Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

What if Congress were to suddenly convert to Amish Anabaptist Mennonites? To make things interesting, what if the whole of our government were to do so?

No idea why I felt the urge to post this or why it came across my mind; but, in my mind, I was thinking, "What would it be like if we had an Amish president?" :?

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:12 pm

Well...

on the upside this hypothetical Amish theocracy would lead America back into the horse and buggy era. No cars.

Just horses and buggies, and steam locomotives. Air travel would be via helium dirigibles (not hydrogen like the Hindenburg, just non flammable helium like the goodyear blimps). So our energy consumption would be based upon coal and hay (and other biomass). These zeps could be solar powered (they can build heavier than air airplanes powered by solar panels, so I don't see why they couldnt stick a few solar panels on a zep to run its engines and still have a payload).

And you wouldn't need so much airport security. Any terrorist who would attempt to duplicate 9-11 with a hijacked zeppelin, or airship, would be disappointed. The hijacked craft would just bounce off the target skyscrape like a nerf ball. So there would be no reason to do the hijacking.

So we wouldn't need oil so much. So we wouldn't have to take sides in the regional cold war between the Saudies and the Iranians. We could tell both of them to stuff it, and go ahead and kick each other in the arse without our help.

Sounds good so far!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

on the upside this hypothetical Amish theocracy would lead America back into the horse and buggy era. No cars.

Just horses and buggies, and steam locomotives. Air travel would be via helium dirigibles (not hydrogen like the Hindenburg, just non flammable helium like the goodyear blimps). So our energy consumption would be based upon coal and hay (and other biomass). These zeps could be solar powered (they can build heavier than air airplanes powered by solar panels, so I don't see why they couldnt stick a few solar panels on a zep to run its engines and still have a payload).

And you wouldn't need so much airport security. Any terrorist who would attempt to duplicate 9-11 with a hijacked zeppelin, or airship, would be disappointed. The hijacked craft would just bounce off the target skyscrape like a nerf ball. So there would be no reason to do the hijacking.

So we wouldn't need oil so much. So we wouldn't have to take sides in the regional cold war between the Saudies and the Iranians. We could tell both of them to stuff it, and go ahead and kick each other in the arse without our help.

Sounds good so far!

They don’t use any advanced technology ie steam engines or flying things. Didn’t have those in the 1700s

Wouldn’t last long anyways within a few months we’d be occupied by Russians or Chinese and we couldn’t fight back as that’s be sinful.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 2:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Sounds good so far!

The Mennonites around here drive cars.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 2:49 pm

sly279 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Sounds good so far!

They don’t use any advanced technology ie steam engines or flying things. Didn’t have those in the 1700s

Wouldn’t last long anyways within a few months we’d be occupied by Russians or Chinese and we couldn’t fight back as that’s be sinful.

Do rollerblades count as advanced technology? They certainly didn't have rollerblades in the 1700s.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 4:14 pm

kokopelli wrote:
sly279 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Sounds good so far!

Do rollerblades count as advanced technology? They certainly didn't have rollerblades in the 1700s.

Are you sure they’re Amish? There’s other sects thst use smart phones, guns, and other modern stuff, they go to markets and sell goods too. Amish don’t use anything past a certain date in the 1700 or 1800s they want to live smile lives. They existed in the age of the steam engine too Amish are recent thing.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 4:22 pm

sly279 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
sly279 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Sounds good so far!

Are you sure they’re Amish? There’s other sects thst use smart phones, guns, and other modern stuff, they go to markets and sell goods too. Amish don’t use anything past a certain date in the 1700 or 1800s they want to live smile lives. They existed in the age of the steam engine too Amish are recent thing.

Rollerblades are quite popular among the Amish.

Contrary to popular opinion, the rules on what Amish may and may not use are not based on whether they were in use in a particular year. The decisions are made by the leaders of each Amish community. The rules are based on how it is thought that technology affects or will affect the community.

As I understand it, many Amish communities have been early adapters of certain technologies such as cars and telephones but then banned their use when it was seen that those particular technologies tended to result in a less cohesive Amish community.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 11:31 pm

kokopelli wrote:
sly279 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...

Sounds good so far!

Yes they did. Inline skates were invented in 1760 by John Joseph Merlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Joseph_Merlin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm

They had balloons and steam engines in the 1700s.

Balloons were a craze in the 1780s.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2017, 4:26 am

I know there's Amish in Lancaster County (community) that use very basic Amish computers, in which it has word processing, because some work regular office jobs in a regular city that have the demand. Or, that's what I heard at least, from a documentary and a couple of articles.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:38 am

If an Amish/Mennonite became President or got elected to congress, my only concern would be if he or she could do the job and not about religion.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2017, 2:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
If an Amish/Mennonite became President or got elected to congress, my only concern would be if he or she could do the job and not about religion.

I imagine them holding congregations in the White House, since it's tradition for them to hold services in the house... unless the Amish POTUS is not a minister.

I can see two things happening: leaves everyone alone, or tries to establish a theocracy. Personally, I see the former happening most likely if an Amish person were to become POTUS.

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 2:53 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I imagine them holding congregations in the White House, since it's tradition for them to hold services in the house... unless the Amish POTUS is not a minister.

I can see two things happening: leaves everyone alone, or tries to establish a theocracy. Personally, I see the former happening most likely if an Amish person were to become POTUS.

I think most Americans, regardless of religion, reject the notion of theocracy - - I hope.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:23 am

And since we are on the inane subject of Congress doing unlikely things like converting en masse to the Amish religion:

What if Congress were to convert to Aztec Sun Worship?

Would we be forced to build a big pyramid in the middle of DC, as the stage for our human sacrifices?

Cut out a dude's heart and offer it up to the sun god...on national TV? Just before the state of the Union Address each year?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And since we are on the inane subject of Congress doing unlikely things like converting en masse to the Amish religion:

What if Congress were to convert to Aztec Sun Worship?

Would we be forced to build a big pyramid in the middle of DC, as the stage for our human sacrifices?

Cut out a dude's heart and offer it up to the sun god...on national TV? Just before the state of the Union Address each year?

:lol: