Are you into board and strategy games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

I've gotten back into them lately after a break from PC games, mainly chess and trying to learn shogi.

Do you play online, against AI, or against people? My older brother used to be in his school's chess club, but I'm not sure where to find something like that for adults or what the range of player skill would be.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:11 pm

I work in a board game café and take part in a monthly board game group so I have the luxury of playing these sorts of games in person.

Got a favourite?
Mine is Carcasonne.

These sorts of cafes are becoming common in the UK, though it might be worth scouting meetup.com in your case for a local group :)

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 8:24 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I work in a board game café and take part in a monthly board game group so I have the luxury of playing these sorts of games in person.

Got a favourite?
Mine is Carcasonne.

These sorts of cafes are becoming common in the UK, though it might be worth scouting meetup.com in your case for a local group :)

I've never heard of board game cafes, but I'd love to see some around here. Are there just games there or snacks too? I'm mainly into games like chess... a little rusty though.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm

Since I turned 21 I've been frequenting a tabletop gaming bar in north Portland called Game Knight. Lots of board games and D&D sessions have been played here since.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:00 pm

I love playing board games. Luckily, there is a board game meetup here in town that meets regularly so I get to try lots of different games :) We just finished playing Pandemic Legacy, which was pretty awesome.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:36 pm

I'm into gaming, but not boardgames.

Have a friend who is undiagnosed and probably on the spectrum and an acquaintance who is diagnosed, both are severely into board gaming. Whenever they talk about boardgames my ears shuts off, i prefer playing on a computer over the net with others, in contrast to sitting with people playing games over a table.

Sometimes when i have seen some of the people who play boardgames doing their acting out dramatisation of events in the game, i understand why athletes want to punch nerds in the face.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:44 pm

Ichinin wrote:

Have a friend who is undiagnosed and probably on the spectrum and an acquaintance who is diagnosed, both are severely into board gaming. Whenever they talk about boardgames my ears shuts off, i prefer playing on a computer over the net with others, in contrast to sitting with people playing games over a table.

Sometimes when i have seen some of the people who play boardgames doing their acting out dramatisation of events in the game, i understand why athletes want to punch nerds in the face.

Because sports fans and athletes never get all hyped up about their sports and competitions...I mean I think that is kind of obnoxious/stupid but I don't want to punch them in the face for it.

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

I love board games! Current favourites are Ticket to Ride (Europe & USA), Carcassonne, Splendor, and Chess. My husband and I frequently play them in the evening and with our local gaming group. Personally, I find games are a good way to interact with people.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm

Ichinin wrote:

That sounds more like tabletop RPGs than board games... is that maybe what they're doing?

Tabletop RPGs tend to involve a heck of alot of roleplaying (the acting) because creating and experiencing a story is half the point, and the actual dialogue that you come up with is an actual part of the gameplay.

Now as for me, I love the idea of board games. Or some card games. But in practice, I never actually get to do them. Why? I dont know anyone that would want to. It's very frustrating.

Same with things like tabletop RPGs. Well, no, that one is a bit different. Like, I do know of a group that does D&D, but... their sessions are like 5 freaking hours long. That's just too much for me, I'd end up getting a bit overwhelmed.

So yeah, one way or another I dont get to do these things often.

I have found some video games that do a great job of creating a Euro-boardgame experience while being singleplayer, and I've also found things like Sentinels of the Multiverse (can be played by 1-4 players, it's fantastic no matter how many you've got). So those are good at least, but still. I'd love to play actual board games. Generally the Euro type as those tend to be vastly more focused on strategy. Alot of American board games end up having too much luck involved.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 11:29 pm

Ichinin wrote:

And yet it's ok for sports fanatics to shout stupidly and act juvenile regardless of other people's feelings and sensations? Some have even caused riots if their favorite team lost a game. I doubt nerds have done the same for losing at one of their own favorite games.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Because sports fans and athletes never get all hyped up about their sports and competitions...I mean I think that is kind of obnoxious/stupid but I don't want to punch them in the face for it.

In the Bible Belt, it's perfectly acceptable to shout "YEEEAAHHHH!! !! f**k YEAH!! !! OH MY GOD!! !! f*****g TOUCH DOWN!! !" or "NOOOO!! !! f**k NO! GODDAMMIT! THEY DIDN'T f*****g SCORE!! !!" but if you want to rock out to your favorite song, you get odd looks or are laughed at. Not that I do that but if acting a fool to sports is considered acceptable, why isn't the same for anything else given a pass?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 12:40 am

i wanted to get into board games but i have had a chronic lack of anyone to play them with

there went that dream, down the shitter.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 6:14 am

I love board games. Carcassonne, Citadels.....lots and lots and lots.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 6:17 am

Canary wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

Got a favourite?
Mine is Carcasonne.

I've never heard of board game cafes, but I'd love to see some around here. Are there just games there or snacks too? I'm mainly into games like chess... a little rusty though.

Lots of snacks - from candies to crisps/tato chips.
Also cooked food! It might differ between different cafes. There are some others in the south that do food.

It's a really neat experience.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

I am, but I'm probably a little old school since I mostly play games like chess, monopoly and kimble... when I play, that is. Dad plays chess with me sometimes (but very rarely) and sometimes I get him and my sister to play kimble, but that's about it.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 2:36 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i wanted to get into board games but i have had a chronic lack of anyone to play them with

there went that dream, down the shitter.

Come visit my rock, we'll play board games until you scream :mrgreen:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 11:37 pm

I love board (and card, dice and video) games. Not strategy games though. I like lighter games, fillers, gateway games, easily learned and fun to play games.

I play with my mom or by myself (depending on the game).
I like Solitaire games like those from Smart Games and Think Fun.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765