Australian Defence Organization hiring Autistics

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 2:07 am

Why the Australian Defence Organization Is Recruiting Cyber Analysts on the Autism Spectrum

Quote:
Many people on the spectrum don’t do well in standard interview processes, so recruitment and assessment processes have had to be changed. Interviews are out; longer-term “hangouts” and project work “tryouts” are in — these give observers opportunities to watch individuals’ analyst abilities in action, a more accurate gauge than what might come out in an interview. La Trobe University’s Olga Tennison Autism Research Centre, working in conjunction with DXC and the Australian Defence Organization, has been translating, studying, and adapting the IDF’s psychometric assessment tools, figuring what works and what doesn’t in cybersecurity. Specially developed training provides unique preparation for the job. Once composed, dandelion teams work in highly effective “pods” (a DXC innovation), which have built-in support systems, including an autism

Though it remains early days, so far this works well. Preliminary evidence suggests that these new cybersecurity analysts are doing an outstanding job. Analysts with ASD are mostly very hard workers; it is difficult, in fact, to get them to take breaks. They are able to spot patterns others cannot see. And, in part because they do not like changes in routines, they have very high retention rates so far, across DXC’s dandelion programs (some of which are outside the Australian Defence Organization).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

God yes, I absolutely loathe interviews, because I am just so bad at them, so at least they got this right. Sounds interesting, so it's a shame my maths skills are probably not up to the standard they are probably looking for.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:01 pm

You do not need math skills to do image analysis, cyber security or intelligence. They are not just hiring codebreakers.

The big problem is the organisation itself, government agencies are rife with politicians, useless paper pushers and as*holes who want to step on others to further their own careers. When they can start guaranteeing that won't happen, they can actually start keeping their skilled staff too.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:18 pm

So how would I go about contacting them? I can't seem to find any details about how one can apply. Would I just visit the ADF website?