Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:21 pm

This is a thread to discuss chickens. Random, I know, but they’re interesting!

Chickens are birds, but they rarely fly. There are many different types of chickens that vary in size. Chickens are omnivores and eat almost anything. They really like to eat mealworms.

Chickens are known as farm animals, but a few people in suburbs own chickens in their backyards.

Chickens taste good, sadly, because they’re my favorite animals! But I still eat chicken even though I like chickens. Yes, I’m guilty :oops:

The chicken is descended from the red junglefowl. There are more chickens in the world than people!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:23 pm

People say I'm a chicken. I'm not, I'm a duck. But I'm friends with many chickens.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:38 pm

In Australia, chickens are often called chooks (rhyming with books). My friend's family owns chickens so they can get eggs.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 11:04 pm

My family has had chickens. They are fun, and it's somehow soothing to watch them scratch around.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:16 am

I love chickens!
I had a silkie rooster that was black with a gold ruff around his neck, and the puffball on his head ran into his comb in a way that made it look like a frohawk. So the only appropriate name for him was Mr T.
Sometimes I'd hear all of the chickens squawking and going crazy outside, so I'd run outside to see what was wrong and it would be Mr T, the smallest bird in the flock, absolutely overwhelming a rooster three times his size!
It was beautiful.
I also had a big Rhode island red rooster that I trained to guard my shack. He was so mean. And sneaky. He would run all the way across the yard to attack anybody inside the fence (including me). I thought of it as good training, keeping me on guard and keeping my reflexes sharp. The red figured out how to sneak up behind people, so I'd have to listen for him any time I was outside. I kept a bicycle trailer flag (about 7' long skinny flexible fiberglass pole with a little orange flag on the end) on hand at all times to keep him at Bay.
I really miss my chickens.
I thought about trying to get just one or two to walk on a leash with me but I haven't tried it yet.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:20 am

I used to have chickens.
They would kill and eat the sparrows, so that was kind of freaky.
They also attracted snakes.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2017, 1:26 am

I LOVE chickens!! ! My favorite breed is a mottled Java. They are such pretty birds with a great personality. So docile and very easily handled. We had one that I named Big Mama because she got broody very often and would hatch and raise all the chicks from all the other hens. She would brood about 20 at a time. I loved that chicken she was my favorite. RIP Big Mama to the neighbor dogs. :cry:

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2017, 1:28 am

Raleigh wrote:
I used to have chickens.

Perhaps the snakes were attracted to the eggs, and possible easy prey that succeed the eggs.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:41 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I used to have chickens.

Perhaps the snakes were attracted to the eggs, and possible easy prey that succeed the eggs.

It was more like they were attracted by the mice which were attracted by the chicken feed.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:55 am

when i was 5 years old, me and some cousins went to mexico to visit family and we bought baby chickens there.

a few years later, when they were grown, all of them died. except mine.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 9:46 am

There are 25 billion chickens in the world!

joemamaugly
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2017, 12:02 pm

We have had chickens for years and have branched out into other fowl. The things we've raised include; peacocks, pheasants, geese, ducks, and quail. The chickens and peacocks have remained a staple here. Chickens can be very nasty, not just the roosters, but in general. To watch them work in their hierarchy is interesting, we have seen them go after mice but haven't ever had a snake problem. Raising birds has taught my kids about how things work and responsibility, which is the main reason I keep them around.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

My dad, who likes to farm and garden as a hobby in the summer, once kept some pheasants and then chickens for their meat a few years ago. One time I was at my parent's house and I saw a rooster in the chicken coop that was so huge and fat I don't think it could stand up. I started going on about to my father and said jokingly, "You're not giving it steroids or anything, are you?" :lol:

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 2:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
One time I was at my parent's house and I saw a rooster in the chicken coop that was so huge and fat I don't think it could stand up. I started going on about to my father and said jokingly, "You're not giving it steroids or anything, are you?" :lol:

Or cupcakes! Chickens have an easy time getting fat because they eat anything! You have to be careful what you feed them. Chickens love eating.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:58 pm

Ive kept chickens for years Silkies,Games,Cochins,Japanese Bantams,and right now I have Easter Eggers,a Light Brahma and one ancient Japanese bantam.
Black snakes do like the eggs,but I don't mind sharing.They also eat the rodents that show up for the feed.One of the snakes is huge close to a six footer.
My chicks are tame and enjoy being petted.
Possums and raccoons are the worst problem,if ther s a way in they will find it and eat the birds.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:33 pm

One summer while working on a farm, I had to break up a fight between a murder of crows and a fat, white rooster. The farmer wasn't surprised. That bird, he explained, is a member of the coo clucks clan.