Deceit in Japan and a failed Australian cover up

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

Video of a Japanese ship with the word "research" painted on its side killing and pulling in a whale have been released after a 5 year legal battle between conservation charity Sea Shepherd and the Australian government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/42147718/j ... ed-to-hide

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 3:53 pm

The Japs have been researching different versions of whale and dolphin Sushi for years so technically they are correct

Nothing like good o'l self-centered east Asian cultural demands overriding common morality

Oh wait!! well even the harbingers of environmental responsibility aren't immune to a bit of whale blubber
http://time.com/4370478/norway-whaling-report/

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm

Nice job Sea Shepherd.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 6:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The Japs have been researching different versions of whale and dolphin Sushi for years so technically they are correct

Nothing like good o'l self-centered east Asian cultural demands overriding common morality

Oh wait!! well even the harbingers of environmental responsibility aren't immune to a bit of whale blubber

Just to let you know, while "Jap" might be acceptable in Australia, in other places it's considered an offensive racial slur.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:03 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Just to let you know, while "Jap" might be acceptable in Australia, in other places it's considered an offensive racial slur.

He must have borrowed the phrase from us and in turn from the U .S for bombing Pearl Harbour.. correct me if I'm wrong.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 7:37 pm

Empathy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

He must have borrowed the phrase from us and in turn from the U .S for bombing Pearl Harbour.. correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno know who invented "Nip" and "Jap".

But be aware that Australia and New Zealand (then semi independent parts of the British Empire)are (a) both located in the Pacific Ocean, and (b) were our allies, in the Pacific Theater of WWII, and Australia narrowly escaped being conquered by the Japanese. So they had the same reasons to hate the Japanese as we did, and therefore might very well have hit upon the same insults for them as we did. British Empire territories (New Guinea, Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong) fell to the Japanese at the same time as the attack on Pearl Harbor. So they entered the war the same time that we did.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 2:05 am

No "nips" is racist but not "japs"

Both "yanks" and "Japs" originate from WWII newsclippings

While we Aussie "blokes" weren't too impressed with you'se "yanks" stealin our "shielas" (famous saying was US servicemen were overpaid, oversexed and over here)

Despite that we are eternally grateful "you'se blokes" for savin our "hides" from the "japs" at Midway...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 2:07 am

I'm actually sincerely disappointed nobody thought my sushi joke wasn't funny?

I shall sulk for a little while

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 2:21 am

cyberdad wrote:

While we Aussie "blokes" weren't too impressed with you'se "yanks" stealin our "shielas" (famous saying was US servicemen were overpaid, oversexed and over here)

Despite that we are eternally grateful "you'se blokes" for savin our "hides" from the "japs" at Midway...

Yes, American papers did in fact use that word, but it was indeed terribly racist.
Sorry that you sushi joke got past me. :oops:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 9:01 am

I think that most of us got the sushi thing, and silently smiled.

Its kinda like I have been doing independent research on the health effects of beer.

And I have never taken a cent of tax payer money to fund my "research".

And no animals were ever harmed!

I use myself as a guinea pig! :lol:

Much more study is needed! :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 29 Nov 2017, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, American papers did in fact use that word, but it was indeed terribly racist.
Sorry that you sushi joke got past me. :oops:

Yeah I suspect that "Nip" is British in origin (but we also used it during the war), and "Jap" is probably of American origin, and spread to the British Empire countries via American newsmedia. Spike Jones did a wartime song called "You're a Sap, Mr. Jap".

But we also called the Germans "the Jerries", or the "Krauts". In fact the US Army still uses "Jerry cans" for gasoline (our military liked their portable gas cans and immitiated the design, and named it after the enemy we got the idea from).

In the First World War the Brits called the Germans "the Huns" and "the Bosch" (Kraut might have been used then also, not sure). The late entering Americans in the First World War pretty much followed the Brits in nomenclature.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I think that most of us got the sushi thing, and silently smiled.

Its kinda like I have been doing independent research on the health effects of beer.

And I have never taken a cent of tax payer money to fund my "research".

And no animals were ever harmed!

I use myself as a guinea pig! :lol:

Much more study is needed! :lol:

Yes that's the wonderful aspect of self-administered research is the increased latitude for exploration normally encumbered by bothersome human ethics committees

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In the First World War the Brits called the Germans "the Huns".

Yes Prince Phillip famously said that the English are of "Hun" stock (meaning warrior stock) which is amusing as the Huns were originally a turkic people from central Asia.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Granted! I won't use it again...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Granted! I won't use it again...

8)

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 2:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Empathy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

He must have borrowed the phrase from us and in turn from the U .S for bombing Pearl Harbor.. correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno know who invented "Nip" and "Jap".

But be aware that Australia and New Zealand (then semi independent parts of the British Empire)are (a) both located in the Pacific Ocean, and (b) were our allies, in the Pacific Theater of WWII, and Australia narrowly escaped being conquered by the Japanese. So they had the same reasons to hate the Japanese as we did, and therefore might very well have hit upon the same insults for them as we did. British Empire territories (New Guinea, Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong) fell to the Japanese at the same time as the attack on Pearl Harbor. So they entered the war the same time that we did.

Um, you sure about that? :? I'm pretty sure we (Australia) entered WW2 in 1939. Pearl Harbour was December 1941.