Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:58 pm

Personally I struggle with this, I either speak too loudly, or too quietly, and I am often oblivious to this unless it's pointed out to me.

Anyone relate? :?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:00 pm

Yep.
Auditory processing issues.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:04 pm

I do. Most often I'll speak too softly because my voice sounds louder to my hypersensitive ears than it does to most people, but on occasion when I get really caught up in a conversation, my voice will get louder than I realize.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:17 pm

Yeah. I get really loud sometimes and don't realize it. Actually happens quite a bit, relatively speaking.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2017, 9:34 pm

I'm really softly/quietly spoken. Sometimes even when I think I'm talking loudly or have talked louder
Cos the person can't hear they still don't seem to get it. So maybe I'm a bit of a mumbled too. I don't know. It frustrates me though

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:39 pm

I speak too softly because of speech disorder.
I hate it. It makes people automatically assume I'm weak, uncertain, or shy. I'm not. Currently having work done to try and fix it, but so far, no joy.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:45 pm

My son has this problem. When asked a question he takes way too long to answer and often we can't hear what he says and have to ask him to speak up. It's very frustrating for us and I think it must be even more so for him. Strangers often think he's being rude or is in a bad mood because he doesn't appear to be responding to them.

I'd be interested to know if there is a way to help him with this problem. He's sixteen by the way.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2017, 2:21 am

Yes...I especially remember this happening when I was a kid and my family and I would go out to eat. I'd order my food and think I was talking in a perfectly audible voice, but the server would have trouble hearing me and my parents would tell me how I needed to speak up. I was a shy kid, but I was genuinely trying to talk louder and to me, it seemed like I was talking loud enough. Happened in school too, when the teacher would call on me and not be able to hear me and tell me I needed to talk louder.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 3:08 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I do. Most often I'll speak too softly because my voice sounds louder to my hypersensitive ears than it does to most people, but on occasion when I get really caught up in a conversation, my voice will get louder than I realize.

I think you just summed up my life in one paragraph. 8O

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 6:04 am

I had never really thought about this that much. However it could explain why people quite often mishear what I say(that or poor diction). Then again when I'm agitated I've been accused of speaking too loudly.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 8:54 am

All the freaking time.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:33 am

Growing up my parents were always telling me my voice was too loud. On two separate occasions, they took me to get my hearing checked, and it came back normal both times.

I tend to think I'm better now than I was growing up, but the volume of my voice has come up a few times in my performance review at work, so clearly the problem hasn't gone away completely...

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm

Most of the time I'm not loud enough. My voice doesn't carry as well as most people's voices. The only time I am too loud is if I'm somewhere where I have to be quiet like a library. I don't like to whisper because I'm much harder to understand when I whisper.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

Yep, I have this problem too. My voice is either so quiet people can't hear it, or it's really loud, especially if I am talking about something exciting.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

Generally loud and too quick, made worse by the fact that voice carries.

Even when talking "to myself" its generally audible, but (thankfully!) not decipherable.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 7:17 am

I speak normally very quietly and all the time am asked to repeat what I've said. But especially in silent places I seem to be not able to adjust my volume and tend to speak louder than everybody else does. Then I'm always warned to keep it quiet, kinda frustrating.