What makes you level 2 instead of level 1 autism?

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2017, 4:24 am

I got labeled/diagnosed a long time ago. So I didn't get any level. It wasn't even an official diagnosis. People just thought it was a convenient label since no one knew what was up with me. I see a lot of people here who are level 2 instead of level 1.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 5:58 am

When I'm level 1 Aspie my hair turns gold.
When I'm level 2 (aka. ascended Aspie) I also emit lightning bolts.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 6:16 am

I might had been actually closer to 'high functioning' autistic instead of an aspie -- who could afford language with compensation of performance IQ over verbal IQ, and advanced physicality to acquire speech on time be qualified as an aspie.

The rest might not be the exact same case as I do -- very likely had something to do with adaptation and/or executive functioning.

TheSpectrum wrote:

:lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:06 am

They did a bunch of tests on me and the results of that testing was level 2.

Level 2 is moderate autism. Basically it means I need a significant amount of support but also that I am self sufficient in certain areas.

Level 3 means severe autism and requiring substantial support to a significant degree.

I started out as level 3, but then got upgraded to level 2 by age 10 because I was functioning and responding better.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

TheSpectrum wrote:

I'm jealous, I can only fart thunder.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2017, 8:41 am

How much it costs to take care of you.

Level 1 — Requiring Support
Translation: relatively cheap, doesn't need a lot in the way of accommodations and services

Level 2 — Requiring Substantial Support
Translation: relatively expensive, going to need serious accommodations and supports. Is there any way we can get them reclassified as Level 1 so as to preserve our profit margins?

Level 3 — Requiring Very Substantial Support
Translation: Holy s**t! This kid is going to cost us a fortune! Can we just get them institutionalized? Seriously, how's that cure coming? What do you mean "Not yet"!? We've been funding research for decades. Can we sue the vaccine companies to try and get some money back? No? How about a genetic test to identify these kids before they become such a burden? I'm not saying we should just abort them — that would be inhumane — but, seriously, have you seen how much it's going to cost us?! !

There's also an implicit Level 0 — Requiring No Support
Translation: Ah, they're functional enough. Just throw them out there and let them fend for themselves. And blame anything that happens on their not fitting in. If they just tried harder, they'd be fine

The levels exist for the benefit of government funding agencies and insurance companies. Don't read any more into them than that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:55 am

Amaltheia wrote:

Translation: relatively cheap, doesn't need a lot in the way of accommodations and services

Translation: relatively expensive, going to need serious accommodations and supports. Is there any way we can get them reclassified as Level 1 so as to preserve our profit margins?

Translation: Holy s**t! This kid is going to cost us a fortune! Can we just get them institutionalized? Seriously, how's that cure coming? What do you mean "Not yet"!? We've been funding research for decades. Can we sue the vaccine companies to try and get some money back? No? How about a genetic test to identify these kids before they become such a burden? I'm not saying we should just abort them — that would be inhumane — but, seriously, have you seen how much it's going to cost us?! !

Translation: Ah, they're functional enough. Just throw them out there and let them fend for themselves. And blame anything that happens on their not fitting in. If they just tried harder, they'd be fine

The levels exist for the benefit of government funding agencies and insurance companies. Don't read any more into them than that.

Hmm that seems a tad cynical :wink:

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 9:13 am

I hate functioning levels.
To me it's pointless, because my ability to function seems to fluctuate. Right now I might be level 1 - looking relatively passable, not dead.
Next week I might be level 3, unable to care for myself or speak or comprehend anything that is going on in any way.
See me sitting at a cafe with someone I'm comfortable with and in an encounter that I have prepared extensively for, and then see me in shutdown mode when I'm basically catatonic, and you'd swear I was two different people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 9:18 am

I have to admit a lot of it for me has to do with insurance, therapy, schooling placement etc.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 9:42 am

Amaltheia wrote:

level 0 just means they don't have it and that is where most people are.

Level 1, I see that as either being on disability and working for disability services for employment or relying on other people for support and they don't need caregivers or need living assistance. They can live a normal life like the rest of us and be functional.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2017, 1:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
Hmm that seems a tad cynical :wink:

League_Girl wrote:
level 0 just means they don't have it and that is where most people are.

No. They have it. They're just not entitled to any support.

Not eligible for disability. Employment assistance consists of punishing them for being unemployed. Telling them if they need other people, they should just "put themselves out there" because they just need to "make more of an effort". Sensory issues are dismissed as just whining or being manipulative.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 4:55 pm

DSM 5 wrote:

Level 2 “Requiring substantial support"
Marked deficits in verbal and nonverbal social
communication skills; social impairments apparent even with
supports in place; limited initiation of social interactions;
and reduced or abnormal responses to social overtures from
others. For example, a person who speaks simple sentences,
whose interaction is limited to narrow special interests,
and who has markedly odd nonverbal communication.

Inflexibility of behavior, difficulty coping
with change, or other restricted/
repetitive behaviors appear frequently
enough to be obvious to the casual
observer and interfere with functioning
in a variety of contexts. Distress and/
or difficulty changing focus or action.

Level 1 “Requiring support"
Without supports in place, deficits in social communication
cause noticeable impairments. Difficulty initiating social
interactions, and clear examples of atypical or unsuccessful
responses to social overtures of others. May appear
to have decreased interest in social interactions. For
example, a person who is able to speak in full sentences
and engages in communication but whose to-and-fro
conversation with others fails, and whose attempts to
make friends are odd and typically unsuccessful.

Inflexibility of behavior causes significant
interference with functioning in one or
more contexts. Difficulty switching between
activities. Problems of organization and
planning hamper independence

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

Amaltheia wrote:

The sad part about this is that it's brutal, yet true. Most of the things in government is usually all about how much money they have to spend! If it wasn't about money we wouldn't have insurance companies trying to get out of paying for expenses also, we would probably have more support for autism if it wasn't about money.

Back to the topic, it's hard to tell the difference between autism level 1 and 2. In the end though, what we need is support not some "level", the level does us no good if we don't have anyway of getting help.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 6:11 pm

The people above already said what it means for ASD spectrum but I would like to say that in Poland all disabilities are level 1, 2 or 3 and those are:

1. Slight disability/ Partial inability to work
Disability that significantly reduces the ability to perform work, compared to the ability of a healthy person with similar professional qualifications or causes limitations in performing social roles, that can be compensated by the use of equipment or technology.
2. Moderate disability / Full inability to work
Disability that makes a person incapable of work or able to work only in protected work conditions or requiring temporary or partial assistance to other people in order to fulfill social roles.
3. Significant disability / Full inability to work and inability to independent existence
Disability that makes you unable to work or able to work only in protected work conditions and requiring, in order to fulfill social roles, permanent or long-term care and help of other people in connection with inability to independent existence.

I received level 1 when I was attending school because I was dealing with life just fine (I only needed headphones to prevent sensory overload and the teachers writing stuff down so I know what the homework is) but after graduating and being unable to deal with the changes related to becoming an adult and job hunting I earned level 2.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 6:56 pm

I guess I'm classed as the borderline between, 0 and 1 but at one time in my life I was between 1 and 2

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:

At level 3 you go beyond the level of an ascended Aspie, your golden hair grows all the way to your waist and start exhibiting some facial features