Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 2:43 pm

In other words....it ain't over yet :D

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

Brevity was never my strong suit, ha ha.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 7:59 pm

I don't believe you wrote too many words, actually.

There is use for decent quantities of text. Especially for Aspies who want "every side of everything."

I believe what you said means more than "it ain't over yet"---but I sense that people, sometimes, need something expressed "in a nutshell."

It's more of a confirmation of what you said----than any criticism of the length of what you wrote.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

Marknis wrote:
I am turning 30 in August of the coming year and I still don't have my life together at all. I am still working a part time job, I don't have a college degree of any sorts (I am a dropout if anything), I don't date despite wanting a girlfriend to the point it makes me depressed, I have a shrinking friendship network, I still live with my mother, and my father owns the car I drive. I feel like my 20's were wasted when they should've been my best years but no matter what I did, life did not go the way I wanted it to go.

People are enjoying their life much further down the track than they once did.
Lots of people in their 40's living it up.

Because of some circumstances I don't want to dig into outside of the Haven I'm practically starting over again in the exact same position as you are. Just don't think of it in terms of that, and the now, and plan for those glorious years in the 40's club! Make everything you do count towards that.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2017, 2:25 am

If it helps at all, I know a bunch of neurotypicals in their 30s who's in the same place as you.

I often wish that I had waited much longer before moving out. I was way too unprepared.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 11:00 am

I came down with something over the weekend and I am only now feeling better from it.

Empathy wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I am turning 30 in August of the coming year and I still don't have my life together at all. I am still working a part time job, I don't have a college degree of any sorts. I have a shrinking friendship network, I still live with my mother, and my father owns the car I drive. I feel like my 20's were wasted when they should've been my best years but no matter what I did, life did not go the way I wanted it to go.

Maybe try not to think so much about it, and do something that actually does turn your adult life around for the better.
At least there is some work for you where you live, and being anxious and complaining about it all the time, won't lend you a firm hand in the future. Sounds like its going to happen eventually, so stop putting it off? I'm going to be there before you anyway, and there are always obstacles around me, I either let it play it course, or get to grips with something else completely. Sometimes life feels as if you're taking a backwards step when everyone else around you is doing fine, but unless you've got something to worry about, I wouldn't create another side dilemma for yourself. Delve into nostalgia if you have to, but there's no remedy like the present. 8)

What's going to happen eventually?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 11:06 am

plainjain wrote:
Hello, Marknis. I'm sorry that you're still feeling so low, and I hope you're having a nice day!

I just was thinking about how bummed out you are about your girlfriend situation, and I wanted to try and get you to think more positive, even though I know that that rarely helps in cases of depression.

In this instance, though, I just wanted you to think about the facts, because maybe that will help?

There are about 325,000,000 people in the United States. About half of them are female, equaling about 162,500,000 female people. Lets say about half of them might fall within an age range that is suitable for you to consider a partnership with, leaving about 81,200,000 ladies. About 50% of those women may be married, leaving 40,600,000 women. If you have common interests with only 10% of those women (I think that's probably a low estimate, because you seem very nice and smart, which is the main criteria I've heard a lot of women are looking for in a man) there would still be 406,000 women for you to flirt with, in the hopes of forging a relationship of some kind.

And that's just the United States.

Please try to remember when you're feeling discouraged about relationships that there are more opportunities out there than it might seem, but it might take you a long time to go through so many options until you can find the right partner!

In the mean time, do everything else you can to work on improving your depression. Get sunshine and exercise, watch comedy, pursue your other goals, work on your sleep issues, etcetera! There are plenty of people in committed, long term relationships who are still very depressed, and I worry that you are too convinced that a relationship will be the best cure for your depression. A woman is not a treatment plan, even though the right woman will definitely be able to lift your spirits and raise your oxytocin levels with a hug and a smile . . . but so can petting a dog.

And a woman is more likely than a dog to have complex needs that she expects you to meet for her, as well. So if all you're thinking about is what you might receive out of a relationship, you might want to spend some time thinking about what you will be able to offer, and you'll have more stamina to give if your depression is already better under control.

If you remember me, then you know that I have pervasive depressive disorder, so I am familiar with your plight in trying to cope with chronic depression, and I understand how miserable it can make you. Do what you can, that's all you can do!

Hi, plainjain! I don't think I've seen your posts before, unfortunately. :(

I really hoped this year would be different in regards to finding a girlfriend. Both my siblings have or are about to get married while I couldn't even get a date this year. I feel like I am always going to get told "My boyfriend wouldn't like that.", "I have a husband.", or "I am too busy." because the few girls I've asked out have told me those things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 11:08 am

If you don't place an expectation on yourself---like "I MUST get a girlfriend!! !"----you'll probably do decently in your 30's.

For many people, things start to "make sense." In general, the 30's tend to be better for people than the 20's.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:32 pm

But how can I keep myself from feeling obsolete? I keep having these ideas that I am a malfunctioning machine that needs to be destroyed.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:38 pm

Is there any way that you can do volunteer work to help out the needy?

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2017, 1:40 pm

Hi, kraftiekortie. Don't worry, I didn't take your comment as a criticism. I think it's kind of funny, and impressive when someone can sum up what I said very briefly. I think I'm one of those people who like examine a lot of details, like you said. But I like how succinct you can be. Both styles have value to me!

Hello, Marknis! I'm glad you're on your way to recovering from feeling sick.

I posted in your other thread titled something like, 'is it normal to be depressed for 30 years?' That's how I know you!

I can see why you're feeling down if the whole year is almost over, and you didn't meet a goal. But you can't control other people, and you've only asked a few girls, so go easy on yourself . . . and think about making a new goal. Maybe something like, "this year I asked out five ladies (three of whom were already in relationships), next year I'll try for ten" or, "this year I tried asking people out in person, next year I'll join one of those dating sites too, to see if I get better results from ladies who I already know are looking for love".

I also get very discouraged when I've tried social interaction, and I'm rejected. Did you know that there's new understanding about how rejection affects the brain and emotions?

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/rejection.aspx

So, what you're feeling is really completely normal, and might be related to survival, in terms of evolution, which is why it is such a strong feeling. (I know that knowing that doesn't make it hurt less!)

I understand how seeing your siblings get married could make you feel like you're doing something wrong. But on the other hand, you are most closely genetically similar to siblings than anyone else in the world. So maybe you could take heart, find inspiration in that, and say to yourself that if people didn't find your siblings too "gross" to marry, then you probably aren't too "gross" to marry, either.

I don't know you, but I kind of doubt that you're gross! I think that's your sadness talking. Hang in there with the relationships, and try to work on what you can in the meantime. I know that depression makes it hard to motivate. And it can make it hard to look on the bright side. Lately I'm trying to mention in some way if something positive happens around me, instead of always dwelling on the negative. Like, we got good service at a restaurant recently, and I always complain about restaurant service. So this time, I made the effort to write to the restaurant, and tell the manager how good the service was.

I don't think it changed my life, ha ha. But maybe looking for the little positives will help to remind me that it's not all bad. Maybe something like that would help ease your depression - starting a journal of positive experiences, or something. You could even mention little things, like "it was sunny today, and I like the sunshine".

That's just an idea, because I know how chronic depression can make everything in the world seem unhappy.

As an example, one day I sort of described this whole negative conversation I had with someone to someone else, and how upsetting it was to me. After talking about it for an hour or so, I realized, and had to mention, that on the same day (or maybe the day before, I forget) I had a positive conversation with someone, and I didn't go on about that for an hour. So I tend to focus on the negative, and I know that, and have to work on it. And that's not at all easy when you're depressed! It feels entirely unnatural to do that, and it's work. But it might help, so I'm trying it.

I don't know if that sounds dumb, but maybe it's an idea you'd try.

Anyway, feel better soon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:50 pm

I believe you should continue to pursue your special interests.

I believe you're a college graduate---maybe go for a Master's in something? Or at least take some sort of course?

And I would make my way to Austin, somehow. Austin is NOT the Vile Belt!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 2:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe you should continue to pursue your special interests.

I believe you're a college graduate---maybe go for a Master's in something? Or at least take some sort of course?

And I would make my way to Austin, somehow. Austin is NOT the Vile Belt!

I didn't graduate from college. I am a college drop out. :(

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 2:17 pm

plainjain wrote:
Hi, kraftiekortie. Don't worry, I didn't take your comment as a criticism. I think it's kind of funny, and impressive when someone can sum up what I said very briefly. I think I'm one of those people who like examine a lot of details, like you said. But I like how succinct you can be. Both styles have value to me!

Hello, Marknis! I'm glad you're on your way to recovering from feeling sick.

I posted in your other thread titled something like, 'is it normal to be depressed for 30 years?' That's how I know you!

I can see why you're feeling down if the whole year is almost over, and you didn't meet a goal. But you can't control other people, and you've only asked a few girls, so go easy on yourself . . . and think about making a new goal. Maybe something like, "this year I asked out five ladies (three of whom were already in relationships), next year I'll try for ten" or, "this year I tried asking people out in person, next year I'll join one of those dating sites too, to see if I get better results from ladies who I already know are looking for love".

I also get very discouraged when I've tried social interaction, and I'm rejected. Did you know that there's new understanding about how rejection affects the brain and emotions?

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/rejection.aspx

So, what you're feeling is really completely normal, and might be related to survival, in terms of evolution, which is why it is such a strong feeling. (I know that knowing that doesn't make it hurt less!)

I understand how seeing your siblings get married could make you feel like you're doing something wrong. But on the other hand, you are most closely genetically similar to siblings than anyone else in the world. So maybe you could take heart, find inspiration in that, and say to yourself that if people didn't find your siblings too "gross" to marry, then you probably aren't too "gross" to marry, either.

I don't know you, but I kind of doubt that you're gross! I think that's your sadness talking. Hang in there with the relationships, and try to work on what you can in the meantime. I know that depression makes it hard to motivate. And it can make it hard to look on the bright side. Lately I'm trying to mention in some way if something positive happens around me, instead of always dwelling on the negative. Like, we got good service at a restaurant recently, and I always complain about restaurant service. So this time, I made the effort to write to the restaurant, and tell the manager how good the service was.

I don't think it changed my life, ha ha. But maybe looking for the little positives will help to remind me that it's not all bad. Maybe something like that would help ease your depression - starting a journal of positive experiences, or something. You could even mention little things, like "it was sunny today, and I like the sunshine".

That's just an idea, because I know how chronic depression can make everything in the world seem unhappy.

As an example, one day I sort of described this whole negative conversation I had with someone to someone else, and how upsetting it was to me. After talking about it for an hour or so, I realized, and had to mention, that on the same day (or maybe the day before, I forget) I had a positive conversation with someone, and I didn't go on about that for an hour. So I tend to focus on the negative, and I know that, and have to work on it. And that's not at all easy when you're depressed! It feels entirely unnatural to do that, and it's work. But it might help, so I'm trying it.

I don't know if that sounds dumb, but maybe it's an idea you'd try.

Anyway, feel better soon.

Oh, I forgot about that thread. I worry that I am losing my memories because I'll get reminded by others things I have no memory of doing.

I tried dating sites and they were just exercises in frustration and false hope. I have sworn them off completely.

I'll read the article later. I am short on time at the moment.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 10:18 am

Marknis wrote:
I really hoped this year would be different in regards to finding a girlfriend. Both my siblings have or are about to get married while I couldn't even get a date this year. I feel like I am always going to get told "My boyfriend wouldn't like that.", "I have a husband.", or "I am too busy." because the few girls I've asked out have told me those things.

I just realized this, but the fact that you asked out a taken woman, not to mention a married one must mean that you barely knew them, right? From now on, try to get to know and be friends with those women before you ask them out so you won't be asking women who are already in a relationship (unless you want to hit on those who already have someone, but I highly doubt that's the case.) Might work, or it might not, but at least this should rule out the "I have a husband" reply from the answers they could give to you.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 1:38 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I just realized this, but the fact that you asked out a taken woman, not to mention a married one must mean that you barely knew them, right? From now on, try to get to know and be friends with those women before you ask them out so you won't be asking women who are already in a relationship (unless you want to hit on those who already have someone, but I highly doubt that's the case.) Might work, or it might not, but at least this should rule out the "I have a husband" reply from the answers they could give to you.

I have gotten conflicting views on asking women out. Some say you have to do it right away or she'll "friendzone" you and will have no romantic interest while others say you have to be friends first or you will scare her away. It's very confusing and further stacks the deck against me.

I honestly don't even know how to make friends with women. Most of the women around me don't share any common interests with me and the few that do for some reason I can't make a connection with no matter what I do or they already have a boyfriend or husband and they generally don't want to hangout because of that. I had an ex-friend who ruled out us ever hanging out again due to having a new boyfriend even though that relationship didn't last long.