Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:45 pm

McDonalds allegedly fires man with autism for “Shaky Hands”

Quote:
Alex says that the fast food chain was aware of his condition before he was hired and that this was his first job.

“[The hiring manager] told me to come back Tuesday to start training,” Alex tells BuzzFeed News. “On the fourth day, they sent me home early and said, ‘Don’t worry you’re not fired.’ ”

But the day before he was supposed to return to work, Alex’s grandma told him that he was let go.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

This is something that interests me is what excuses companies use to make sure they don't have to hire somebody with autism?

The shaky hands falls under occupational health and safety (OHS) if the aforementioned employee is handling frying oil which is probably a requirement of employment

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:00 pm

Quote:
But the day before he was supposed to return to work, Alex’s grandma told him that he was let go. (The branch reached out to her, rather than to Alex directly.)

Why did they contact his grandmother? They should have told him, directly. Are they really so cowardly?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
This is something that interests me is what excuses companies use to make sure they don't have to hire somebody with autism?

The shaky hands falls under occupational health and safety (OHS) if the aforementioned employee is handling frying oil which is probably a requirement of employment

This guy was handling a cash register.

Quote:
“I did nothing wrong — I was always careful while handling change, my registers always had the right money,” Alex says. “I don’t like that they didn’t tell me personally. I feel like they weren’t treating me like a normal human being and made me feel like I was inadequate and worthless. I still haven’t gotten paid for the time I worked and they still haven’t told me when I will get paid. I just don’t understand.”

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/mcdonalds ... aky-hands/

I think that man has a very legitimate discrimination lawsuit if he wants to pursue one.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:03 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My sister worked in McDonalds in highschool. She had to handle the cash register, flip burgers and operate the deep fryer...employees are required to do more than handle the cash

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

My sister worked in McDonalds in highschool. She had to handle the cash register, flip burgers and operate the deep fryer...employees are required to do more than handle the cash

I guess he forgot to mention all that other stuff he was doing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

I think they should have told him straight up instead of telling his grandmother. Of course they're too cowardly, because they think we're fragile flowers or special snowflakes.