Anyone else here obsessed with Cuphead?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2017, 1:22 am

I could gush about Cuphead for hours!! I heard about the game in 2015 and it's just as amazing as I anticipated! The animation is beautiful, I love the old early 20th century rubber-hose style. The gameplay is tons of fun, even though I really suck at it. The music is fantastic, I can't stop thinking about Cuphead :)

If you like the game, please comment why! Tell me who your favorite bosses are and what your favorite song from the game is! My favorite bosses are definitely Grim Matchstick and Djimmi the Great, the best track (objectively :P) is Floral Fury.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:51 am

I heard the game is insanely hard, which has made me reluctant to ever play it. And that's sad since I love how it looks just like a 1930's Disney or Max Fleischer cartoon, and I've had a soft spot for such animation ever since I was a kid.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I heard the game is insanely hard, which has made me reluctant to ever play it. And that's sad since I love how it looks just like a 1930's Disney or Max Fleischer cartoon, and I've had a soft spot for such animation ever since I was a kid.

It's not THAT hard.

One thing to keep in mind when difficulty is brought up: Things are usually only considered super difficult IN COMPARISON to mainstream games that are usually super easy. Alot of players get absolutely used to games being easy as heck, and that is the norm to them. Give them anything even remotely resembling a challenge... even if it's not much of one, and then "OMG ITS THE NEXT DARK SOULS". I should mention that Dark Souls itself also isnt all that hard. Welcome to modern AAA gaming. I mean, THIS isnt a AAA game, but the perception of difficulty is an effect caused by AAA games.

Cuphead has a difficulty level somewhat similar to games like the old Megaman series. Which also wasnt all that difficult. Like Megaman, it's almost purely about learning enemy attack patterns and then dodging them, which just takes a bit of practice.

In addition, it's entirely boss fights (aside from exactly six full "levels" that are typically fairly simple and short). Each boss doesnt take all that long and if you want to restart them, there's no loading time to do so. As opposed to a game that's full of really long levels.

Dont get me wrong, some bosses can be pretty darned obnoxious... like those damn frogs or that dragon... but usually this mostly applies if you're trying to get a perfect rank on them. When it comes to just defeating them, they're not too bad.

There is also a variety of different weapons and powers to equip, so you can find a setup that works best for any given boss with a bit of experimentation.

Dont let difficulty (or in this case, overblown perception of difficulty) deter you with something like this. You wont know how you will do until you try it. Chances are, you'll do fine.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

Cuphead is magnificent. A true work of art. It's basically immortal in terms of it will never look dated as gaming technology moves on.

Unfortunately for me, it's not my genre. I would not enjoy playing it. But I watched three let's plays of it on Youtube from start to finish. I saw someone comment that let's plays are for people who can't measure up to the challenge of playing it. Well I guess that was true for me, I got everything I wanted from it out of watching those let's plays.

However, if you do enjoy this genre, I'd definitely strongly recommend it. Even if it's out of your weight class so to speak, it will make you better at the genre.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

Misery wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It's not THAT hard.

One thing to keep in mind when difficulty is brought up: Things are usually only considered super difficult IN COMPARISON to mainstream games that are usually super easy. Alot of players get absolutely used to games being easy as heck, and that is the norm to them. Give them anything even remotely resembling a challenge... even if it's not much of one, and then "OMG ITS THE NEXT DARK SOULS". I should mention that Dark Souls itself also isnt all that hard. Welcome to modern AAA gaming. I mean, THIS isnt a AAA game, but the perception of difficulty is an effect caused by AAA games.

Cuphead has a difficulty level somewhat similar to games like the old Megaman series. Which also wasnt all that difficult. Like Megaman, it's almost purely about learning enemy attack patterns and then dodging them, which just takes a bit of practice.

In addition, it's entirely boss fights (aside from exactly six full "levels" that are typically fairly simple and short). Each boss doesnt take all that long and if you want to restart them, there's no loading time to do so. As opposed to a game that's full of really long levels.

Dont get me wrong, some bosses can be pretty darned obnoxious... like those damn frogs or that dragon... but usually this mostly applies if you're trying to get a perfect rank on them. When it comes to just defeating them, they're not too bad.

There is also a variety of different weapons and powers to equip, so you can find a setup that works best for any given boss with a bit of experimentation.

Dont let difficulty (or in this case, overblown perception of difficulty) deter you with something like this. You wont know how you will do until you try it. Chances are, you'll do fine.

Yeah, it really isn't that hard as I played through it. It was actually pretty easy in regards to all that you have mentioned above.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 4:40 am

I played the first half hour but refunded it. It runs poorly with regular framerate stutters and on this sort of game that's an absolute dealbreaker. From what I played of it the gameplay itself was decent. It's no Gunstar Heroes but it's very stylish and attractive.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 4:43 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I played the first half hour but refunded it. It runs poorly with regular framerate stutters and on this sort of game that's an absolute dealbreaker. From what I played of it the gameplay itself was decent. It's no Gunstar Heroes but it's very stylish and attractive.

I personally never had a problem with framerate... -shrugs- UNLESS....do you mean that small pause when you land a particular attack?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 5:25 am

No I mean stuttering. Fairly noticeable everywhere but most obvious in the side scrolling stages where a sudden frame drop will halt the camera panning.

Last edited by Enigmatic_Oddity on 09 Dec 2017, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 5:26 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
No I mean stuttering. Fairly noticeable everywhere but most noticeable in the side scrolling stages where a sudden frame drop will halt the camera panning.

Hmmm ok.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 8:42 am

I'm real interested in it, but I have such a huge backlog already, I'll probably pick it up during a sale some day.

nerdynoob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2017, 5:04 pm

I don't have the means to play Cuphead but I am highly considering changing that in the future. The art is cool, the music is the type I love, and two of my favorite games of all time are Bloodborne and Mega Man 2 and I was told that it was basically a mash up of the two.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 5:14 pm

nerdynoob wrote:
I don't have the means to play Cuphead but I am highly considering changing that in the future. The art is cool, the music is the type I love, and two of my favorite games of all time are Bloodborne and Mega Man 2 and I was told that it was basically a mash up of the two.

Have you ever played Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight? Seems like it would be up your alley if you like those two games.

nerdynoob

15 Dec 2017, 9:57 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Have you ever played Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight? Seems like it would be up your alley if you like those two games.

I have not but I will give it a look.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

nerdynoob wrote:

I'd just like to say one thing: Ignore most comparisons to Dark Souls, or Bloodborne. Just... seriously, ignore it. It doesnt matter what games are being compared to them: The comparison probably doesnt work. It's just the popular thing to say right now and the comparison is rarely actually thought-out at all. I really wish people would stop comparing things like that without thinking first.

I can sorta see this being compared to Megaman, or Contra, but Bloodborne? Not even remotely close. It really is more Contra than anything else. Except with a very heavy focus on boss fights.

The ONE platformer I can think of that might have some actual gameplay similarities to Bloodborne or Dark Souls is Dead Cells (on Steam). That's seriously the only one. And I believe in that case, the devs actually stated those games being one of their prime inspirations (as gameplay goes).

That being said, if you like platformers of this sort, there are all sorts out there right now that are very good. They Bleed Pixels is another great one if you love a high level of challenge.

And then there's 20XX. If you like Megaman, get that. It's the game Mighty No. 9 wishes it could be. I've played 20XX to death myself. I must be at, what, 100 hours with it now?

gscwubwubwub
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2017, 8:38 am

Cuphead is such a special game. I don't remember the last time I bought a game on release day and felt so good about it.

Anyone else watch that GDC talk? You can really see where the quality came from when he talks about their work over the past few years. That's the passion games need to have again. Those people are heroes of the industry.

I'm terrible at favorites especially with game levels but Ruse of an Ooze, Floral Fury, and Sugerland Shimmy are all the kinds of songs that make me ignore the rest of the world while they're playing.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

gscwubwubwub wrote:
That's the passion games need to have again. Those people are heroes of the industry.

I'd advise looking into indie games more, really (of which this is one). That level of passion is... actually really common. Its part of why indie devs even do their work in the first place. Wheras AAA games often stifle the hell out of any "passion" due to being almost purely controlled by uncaring corporate entities now. Indie devs, on the other hand, have zero restrictions.

Hell, to be honest, there are plenty of games out there that outdo this one in all sorts of ways.... they just dont have the popularity. That's the problem with indies: Unlike AAA games, they dont come to you... you have to go find them. Cuphead is one of the very, very rare exceptions, and even that is purely due to JUST the visual style. Without that, it would have probably not done so well.