Childish interests is an Aspie thing? Feeling embarrassed?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 7:31 am

AntisocialButterfly wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
The one that everyone laughs at me for is The Sims. Not any sims, The Sims 3 specifically. I know... the amount I know and love that game is embarrassing. Everytime someone asks me about it I suddenly go off on one, and I am sitting there the whole time like 'AHHH they probs don't care, stop talking' but I am super excited so off I go. LOL.

I love the Sims too, although nobody laughs at me though.
But it's the Sims 2 that I love most, because I have all the expansion packs. Only thing that stops me from being able to play my favourite game is sh***y Windows 10 because it won't let me play it properly. The game ran smoothly before I updated my laptop to Windows 10. I can build things, but it terminates when I create a family. :cry: I really badly want to create a Sims version of The Inbetweeners, that would be really fun, but Windows 10 has to be crappy. :cry:

I have all the expansion packs for Sims 3 :3 its so fun! That's so annoying that its crashing when you get to playing with your families? Windows 10 should have a way to let you emulate XP so you can run sims 2 like you used to? https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to ... indows-10/ <--- This may help you, allowing you too run it using Windows XP Service Pack 3 in compatibility mode! :) Good luck! I would be throwing a fit if it was doing that for me!! !

About a year ago I bought a secondhand Windows 7 laptop from a cash-converter store to see if I can still play the Sims 2 on that, took me ages to install all the expansion packs but when everything was finally and successfully installed, I ran the game. But it was doing the EXACT THING it done on my Windows 10 laptop; terminate on create a family mode - even though it used to work fine when my own laptop was Windows 7. So I had to take it back, although the stupid policy was only half a refund, so I wasted my time and money buying the Windows 7 laptop.

I have tried changing the compatibility mode, but I wasn't sure if I had to change it on every expansion pack too, and trying every single compatibility mode for every expansion pack then testing the game each time is too repetitive and time-consuming.

I have saved the link you posted in bookmarks so I can have a proper look when I go on my laptop later today. I do miss playing my Sims game. :cry: I spend a lot of time building houses (the game allows me to do that), but I'd love to put Sims in them again.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 11:42 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
To everybody: My Aspie soon to be wife had the same feelings about her toys... and then I showed her *MY* collection. Vintage robots from the 50s and 60s. Superhero toys from the 70s to the present. Transformers from the 80s when TF was great. A massive Dr Who montage. Kenner Star Wars toys from the original three films. Of course they are now all hers too.

It's wonderful that you two share this toy interest commonality as Aspies! I have to say I'm somewhat jealous that you still have the Transformers from the 80s as I really miss my collection. Alas, mine are all lost now. :cry:

Comic con and dedicated Transformers conventions are both places where you can find them.

Cool, more Gen 1 TF collectors! Sorry for your collection loss Xatrix26. I was lucky in that my parents did not throw away or sell my stuff when I went away to college. That issue happened to many of the kids that I collected with growing up. My collection numbers about a hundred Gen 1s now (one kid I grew up with had 10 times that in the 1980s). I do have some of the rare promo ones that you had to send away for like Reflector and I have two Gen 1 Optimus Primes with the Pepsi labels on the side. I never got my hands on an original Megatron, but did get a Galvatron for my stash.

You do not want to know what I did to my Star Wars/GI Joe stuff. They did not survive my youth.

Your Star Wars and GI Joes...did they face live ordinance in the form of fireworks? :evil: :twisted: :skull:

Yep, they did. Most were melted or blown apart over the years. It was fun to do back then.

Naughty. My childhood SW figures were all Xmas, Easter, and BDay gifts and or bought with Xmas or Bday money so I would never destroy them. I still have most of them. I had very few GI Joes and most broke when that rubberband broke. But I did have a bucket of cheepo plastic army men, and one fourth of July my brother and I staged a battle with them and a bunch of fire crackers, cherry bombs, and those tanks that shoot hot sparks. Ah the smell of melted plastic that day... :twisted:

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:04 am

My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
My cousins also participated in the destruction. They had bigger pockets, so we usually used their GI Joes/Star Wars figures to do this. At the time, we never considered that they would become collectible. However, I always knew that the Transformers toys were special. So, they never suffered the same fate.

I remember a large number of G.I.Joes,Transformers,and Masters of the Universe figures though, I eventually gave them away to my step-brother at the time not know they would derive some significant value decades later but, always enjoyed passing hours away having imaginary battles.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:

Star Wars figures I owned as a child:

1. Fighter Pilot Luke
2. Jedi Knight Luke
3. Darth Vader
4. R2D2
5. C3PO
6. Chewie
7. Lando in his bounty hunter disguise
8. Lando in his Cloud City costume
9. A Gamoorean Guard
10. Obi Wan Kenobi
11. A Stormtrooper
12. The Ewok Medicine Man

jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2017, 7:04 pm

My special interest is writing at the moment, which to some extent includes reading. Next year, I'm going to study English and Publishing. I just hope my interest doesn't waver in that time, so that I can continue to study into the years that follow.
Other interests which I fall into and out of regularly (including writing) are: chess, video games, reading, english, technology such as devices which I like to sit somewhere rendered useless, languages- Russian, Arabic, and others I take less seriously, psychology, various self help and reference type books regarding things I'd like to know more about. Being inbetween interests is a painful experience for me.
I don't handle boredom very well at all, and find it causes me a great deal of stress. Sometimes I retreat into my bedroom and lay down to try to relax with some quiet. Other times I find solace in looking through my old toys. It reminds me of my childhood and how I would relate to my teddy bears, or ninja turtle action figures, even the cars while they were doing a "smash 'em up."

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2023, 3:10 pm

I enjoy watching Arthur when I get home from bar hopping and am waiting for my ambien to kick in

Phoenix87x
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2023, 6:07 pm

I'm 35, but i've always looked at the world with childlike wonder.

To this day I love to stare at things or get excited about things in a childlike way such as bouncing up and down on a chair or putting both hands in the air.

I like to do cartwheels and climb trees as well. And whenever I go to breakfast I get chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream.

And now that I've been diagnosed, I will never feel guilty about any of it ever again.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2023, 6:39 pm

Most things associated with childishness are objectively fun and pleasant (toys, plushies, cartoons, comics, bright colours, candy, enthusiasm, playfulness, curiosity). I think that not having an appreciation for any of these things as an adult is strange. Fun things are fun

Sometimes I suspect that neurotypicals like these things to the same extent as people on the spectrum, the just suppress it because they're constantly operating by arbitrary social rules.

I used to feel embarrassed about being too "childish" but it rarely bothers me anymore