Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 2:26 pm

Hello and Merry Christmas. Today I put up and decorated my Christmas tree (2 feet but looks bigger because it stands on the coffee table) and I wondered if anyone else does this knowing they are the only people who will see it?

I was late (over 30) coming to the realisation that it was worth the bother even if it was just for myself, and I wondered what other people on their own do. I see it as evidence that even if I can't live with others at least I've learnt to live with myself.

I will be cooking Christmas dinner at my Mum's this year as we've manged to bond a bit over both being hated by my sister so that's something, but I've had Christmas dinners alone before and I've learnt to go all out, even if it seems a bit sad at first and wondered what everyone else on there own was going to do.

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2017, 2:36 pm

I usually cook myself a nice meal, and that's about it. :)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 2:48 pm

I generally just treat it like any other day, as far as that is possible. If any of my friends would otherwise be on their own, we might get together for a few drinks in a very small group. If the weather's OK, I like to go out for a long walk, as everywhere is so quiet and peaceful while the majority of folks are eating too much and watching the same old re-runs on the TV.

It doesn't make me feel sad or lonely to do that, and I'm not militantly anti-Christmas, as I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone else. I keep in touch with family by seeing them at quieter times that are easier for me to cope with. They know about my autism, and I live quite a long way from them, so my absence doesn't offend anyone.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 2:50 pm

Phrygian wrote:

A traditional one, or a modern favourite?

My first CD alone I cooked a microwave Chinese ready-meal, I thought it great but luckily I wasn't a fussy eater back then :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 2:58 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I generally just treat it like any other day, as far as that is possible. If any of my friends would otherwise be on their own, we might get together for a few drinks in a very small group. If the weather's OK, I like to go out for a long walk, as everywhere is so quiet and peaceful while the majority of folks are eating too much and watching the same old re-runs on the TV.

It doesn't make me feel sad or lonely to do that, and I'm not militantly anti-Christmas, as I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone else. I keep in touch with family by seeing them at quieter times that are easier for me to cope with. They know about my autism, and I live quite a long way from them, so my absence doesn't offend anyone.

There's something different about a walk taken on Christmas day, it always feels crisp and clean, or maybe it's just because it's quieter.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 3:21 pm

^^ I think I get a bit of that feeling from knowing that the shortest day has passed too, even though that's a few days earlier and the worst winter weather might be yet to come. Even though I don't do the usual Xmas festive stuff, it feels right to be celebrating something at that time.

Phrygian

14 Dec 2017, 3:23 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Phrygian wrote:

My first CD alone I cooked a microwave Chinese ready-meal, I thought it great but luckily I wasn't a fussy eater back then :D

I am actually not a picky eater either, but it's a good excuse for a bit of luxury.

Well, not to sound stereotypical, but I am a guy so you know... steak. Usually a high quality T-bone or Ribeye, paired with some homemade sweet potato fries, and bearnaise or whisky sauce. Simpleton food, but there's honestly nothing I'd rather eat. :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 3:59 pm

Phrygian wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Phrygian wrote:

I am actually not a picky eater either, but it's a good excuse for a bit of luxury.

Well, not to sound stereotypical, but I am a guy so you know... steak. Usually a high quality T-bone or Ribeye, paired with some homemade sweet potato fries, and bearnaise or whisky sauce. Simpleton food, but there's honestly nothing I'd rather eat. :)

That all sounds yummy :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 4:07 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^^ I think I get a bit of that feeling from knowing that the shortest day has passed too, even though that's a few days earlier and the worst winter weather might be yet to come. Even though I don't do the usual Xmas festive stuff, it feels right to be celebrating something at that time.

Maybe it's our pagan ancestors calling us to mark the change from heading towards darkness to heading towards spring and new life.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 4:28 pm

I have a little tree and Im the only one that sees it. I honestly wouldnt have decorated at all but it was my moms idea. I dont mind having it though. I live alone and it is quite lonely. : (

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Dec 2017, 8:16 am

I'm not into Christmas or any other holidays really but my girlfriend likes em. She put out a two foot tree a couple years ago & we're about the only people who saw it cuz we don't have visitors much except her mom comes in when her parents bring her back from staying at their place & they leave shortly after the groceries are brought in. About the only other person who comes over is her sister but it's not that often sometimes. Cass didn't put out the tree this year partly because she's been too stressed & we have a different cat now who would probably knock it over & then attack the decorations & break em.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 12:45 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
I have a little tree and Im the only one that sees it. I honestly wouldnt have decorated at all but it was my moms idea. I dont mind having it though. I live alone and it is quite lonely. : (

Have you lived alone for long? I felt very lonely the first times that I left home (I didn't last) but the third time was much better (I mover gradually, over three months). It wasn't being alone that made me feel lonely it was being somewhere that was not my home. It's been my home now for 9 years :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 3:02 pm

I put up a tree and decorate it in my apartment every year, even though I'm the only one who usually sees it. But it's nice to see all it lit up in the evenings when I'm watching TV or napping on the couch. My parents were over this week hooking up my new TV and cable box, but they never even mentioned anything about the tree or decorations. :(

My parents got me that tree a years ago because I wanted it, so the least I do is display it. I even have an official Charlie Brown tree, complete with Linus's blanket and a big red ball that fortunately doesn't make the tree fall over when I put it on. :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I put up a tree and decorate it in my apartment every year, even though I'm the only one who usually sees it. But it's nice to see all it lit up in the evenings when I'm watching TV or napping on the couch. My parents were over this week hooking up my new TV and cable box, but they never even mentioned anything about the tree or decorations. :(

My parents got me that tree a years ago because I wanted it, so the least I do is display it. I even have an official Charlie Brown tree, complete with Linus's blanket and a big red ball that fortunately doesn't make the tree fall over when I put it on. :)

A Charlie Brown Christmas tree sounds fun :D do you try to put other baubles as well as the big red one?

When I first got my tree I lived with my Dad. I put it up and said look at the tree and he just grunted. The next day I bought some chocolates and hung them from it. On Christmas Eve I started unwrapping the chocs and eating them and he was so annoyed to realise they had been there all week and he hadn't eaten any. Every year after that as soon as it was up he would be checking the tree, he never ignored my tree again :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 5:06 pm

For me, it is important to continue the milestones of life even if I am the only person who experiences it. I even celebrate my annual autism diagnosis day by going to a nice restaurant or a bakery for some cheesecake. Nobody knows but me.

But, I learned that it helps to schedule certain activities over several days. Otherwise, the effect resembles a kind of slap-bang redesign one day with another coming the following morning. Slowing it all down where every day or two offers a new ritual is important to make the experience more authentic.

I have found that including specific books, music, movies and meals can make all the difference. And the art of contemplation (religious for some, maybe not so much for others) in the final hours can offer quite the sense of accomplishment well done.

Thanks for this topic! :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 4:13 am

nick007 wrote:
I'm not into Christmas or any other holidays really but my girlfriend likes em. She put out a two foot tree a couple years ago & we're about the only people who saw it cuz we don't have visitors much except her mom comes in when her parents bring her back from staying at their place & they leave shortly after the groceries are brought in. About the only other person who comes over is her sister but it's not that often sometimes. Cass didn't put out the tree this year partly because she's been too stressed & we have a different cat now who would probably knock it over & then attack the decorations & break em.

I'm sorry your girlfriend is struggling at the moment, Christmas can be very overwhelming when things already feel on top of you. Hope she feels a bit better soon but your prob best taking things easy. Cats v Christmas trees it's like Aliens v Predator only more violent :D