Can anyone explain American Football to me?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:33 pm

Shakti wrote:
Oh definitely. I followed it when I was a teenager because I thought I had to to fit in, now I could care less about it. I think the reason American football players wear helmets and rugby players don't is your chance of getting sued in the US is a lot higher, just my theory anyway.

It's got more to do with how they tackle, at least at this point. American (and Canadian) football players often lead with their head, which is quite different from how I learned to tackle in rugby.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:36 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I would like to know why it's called "football." I mean as far as I know the players carry the ball in their arms, don't they? Do they do anything with their feet other than run? If they don't then why is it called football?

It evolved out of earlier games that were also called football. Throwing/catching/carrying football games like gridiron football, rugby and Aussie Rules represent one branch, with association football representing the other. It's called 'football' because it's played on foot, not directly in relation to using one's feet to move the ball; as opposed to ball games played on horseback, like polo.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う