Autistic attacked, robbed while trying to make friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 12:58 am

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/man-with-autism-attacked-robbed-while-trying-to-make-friends

Quote:
Hillsborough County Deputies arrested a 25-year-old man and his 16-year-old accomplice for robbing and beating a 22-year-old man with autism.

Deputies say Terrell Newton and the unnamed 16-year-old grabbed the man by his neck when they stole his cell phone and shoes.

The 22-year-old said he was playing basketball and trying to make friends when he was accused of stealing a phone from one of the attackers. He says he never touched someone else’s phone and tried to explain to them that he has a disability.

“(I told them) ‘Listen, I have a disability. I’m not like you. I don’t act like a normal 22-year-old kid. In my head, I’m like 15, but I don’t know how to interact in other situations like that,’” he explained.

Shortly after that exchange he was attacked and robbed. The victim says he chased after the attackers and was beaten a second time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:01 pm

I imagine the poor guy will be too spooked to make friends from now on. And who can blame him?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

May both the assailants be stricken with a large, inoperable tumor.

Oscar Meyer Lansky