Page 1 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:58 pm

A world authority on the psychology of liars, Professor Bella De Paulo, has profiled Donald Trump as a prolific and malicious liar
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 86906178a4
In Trump's first 298 days in office, however, he made 1,628 false or misleading claims or flip-flops, by the Post's tally. That's about six per day, far higher than the average rate in her studies. And of course, reporters have access to only a subset of Trump's false statements - the ones he makes publicly - so unless he never stretches the truth in private, his actual rate of lying is almost certainly higher.

An astonishing 50 per cent of Trump's lies were hurtful or disparaging - typically told both to belittle others and enhance himself. The sheer frequency of Trump's lies appears to be having an effect, and it may not be the one he is going for. A Politico/Morning Consult poll from late October showed that only 35 per cent of voters believed that Trump was honest, while 51 per cent said he was not honest. (The others said they didn't know or had no opinion.) Results of a Quinnipiac University poll from November were similar: 37 per cent of voters thought Trump was honest, compared with 58 per cent who thought he was not.

For fewer than 40 per cent of American voters to see the president as honest is truly remarkable. Most humans, most of the time, believe other people. That's our default setting. Usually, we need a reason to disbelieve.

And yet so many people voted for him??

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:14 pm

Trump is a careless liar, while Clinton is a calculating liar.

So, polls show Trump was viewed more honest.

"Trump Rated More Honest"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-ra ... d=43225421

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:34 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump is a careless liar

How is this (in any way) a positive?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump is a careless liar

lesser of two evils? :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:37 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump is a careless liar

lesser of two evils? :D

forgive me if I'm not convinced

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 12:22 am

What's even more terrifying than the President being a pathological liar is how huge swaths of this country could hold ideology and identity politics over the truth, and so swallowed all his lies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
What's even more terrifying than the President being a pathological liar is how huge swaths of this country could hold ideology and identity politics over the truth, and so swallowed all his lies.

The worst thing is that erstwhile intelligent people who voted for Trump based their decision on Hillary being a liar

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 2:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The worst thing is that erstwhile intelligent people who voted for Trump based their decision on Hillary being a liar

Then they need to turn in their "intelligent person" cards.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 4:21 pm

I think with Trump it's "one step forward and two steps back" in terms of progress

I predict so called intelligent people (the 50% of university graduates who voted for him) will be hiding their voting preferences out of sheer embarrassment

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're forgetting that many, many people voted for Trump because they simply could not stand the thought of Hillary becoming the President. It was a case of viewing him as being the lesser of two evils.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:03 pm

Quote:
I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies. I thought I had developed a sense of what to expect from them. Then along came President Trump. His lies are both more frequent and more malicious than ordinary people’s.

In research beginning in the mid-1990s, when I was a professor at the University of Virginia, my colleagues and I asked 77 college students and 70 people from the nearby community to keep diaries of all the lies they told every day for a week. They handed them in to us with no names attached. We calculated participants’ rates of lying and categorized each lie as either self-serving (told to advantage the liar or protect the liar from embarrassment, blame or other undesired outcomes) or kind (told to advantage, flatter or protect someone else).

How can she, or anyone else for that matter, place any value upon such a study when it is perfectly within the bounds of possibility that the diaries these people kept were also falsified? How can anyone place any faith in a "study" (the inverted commas are there because I just can't take something like this seriously) where people are asked to accurately report on how, and under what circumstances, they will lie to others? How were the results verified? What percentage of participants had personality profiles (ex. sociopaths) that would have skewed the results, and cast doubt upon the usefulness of them? Is this what passes for science these days?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 11:21 pm

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're forgetting that many, many people voted for Trump because they simply could not stand the thought of Hillary becoming the President. It was a case of viewing him as being the lesser of two evils.

I think if a great many of those people could go back in time, and vote again while knowing what they know now, Clinton would have been elected.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 12:37 am

Lintar wrote:
Quote:
I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies. I thought I had developed a sense of what to expect from them. Then along came President Trump. His lies are both more frequent and more malicious than ordinary people’s.

In research beginning in the mid-1990s, when I was a professor at the University of Virginia, my colleagues and I asked 77 college students and 70 people from the nearby community to keep diaries of all the lies they told every day for a week. They handed them in to us with no names attached. We calculated participants’ rates of lying and categorized each lie as either self-serving (told to advantage the liar or protect the liar from embarrassment, blame or other undesired outcomes) or kind (told to advantage, flatter or protect someone else).

How can she, or anyone else for that matter, place any value upon such a study when it is perfectly within the bounds of possibility that the diaries these people kept were also falsified? How can anyone place any faith in a "study" (the inverted commas are there because I just can't take something like this seriously) where people are asked to accurately report on how, and under what circumstances, they will lie to others? How were the results verified? What percentage of participants had personality profiles (ex. sociopaths) that would have skewed the results, and cast doubt upon the usefulness of them? Is this what passes for science these days?

As a University professor her research is peer reviewed but of course there are likely to be limitations as there is with all social psychology research

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 5:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Hillary is a lawyer turned career politician. "Liar" is basically part of her job description. I think maybe people have a few other issues with her.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 12:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I think if a great many of those people could go back in time, and vote again while knowing what they know now, Clinton would have been elected.

I would not be so sure about that
Trump voters: We'd do it again Among those who voted for the president, there are few regrets
Quote:
According to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll conducted on the eve of the first anniversary of Trump's historic election, 82 percent of those who say they supported Trump last year would vote for him again if they had to do it over. That's slightly more than those who say they would vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton again — 78 percent — if they had the chance.

Only 7 percent of Trump voters and 8 percent of Clinton voters say they would vote for a different candidate if they could complete their 2016 ballot again.

Trump’s supporters have largely rallied around the president, despite his poor overall approval ratings, the chaos of his first year in office and the ongoing investigations into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

The results of the hypothetical do over would depend in what states the regretters reside

In an alternate universe where Clinton won if people could vote again Trump would likely win. Remember in that hypothetical world the Trump presidency did not happen.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 3:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Na. Not after the way the Democrats and Hillary have gone into meltdown mode and still haven't accepted the result. Trump is terrible but any rational person can see that Hillary was a million times worse.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"