarrassing for someone who is such a slow and weak swimmer. I pissed the teachers off by diving in with the other kids and swimming to the nearest ladder to actually save myself the embarrassment of swimming so slow. Other kids thought it was hilarious anyway. :(

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 4:58 am

Shakti wrote:
I'm currently starting out in training for the triathlon, it's the outlet I needed with the stress in my life. But I've been plagued with injury over the last few months, first I've already been off running for 6 weeks because of an illiotibial band injury, that was almost healed, then I broke my tailbone a few days ago. For at least a month or 2, the only cardio exercise I can do is swimming.

I was able to sustain swimming for 2, maybe 3 times a week, but that was hard, I've always had a sensory issue with water. But the after effects feel amazing, and it is really good for stretching out the body, so that does keep me going. But if it's the only cardio I can do for a couple of months, I really need to swim at least 5 times a week while I'm recovering, in order to keep my fitness up so that the marathon I wanted to run this spring is still realistic.

So what are some good motivational tips to help someone who has sensory overload issues stay motivated to keep swimming?

On a completely unrelated topic, I always find your username makes me feel amused in a happy way because my next door neighbour has a tiny siamese cat called Shakti and she is beautiful, very talkative and a self-proclaimed princess. I love her.

Random.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

Merganser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2018, 4:38 pm

What do other swimmers do to improve?

I have lessons, and also watch YouTube videos sometimes. I have only been watching 'Lovely Swimmer' videos lately, which are in Korean but I like them because they are short and focused. When swimming I try to improve at just one or two things, so I don't have too much to think about it.