Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 2:32 pm

Dress professional even if the others are sloppy. Of course this applies to indoors professional type jobs. Nobody needs to see purple hair in a workplace unless you have a Hot Topic gig.

Keep your skills fresh. Learn new ones.

Last, don't get involved in the hen gossip parties in the break room. Keep to yourself. You don't want to sound needy. If you know that group convos aren't your thing than don't try it. You don't want people to see your autistic traits.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

AMEN.

Do your job, work harder than 75% of everyone else, follow all the rules no matter how much of the rest of the workforce is breaking them.

DO NOT TRY TO PLAY THE SOCIAL GAME. You're not there to make friends. Keep your head down, and your mouth shut.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm

You got that right! I'm there to make a living not make friends. Don't get caught up in that.

Don't get comfortable. Don't get sloppy even though others are wearing jeans. Go the extra mile to look nice. My clothes aren't expensive but they are well put together. Having a tall slender frame allows me to look striking with my wearing lots of neutral colored slacks with vibrant earth tone blouses. Keep the jewelry simple and elegant.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2017, 9:40 am

Keep smiling and listen more than you talk. Don't interrupt a manager unless you really have to.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 10:25 am

Make yourself into someone people want to work with or hire.

Never lose focus on what needs to be done.

It's a small world, so don't be a jerk. Because one day when you are going for that dream job your behavior could shut that door before you even reach for the knob.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 12:22 pm

Always be civil to everyone you work with, even the people you don't care much for.

Always be the bigger person.

Don't leave any coworkers out of the loop on job related stuff.

Don't tell other people how to do their jobs or do their jobs for them.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm

Elaine has the right idea☺ .

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Dec 2017, 7:32 pm

Keep a close eye on changing policies, make sure you wear your uniform properly if you were issued one, and don't be afraid to speak to whoever's in charge if you need clarification on a task. Getting informed on how to do what you need to do is better than just winging it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about your job. Do the best you can every day, and don't stop aiming for higher! Keep an updated resume and keep track of your hire/quit days.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:04 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Dress professional even if the others are sloppy. Of course this applies to indoors professional type jobs. Nobody needs to see purple hair in a workplace unless you have a Hot Topic gig.

Keep your skills fresh. Learn new ones.

Last, don't get involved in the hen gossip parties in the break room. Keep to yourself. You don't want to sound needy. If you know that group convos aren't your thing than don't try it. You don't want people to see your autistic traits.

lol wow how times change..

Yes, I agree, dress professional even if others are sloppy - but don't dress several levels above what's required, that'll just make you stand out like a sore thumb and look like a complete dork. Applies to blue collar jobs, too.. I tend to wear t-shirts until they're rags because it's just dusty dirty construction work.. buuuut, I shouldn't, because it's still a workplace and I can afford to dress better than looking like I sleep outdoors.

Lol, I didn't have any problems with showing up to work with a bright blue mohawk at the beginning of August.. then again, I don't work at a bank or lawyers office. We build them. I can wear my hair however I want - and I do! And people loved it. It's a great conversation starter, gets a lot of smiles and high fives and things. Also, I'm 6'2 & 190 some odd lbs of muscle (and a very nice guy, too) soooo no one's really going to say much about my hair if they don't approve of it.

Yes! Build skills. You can never go wrong with continuous learning.

Gossip is useless, but there could be value in keeping your ear out for it and making sure it's not about you or going to affect your job. Yeah, I tend to not try to reveal my AS traits at all as no good can possibly come of it. At least we agree on that.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:06 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
Do your job, work harder than 75% of everyone else, follow all the rules no matter how much of the rest of the workforce is breaking them.

DO NOT TRY TO PLAY THE SOCIAL GAME. You're not there to make friends. Keep your head down, and your mouth shut.

It would be a perfect approach from an autistic point of view but unfortunately it doesn't work this way.

In NT world you ARE there to make friends.

Employee without any friends at job place is the first one to go, even if they are a perfect worker. Simply because they are "not fun to work with".
We are not living in industrial times anymore - productivity and working "300% of the norm" isn't as important as the ability to make people like you(unless you are living in China).
Doing your job properly is needed - they might fire you if you slack off or break stuff - but staying all day on your desk and working, working, working while others keep talking, joking and having lunch together won't do you any good.

Indeed, in some companies there are rules you should tell on workers that don't do their job properly - but if you don't have any friends other people might lie about your work and watch you constantly to see if you make any mistakes, to tell on you - so they themselves look better in the heads eyes. If you have friends they won't tell lies about you and might help you with the mistakes instead of telling on you.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:26 am

I never suggested anyone should dress up conspicuously.

As for making friends. I'm there to work. Be nice to the people you work with but you don't have to take it outside the job. For autistics, trying too hard to make friends backfires. I know as I tried that technique at previous jobs with horrific results.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 10:27 am

As for gossip. Just sit quietly in the lounge and listen. You learn a lot and nobody knows you hear.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Dec 2017, 2:04 pm

Also you mentioned the hair thing, I know a lot of people with rather edgy haircuts who work corporate jobs. Most people are looking for experience and cool people these days, not someone who "looks professional."

Best advice there is to just look up some dress code requirements for the job you're applying for.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:51 pm

HistoryGal wrote:

As for making friends. I'm there to work. Be nice to the people you work with but you don't have to take it outside the job. For autistics, trying too hard to make friends backfires. I know as I tried that technique at previous jobs with horrific results.

You don't speak for all on the spectrum. You should have said that for yourself, making friends outside the job has backfired. Meanwhile in the social reality of the world, those who are friends with coworkers/superiors outside the job tend to enjoy the highest success levels on the job, regardless of output or productivity. No one cares if you get twice as much work done if you're a miserable SOB no one can stand to be around. No one cares that ___ doesn't break any productivity records because he's such a charismatic positive vibe person to be around everyone just loves him and would never ever want him to leave the company because then work would be so boring. In this day and age, if it was just about productivity and not about people, business owners would just use machines or software. It's also about people in the social connectivity sense and even those on the spectrum need to be a little social at work for their own self interest of keeping a job, more so if they want to advance to other roles.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:

You don't speak for all on the spectrum. You should have said that for yourself, making friends outside the job has backfired. Meanwhile in the social reality of the world, those who are friends with coworkers/superiors outside the job tend to enjoy the highest success levels on the job, regardless of output or productivity. No one cares if you get twice as much work done if you're a miserable SOB no one can stand to be around. No one cares that ___ doesn't break any productivity records because he's such a charismatic positive vibe person to be around everyone just loves him and would never ever want him to leave the company because then work would be so boring. In this day and age, if it was just about productivity and not about people, business owners would just use machines or software. It's also about people in the social connectivity sense and even those on the spectrum need to be a little social at work for their own self interest of keeping a job, more so if they want to advance to other roles.

This, this exactly.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 3:22 pm

They try to teach this at Roses for Autism. If you want their job training you have to eat lunch with everyone else. They won't let you eat alone. They also believe that people on the spectrum can do a lot of different jobs, even some that involve social interaction, with the proper training. So they try people out with different jobs until they figure out what you can do.