Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BearBee
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2018, 5:00 am

I brush it pretty regularly because its thigh length and ends up in a state if I don't (I find it hard to handle haircuts).

NimbusNine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2018, 8:22 pm

I have always struggled with it and don't brush or comb my hair as often as I should, I often leave it for weeks and months. You can probably imagine how badly matted it gets. Last year I had not brushed my hair for a very long time, and because I neglected it so badly it was so horribly matted that I had to cut most of it off. (I used to have long, hip-length hair, now it's just at my shoulders.) I recall many nights that I had to stay up all night just to try and detangle my hair because I had a hairdresser appointment the next day. I have never liked the feeling of brushing or combing but I do like how soft my hair is when sufficiently cared for and brushed well.

I am trying to comb it every day now, but it can be hard to remember.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2018, 12:24 am

I finally began understanding my hair enough to not be frustrated with it about twelve years into adult hood. I've got short cut curly hair. Nowadays I only comb immediately after showering. I use a very wide toothed comb only immediately after getting out of the shower. Comb it out upside down, then scrunch it with a towel. The best thing I ever did with my hair was getting the damned length cut off. I will brush it & pull it into a short ponytail at home, but I don't go out that way anymore.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

I have fine somewhat curly hair and also do the conditioner/finger comb in the shower thing. Sea salt spray is my go-to product. I spray in that stuff and don't touch my hair again.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Kristaok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2018, 8:21 pm

My hair is down to my butt and I can't stand brushing it but I have to about daily because it's wavy so it gets tangled easily.

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2018, 1:52 am

I don't comb my hair, I brush my hair :lol:

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2018, 1:54 am

Kristaok wrote:
My hair is down to my butt and I can't stand brushing it but I have to about daily because it's wavy so it gets tangled easily.

I sympathize with you on that. My hair is wavy and down to my lower back, but I go through with brushing it multiple times a day, really carefully so as not to break any strands.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:46 am

No. Combing does absolutely nothing for my hair. If I have to arrange it, I used either my fingers or a boar bristle brush. But I hardly ever do anything with it anyway, it's always all over the place. I kept it about 4"-5" long for two years straight.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 5:34 am

I have been trying to comb it, but I think I need to get a brush to help stimulate rather than irritate my scalp. I got some really bad dandruff I have been trying to get control of. I did have my hair dreaded but then the dandruff settled in to the point it seemed my choices were cut it off or suffer a very lengthy ordeal of trying to brush out the dreads to treat the dandruff...so I opted for the hair cut. I got the sides shaved but kept some mohawk hair on top because I didn't want to go entirely buzzed. But I like it more than I thought so might keep the mohawk style for a while, IDK I just really like how it looks and makes my hair feel more manageable, plus I kind of like the feeling of getting it buzzed with the hair razor, its kind of relaxing.

I really hate it, but I have gotten dandruff since I was a kid, it goes away a lot of the time but it always comes back. Tried out having dreads but well the dandruff came back to ruin it...so I had most my hair cut off and have more of a Mohawk style now and I kind of like it so might stick with it for a while.

whatalala
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2018, 2:53 pm

I have thick, unruly curly hair cut into a pixie. I'm growing it out now, trying for a bob.

I comb it in the shower, usually while conditioner is in it. It's like a scalp massage almost! Feels lovely.

Other than that, no.

Ask me about my antipsychotics

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

Every day, usually twice a day at least.

Mine is also thick and curly, so if I don't comb it, I end up with Celtic dreadlocks. This is not attractive, at least not on me.

When I worked full time, I washed it daily to make it more manageable. Now I can tuck it into a shower cap and wash it every three days and surprise, it actually looks and feels much silkier.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2018, 3:31 pm

I have long hair and I brush them daily, I really like doing it, often feel an urge do brush them and that's fortunate because they tangle easily.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 4:11 pm

I have the kind of thick hair that goes frizzy in hot humid weather (like the Summer that we are having in NZ this year). My hairdresser (may she thrive and outlive me, so that I am never bereft of her services) recommended a fantastic product that turns my hair into silky strands without it feeling weighed down or greasy, which though a bit pricy delivered exactly what it promised.

So yes, I comb my hair several times a day and like to keep it well cut and coloured regularly. I learned long ago that when my hair feels good, I feel better, even on the most stressful of days. My foster mother didn't impart much to me in my adolescent years, but did contribute to me that if your hair is a mess, people don't bother looking any further. On that rare occasion, I think she was onto something, and her one piece of maternal-type advice has served me well.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:02 am

My hair is waist length and wavy, and I comb it once a day. If I didn't do it nobody would notice either. It's more of a routine to get ready in the morning. My hair doesn't tangle and the comb just goes right through it. If I brushed it however it's all poofy.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

My hair is really long and thick so I can only comb it in the shower or if it is wet. Usually after I get out of the shower and it's still soaking wet then I comb it. I have been asked "How long are you going to keep your hair that long before you cut it?"

I wash my hair more than once a week, use quality shampoo and conditioner, I never straighten, dye, curl or blow dry it unless my hairdresser does it at an appointment. I've never had to get it all chopped off when I go to get it trimmed.

That's my natural hair color and texture. Numerous people with straight and thin hair have said mean things about my hair such as the "before you cut it" comment. That's when I started obsessively combing the top of my hair. I've stopped that though :D

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 2:30 pm

Literally comb it? No. I use a brush. I don't have the patience for combs, and I think the breakage would be considerable.