Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Trojanofpeace wrote:
I would view the book like this. If you don't like the humour of Frankie Boyle (UK comedian) then you will not like this book.

If you are prone to taking things at face value and literally, you will not like this book.

If you can only view everything through the lens of your own paradigm, you will not like this book.

As for me, I can't wait to read it! Doesn't mean i agree with it.

The reviews I have read who hate the whole idea of the book and what is in it say her writing style is engaging and funny.

So as long as the writing style is engaging and funny that makes it all ok... :roll:

I myself don't see much humour in making someones reproductive choices for them. Just as I adamantly oppose banning abortion and forcing people to have unwanted babies, I also adamantly oppose forcing someone to get 'fixed'.

It makes her more dangerous.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 11:38 am

Just another case of treating someone with a disability like a child and not letting them make their own decisions like an adult ...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 11:45 am

green0star wrote:
Just another case of treating someone with a disability like a child and not letting them make their own decisions like an adult ...

The mother sounds an utter horror if she is acting under her own volition. It's absolutely no surprise to me though. Self-determination, respect and coexistence for people that presently have disabilities seems to be utterly anathema to the powers that be.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 10:17 pm

I read a Reader's Digest condensed article by this woman. In one section, she lamented all the things an autistic person would never have: gainful employment, first love, and the like. Very often, this attitude turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy. She never set down rules about what was appropriate and what wasn't and pretty much let her son do what he wanted, such as letting him believe he was performing a valuable service when he was really getting in the way of people doing their work. This is the kind of so-called "acceptance" that leads to low expectations and ruin. Everything about this woman seems wrong to me. The article made me ill. I can only imagine what reading her book would do to me. I don't think I could get through more than one chapter without throwing up.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 12:39 am

I'm sure a lot of parents will do that to their autistic sons from now on, in addition to never letting them date, let alone have sex, and doing everything in their power to prevent them from having a chance at either for as long as possible, preferably for their whole lives :D

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 7:52 am

Spiderpig wrote:
I'm sure a lot of parents will do that to their autistic sons from now on, in addition to never letting them date, let alone have sex, and doing everything in their power to prevent them from having a chance at either for as long as possible, preferably for their whole lives :D

And here I only thought parents did that to autistic women ...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:03 pm

I thought they did the part you bolded to everyone, and that it was completely normal and expected, but then saw more and more undeniable evidence that most people somehow manage to date and have sex anyway, and that this is also completely normal and expected. So what has always looked impossible to me is expected of a normal person. Normal people might as well be gods to me.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 12:13 am

To get rid of Newman's son's ability to have children by forced sterilization is nothing more than a call for eugenics.

Newman is very much an "autism mom". She assumes that every autistic person has the same deficits and is inherently inferior to allistic people. "Autism moms" have a tendency to expose their autistic children in their most vulnerable moments, obviously without their permission. Newman does this. They also attack the use of identity-first language, which Newman does. "Autism moms" like to assume that no living autistic person is capable of having a significant other, go to university, or hold a job, which Newman does. See a pattern??

It's sad how so much more attention goes to these ableist "autism moms" than actual autistic people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 1:12 am

Honestly as much as some of the language to describe this book makes it sound absolutely horrible. I think I might have to actually read the book to determine how bad it really is. I mean maybe she has a good reason to want this...i'd have to read the damn book. I mean on the surface forcing someone to get that operation seems barbaric...but maybe there are more reasons for it that people are assuming. I mean for instance if she feels he can't function in a way he'd be able to care for children I can kind of understand but at the same time not sure she should be the one to make the choice. I also don't know what if any input her son has about this or if in addition to being autistic he has any more severe intellectual disabilities or anything that his mom is concerned could be exploited if he's not looked after. that said I also don't know how severe her sons autism is, or what doctors have concluded about him. So I have to take a step back and not instantly jude the mother as a horrible ableist.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 3:39 am

hobojungle wrote:
As far as forced sterilization of the intellectually disabled go: I’m not for it.

That's what I was pointing out. Intellectually disabled kids who are sterilised may not give consent when they realise it means they can't have kids.

The law appears to protect parents or guardians or institutions who are allowed to make this choice for these people