Online Uni courses? Any advice from students/instructors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

Posted a thread in off topic as I overlooked this sub forum.

Long story short: Doing some early planning for taking online classes in the new year.

I remember reading that there are some instructors of online classes on these forums.

I went to business school live in person. I've taken some correspondence courses. I've never taken an online class.

Any advice from teachers or students is appreciated. I know everyone's different in the way they learn and all that, but still interested in what others have to say about course load and mix etc. i.e. would you advise taking one single class at a time? 2? more? Similar classes at the same time? Completely different classes to mix things up?

Thinking about taking free online classes to start with (that count as transfer credits to my local Uni) & eventually becoming a full time student in the future if I can make the grade. Basically want to set myself up for the greatest chance of success - of not only completing classes, but scoring as highly as I possibly can. So, if that means that the very best way to do so is to do one class at a time and REALLY focus on it and complete it ASAP, write the exams, and move on to the next - then that's the process I'll follow.. unless it makes more sense to take 2 or 3 at a time etc.

Maybe I'll start with one single class in the new year and see how that goes, then figure out whether I take one at a time after that or more ? Obviously I can figure it out for myself and change things up that aren't working for me, but figured I'd make a thread and seek advice from those who've done (or taught) the online study thing in hopes that I might learn something valuable from each of your experiences. 8)

gamespeopleplay
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2017, 5:26 pm

I am currently studying a degree part time and my university offers trimesters (3 study periods) per year as well as online courses. I have done what you have spoken about and only enrolled in 1 class at a time so i can do my very best in each class.
Currently i am studying environmental sustainability online and the only time i have to go into my uni is for my final exam. I like that i can pace my workload and study whenever i please. The course structure is setup so that all the information is on my university online portal and i think it's a great option for those on the spectrum wanting to study.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 3:09 pm

gamespeopleplay wrote:
I am currently studying a degree part time and my university offers trimesters (3 study periods) per year as well as online courses. I have done what you have spoken about and only enrolled in 1 class at a time so i can do my very best in each class.
Currently i am studying environmental sustainability online and the only time i have to go into my uni is for my final exam. I like that i can pace my workload and study whenever i please. The course structure is setup so that all the information is on my university online portal and i think it's a great option for those on the spectrum wanting to study.

See, thats the thing.. it might turn out to be GREAT for me, since I can read and write and study other material online - however - the internet has it's distractions, too. Sooo maybe that won't be so great compared to physically being in a classroom. I won't really know until I give it a go myself, I guess. I suppose as long as I'm focused on my goals I'll be able to do it.. but I don't just want to complete a class or two, I want to excel at them. Hmmmm I guess I'll simply find out in the new year sometime when I get started on some class or another. Only time will tell how focused I can be. I'm hoping that I can sort of hyperfocus on it as a priority in my life vs. feel like I'm forcing myself to do something I don't want to, resulting in distraction and procrastination. Or maybe there'll be some sort of balance between the two lol but ideally my brain will just flip on like a switch and say "THIS is what you're doing. Do it!"

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 3:52 pm

I think taking one to start is the way to go. That way you can figure out if the logistics work for you and if you have the focus to be able to do it on your own. If it works well, you can then pick up more as needed.

(I've taught in-person classes but not formal classes online.)

There Are Four Lights!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

Darmok wrote:
I think taking one to start is the way to go. That way you can figure out if the logistics work for you and if you have the focus to be able to do it on your own. If it works well, you can then pick up more as needed.

(I've taught in-person classes but not formal classes online.)

Pretty sound advice. No sense in taking on 2 or 3 at once and then doing poorly, or failing to complete them etc. Just one will teach me a lot in terms of learning style and course delivery format etc. IF I find it's next to impossible for me to do outside of a classroom, then I'll pay the $ for classroom tuition. But ideally I'd be able to bang off all the classes I can online for a fraction of the cost of attending classes in person.