One Thing I Never Understood About School Bullies

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:12 am

I don't need to create another topic about bullying but it's safe to say that many of the students had anger issues and I was their punching bag both literally and figuratively. I have always wondered why the bullying students never once directed that rage towards the crappy teachers. I remember sitting in another boring class thinking 'we outnumber her 32 to 1, so why are we putting up with this verbal abuse?' Not once do I recall any of the bullies ever telling off a teacher or refusing to do a BS assignment. It's not like they were ever going to amount to anything in life and they didn't have to worry about the law since they were under 18 so why didn't anybody stand up to the fact we were treated like cattle at times?

It never ceased to amazed me how these 'tough' bullies would just sit there and take it without offering any form of resistance when it came to crappy teacher, unfair marking, etc outside of some mild grumbling yet they would attack someone like me how never had a beef with them, never bothered them and was never rude to them.

Seff
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2017, 8:31 am

People always say the thing with bullies is that they are insecure themselves, but I’ve always been massively insecure (and bullied) and I never once thought about bullying another person.

Personally I think the reason bullies pick on other kids and not teachers is that they know they’d be in trouble for verbally or physically attacking a teacher, but a fellow student is free game because all schools tend to have a stupid ‘no violence’ policy which means if you retaliate to physical abuse then your going to get into just as much trouble as the aggressor, which is frankly stupid. Also if you take a non-violent route such as telling someone about it, it’s your word against theirs and nothing ever comes from it.

So ultimately, no, I don’t know why bullies act the way they do! :lol:

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:34 am

Seff wrote:
People always say the thing with bullies is that they are insecure themselves, but I’ve always been massively insecure (and bullied) and I never once thought about bullying another person.

Yeah, I hate when people tell me that. As if I'm not supposed to be upset towards those who've mistreated me.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:39 am

edited

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 12 Dec 2017, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2017, 8:48 am

Ekhm, my class at high school was quite successful in bullying teachers... some of them ended up with mental treatment and refusing to go to work...
It was a group of smart, insubordinated teenagers. Nothing violent ever happened (except for feeding metallic potassium to the fish in aquarium... the fish exploded and the teacher became hysterical) but we were very likely to play on every weakness a teacher showed.
I'm not proud of this myself... okay there is a part I'm proud of. Because winning with a supposedly superior adversary is something you feel proud of. And he was abusive.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Ly Tong
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2017, 3:58 am

it is just my 2 cent thought. you dont have to listen to me

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 4:05 am

Ly Tong wrote:
it is just my 2 cent thought. you dont have to listen to me

?

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I don't need to create another topic about bullying but it's safe to say that many of the students had anger issues and I was their punching bag both literally and figuratively. I have always wondered why the bullying students never once directed that rage towards the crappy teachers. I remember sitting in another boring class thinking 'we outnumber her 32 to 1, so why are we putting up with this verbal abuse?' Not once do I recall any of the bullies ever telling off a teacher or refusing to do a BS assignment. It's not like they were ever going to amount to anything in life and they didn't have to worry about the law since they were under 18 so why didn't anybody stand up to the fact we were treated like cattle at times?

It never ceased to amazed me how these 'tough' bullies would just sit there and take it without offering any form of resistance when it came to crappy teacher, unfair marking, etc outside of some mild grumbling yet they would attack someone like me how never had a beef with them, never bothered them and was never rude to them.

I think bullies picked on you and other kids because it makes them feel superior and they can control you. Most bullies are insecure and many come from a controlling family or have problems that are out of their control.(such as mental health issues.)

Since the victim usually doesn't do anything it allows them to control you and have power over you. In school, teachers have power over the students so bullying a teacher would be stupid unless you know you can intimidate them and make them submit.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

wadewilson
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2018, 4:02 am

that's why I learned martial art and carry a baton in my schoolbag :)

-----

Last edited by B19 on 05 Jan 2018, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:08 am

Bullies go after vulnerable targets precisely because they won't fight back. Even if the teacher is outnumbered the power structure behind said teacher will respond.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 7:37 am

Sometimes students do stand up to unfair teachers, I know I have. Teachers have overruling power in situations, so it can be scary to stand up to them in fear of punishment (getting the parents involved, detention etc.)

During my last year of Secondary school however, well...there's only so much nonsense I could take. Nearly everyone was scared of my physics teacher, I was for quite some time. She had these sharp bright blue eyes that seemed to stare at you across the room, and a loud controlling voice perfect for barking orders at us.

Nobody except me stood up to her. She'd talk down to me as if I were stupid, and blame me for her mistakes. :x

One day I'd simply had enough. We were talking in the middle of the classroom, the teacher had given us the wrong sheet but didn't want to admit to her mistake. Instead, she blamed me- mockingly making comments suggesting that I was incapable of using a computer correctly. After about the third attempt of trying to calmly explain to her what mistake she had made, a part of me just thought "Right, that's it!"

"Look, just look at this!" I instructed her, then I picked up a massive pile of other student's work and dumped it in front of her on her desk. That way she could no longer ignore all the evidence. I pointed out how everyone had the same sheet, and made a point how it was obvious she'd only bothered to check my work, otherwise she would've noticed this instead of having a go at me and only me. Then I brought up the original computer file in front of her.

"Nobody has the right sheet! But do you know why nobody else has said anything? It's because everyone thinks you're scary, and you don't bloody listen! You don't! So how about you check work other than mine? And maybe, just maybe- I'm not the one here who can't use a computer properly! OK?"

At that moment in time I wasn't thinking about the possibility of a detention, nor did I fear looking her in the eyes like I usually did.

Personally, I was just sick and tired of her not listening to me. After my rant at her, she fell silent until she murmured a faint apology, and admitted to the mistake. Thankfully, she didn't issue me any punishment.

The rest of the class looked at me in complete shock. 8O

It wasn't often that the room was silent, but as I walked back to my seat everyone was quiet and staring at me seemingly in awe at what had just happened. People started referring to me as cocky after that incident, but I didn't care. Someone had to correct her, if I hadn't then I would've had to rewrite the sheet myself, and cover for her mistakes. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 8:38 am

I believe you. But this would be a great scene in a movie.

If I was in your class, I’d dig you.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 10:26 am

This is such an excellent video. It’s information dense.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 12:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe you. But this would be a great scene in a movie.

If I was in your class, I’d dig you.

:lol:

I'll admit how I acted was a tad dramatic. That's just how I was back then, plus I'd felt annoyed at how that teacher treated me for quite some time, so when I had the chance to prove her wrong... it was too tempting to pass up.

Our teachers seemed to care less during our last school terms, so we got away with much more than we would've done in the earlier years.

After the above incident I started to talk back to teachers more, I remember when I was sat in art, my teacher had yet to arrive, and a girl came up to me and threw paint in my face. This was hardly a surprise because quite a few people treated me fairly bad in school, so I was used to stuff like that randomly happening to me. It had been twenty or so minutes and no sign of the teacher.

I went to the toilets in order to wash off the paint, because I didn't particularly fancy sitting in art with purple paint on my face.

Unfortunately, when I came back the teacher had finally arrived and scolded me for being late! I tried to explain the situation, but they kept telling me to stop making up excuses.

So, in the end I replied "I'm not making up excuses, she really did throw paint in my face, and maybe if you'd bothered to show up on time in the first place instead of being twenty minutes late, then you'd know that!"

I'm sure they had their reasons for being late, but I feel like they should've had someone there to watch us. Shame they didn't, otherwise maybe that girl would've thought twice about throwing paint at me. Or maybe she would have still thrown it at me, I don't know. It wasn't just a bit of paint either, she covered a plastic glove with purple paint and slapped me with it so I had a purple hand print all over my face. *Sigh* I don't miss school at all. :x

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 12:59 pm

Yep....teachers were always thinking students had "excuses."

Many times, teachers had "excuses" for their ineptitude, too.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

One thing I know about bullies, and I don't need anything else.

You hit em back, they fall down. Just one punch is normally enough.
Scared em s**tless. They aren't used to resistance normally and freak out.