Is suspension really a punishment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 8:13 am

I mean for very young children? Like kindergarten through 6th grade? In high school, I can see how suspension might be a punishment but for a grade schooler? After I had been suspended the first time and got to stay home from school, I CONSTANTLY was trying to get in trouble in order to get suspended again. My parents never let me watch TV or anything like that on the day I was suspended, but it didn't matter I was happy to be home, away from bullies.

I think the school did catch on because I did once receive an in-school suspension and that wasn't as bad as they made it out to be either. I was just in a supply classroom for most of the day, doing my usual schoolwork and a supply teacher would come in now and then to check on me. Again, I was by myself and away from the bullies so I actually kind of enjoyed it. So

Anyway, is suspension actually a punishment FOR the student who doesn't want to be there in the first place?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 8:27 am

...or is it a punishment for the parents of the suspended child, who now have to take time off work or pay for childcare?

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2017, 8:37 am

Perhaps they are punishing the parents which sends a message control your kid, raise them with some decency.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2017, 5:01 pm

I always questioned how effective suspension was.
At my school, the kids who got suspended frequently often spent their days off school messing around in the park or loitering around town up to no good. Didn't really seem to teach them any sort of message.

I myself would prefer to see schools give them some kind of community service.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 5:36 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Is suspension really a punishment?

yeah, there's a lot of things i'd rather do than daily a car on stiff coilovers. :)

anyway

i was only suspended once, in the 4th grade for vandalism and i DID feel, like i was punished and i did something wrong.
my mom said it was a punishment for her, since she had to spend more time at home with me.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Dec 2017, 5:48 am

I think it's mostly to give the school a break from having to deal with the kid while sending a message to the parents.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 7:14 pm

Most kids I know don't think of suspension as a punishment. They see it as an opportunity to stay home from school. I agree on suspension being a punishment for the parents. The parent has to miss work or find childcare for the kid and it motivates the parent to straighten up their brat of a kid. Teachers do like breaks from kids that constantly disrupt the class.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Dec 2017, 10:29 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think it's mostly to give the school a break from having to deal with the kid while sending a message to the parents.
I forgot to mention that my mom's a retired teacher. She 1st taught 7th or 8th grade for 2nd half of a year & then she taught either kindergarten or 1st grade(she might of taught the other one after) & then she taught preK till she retired. I'm sure we've talked about this topic before but I don't remember the exact conversation.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition