Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 6:36 pm

Autism is one of the examined conditions:

Bad News for the Highly Intelligent
Superior IQs associated with mental and physical disorders, research suggests

. . . . The survey of Mensa’s highly intelligent members found that they were more likely to suffer from a range of serious disorders.

The survey covered mood disorders (depression, dysthymia, and bipolar), anxiety disorders (generalized, social, and obsessive-compulsive), attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, and autism. It also covered environmental allergies, asthma, and autoimmune disorders. Respondents were asked to report whether they had ever been formally diagnosed with each disorder, or suspected they suffered from it. With a return rate of nearly 75%, Karpinski and colleagues compared the percentage of the 3,715 respondents who reported each disorder to the national average.

The biggest differences between the Mensa group and the general population were seen for mood disorders and anxiety disorders. More than a quarter (26.7%) of the sample reported that they had been formally diagnosed with a mood disorder, while 20% reported an anxiety disorder—far higher than the national averages of around 10% for each. The differences were smaller, but still statistically significant and practically meaningful, for most of the other disorders. The prevalence of environmental allergies was triple the national average (33% vs. 11%).

To explain their findings, Karpinski and colleagues propose the hyper brain/hyper body theory. This theory holds that, for all of its advantages, being highly intelligent is associated with psychological and physiological “overexcitabilities”, or OEs. A concept introduced by the Polish psychiatrist and psychologist Kazimierz Dbrowski in the 1960s, an OE is an unusually intense reaction to an environmental threat or insult. This can include anything from a startling sound to confrontation with another person.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... telligent/

There Are Four Lights!

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2017, 4:06 pm

I thought this was common knowledge. One of the things I hear most often about aspies are that they may be socially awkward and very introverted but they have amazingly high iqs.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

The topic of OEs or as some translate the Polish term~~~Super-stimulate-abilities~~~is fascinating!

Linda Silverman is a pre-eminent scholar on Giftedness and an advocate of the late Kazimierz Dąbrowski's theories...should anyone want to know more.

He was good buddies with Maslow, btw.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:33 pm

I must be an exception to the rule . Although my default position without medication is to respond strongly to negative stimuli, and weakly to positive stimuli, I'm far from a genius.

johnn2
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2017, 10:31 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I must be an exception to the rule . Although my default position without medication is to respond strongly to negative stimuli, and weakly to positive stimuli, I'm far from a genius.

Where does he say anything about being a genius? You don't have to be a genius to have a high IQ. Looked it up and superior IQ is between 120-140. Genius is 140+

johnn2
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2017, 10:35 pm

actually by this website https://www.iqtestforfree.net/iq-scale.html superior IQs are between 110-119.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

I was merely saying I'm not particularly intelligent . I guess quite a few people belonging to Mensa would be geniuses.

As for superior: 120-129 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_classi ... nce_Scales

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 12:12 am

Physically I acknowledge this but as for 'mood disorders' I'm beyond repulsed. Anxiety is one thing but being drugged for harboring the wrong feelings is easily among the worst things ever imposed on me.

We're not defective for having emotional responses to things others might not understand.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Trojanofpeace
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2018, 8:06 am

IQ is over rated. Recent studies show it is not a reliable indictor of 'intelligence' as it is biased and narrow.
I can understand why some people value IQ scores, perhaps it helps with ego and self esteem. But it's not that widely valued really. Social Prowess trumps IQ any day in this world.

Trojanofpeace

01 Jan 2018, 8:13 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
I thought this was common knowledge. One of the things I hear most often about aspies are that they may be socially awkward and very introverted but they have amazingly high iqs.

This is a common misconception and is more based on consequence than cause. All people, NTs or AS have the ability to master subjects and skills and acquire high IQs. NTs however often naturally strive for a balance of physical, social and intellectual ability. Those who are lacking in one or two of those values tend to lean on the other. A bit like how blind people obtain extra great hearing. AS people are not born or made more intellectually intelligent, this comes about by circumstance.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2018, 6:55 am

I, myself, have Asperger Syndrome.

mrshappyhands

17 Jan 2018, 7:02 am

Trojanofpeace wrote:
IQ is over rated. Recent studies show it is not a reliable indictor of 'intelligence' as it is biased and narrow.
I can understand why some people value IQ scores, perhaps it helps with ego and self esteem. But it's not that widely valued really. Social Prowess trumps IQ any day in this world.

I watched an episode of Adam Ruins Everything recently that dealt with IQ tests and how they came to be. Supposedly they originated as a way to discriminate because at that time only a certain social demographic had access to education and the ability to...well, read. They also don't allow for people with test anxiety and may actually be detrimental to some.

Also, they're now discovering there are multiple types of intelligence and people can be gifted in various ways.

mrshappyhands

17 Jan 2018, 7:21 am

As far as high intelligence and disorders go, a recent Yale study has shown that there are a few disorders that overlap on the same alleles associated with intelligence. Who knows how the study will progress, but it seems common sense to me.

Moving on, high IQ is associated with hightened awareness, advanced cognitive function, creative thinking and problem solving. Those same traits can also make one more in-tune with the less than ideal things in life that others never stop to ponder over. It may be great to see things in an advanced form, but when that places you in the 1-2 percentile of population you aren't left with many who understand you. That can lead to anxiety disorders, depression, or even personality problems if established early enough.
Manic thoughts/episodes are very common amongst famous artists, authors, and other historical figures. They can give those "a-ha!"epiphany moments which helped their careers. The other side of that coin is the depressive side that accompanies that family of disorders.

I don't know about the physical problems associated with high iq, though I do know that certain mental health disorders can take a toll and lead to physical disorders. There's also a thing called the law of balances that states where nature grants in one area, it may take away in another.

Truthly, I think if every individual in the world was tested we'd discover that all of us have some form of ailment or another.