Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 4:13 am

nick007 wrote:
I'm not into Christmas or any other holidays really but my girlfriend likes em. She put out a two foot tree a couple years ago & we're about the only people who saw it cuz we don't have visitors much except her mom comes in when her parents bring her back from staying at their place & they leave shortly after the groceries are brought in. About the only other person who comes over is her sister but it's not that often sometimes. Cass didn't put out the tree this year partly because she's been too stressed & we have a different cat now who would probably knock it over & then attack the decorations & break em.

I'm sorry your girlfriend is struggling at the moment, Christmas can be very overwhelming when things already feel on top of you. Hope she feels a bit better soon but your prob best taking things easy. Cats v Christmas trees it's like Aliens v Predator only more violent :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Dec 2017, 5:18 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I'm not into Christmas or any other holidays really but my girlfriend likes em. She put out a two foot tree a couple years ago & we're about the only people who saw it cuz we don't have visitors much except her mom comes in when her parents bring her back from staying at their place & they leave shortly after the groceries are brought in. About the only other person who comes over is her sister but it's not that often sometimes. Cass didn't put out the tree this year partly because she's been too stressed & we have a different cat now who would probably knock it over & then attack the decorations & break em.

I'm sorry your girlfriend is struggling at the moment, Christmas can be very overwhelming when things already feel on top of you. Hope she feels a bit better soon but your prob best taking things easy. Cats v Christmas trees it's like Aliens v Predator only more violent :D
Thanx. I think your rite about that

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:28 pm

I think it's nice that people make an effort for Christmas even when they live alone.

I know that if I lived alone I probably wouldn't bother. Only because it just wouldn't occur to me, that all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:42 pm

now and then my in-laws drop down from Bellevue to the lake house, and they invite me over, and we play a game of yankee swap where each of us submits an anonymous white elephant gift :elephant: and take lots as to who they will go to. at the end of it we stuff our faces with yummy foods. :chef: this reminds me, I need to go to the wal marché and get me a couple of turkey TV Dinners, in case this does not happen this year. :santa:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
...this reminds me, I need to go to the wal marché and get me a couple of turkey TV Dinners, in case this does not happen this year. :santa:

Don't forget the pumpkin pie and egg nog. :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:54 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
...this reminds me, I need to go to the wal marché and get me a couple of turkey TV Dinners, in case this does not happen this year. :santa:

I prefer pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate whipped cream, and hard cider on the rocks. :chef: :drunken:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:00 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I prefer pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate whipped cream, and hard cider on the rocks. :chef: :drunken:

Nice!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:07 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Nice!

do you have any special xmas requests or habits?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Nice!

Mine include a meal of my own choosing (ham, some kind of pie and brandied eggnog), reading the unabridged version of A Christmas Carol (the slightly more "adult" version which essentially describes why Scrooge is redeemable) and some minimalist acoustic music of carols. Oh, and watching the George C. Scott video of A Christmas Carol; it is a good ensemble cast.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:33 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Nice!

Mine include a meal of my own choosing (ham, some kind of pie and brandied eggnog), reading the unabridged version of A Christmas Carol (the slightly more "adult" version which essentially describes why Scrooge is redeemable) and some minimalist acoustic music of carols. Oh, and watching the George C. Scott video of A Christmas Carol; it is a good ensemble cast.

that sounds edifying. :star:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:16 am

AspieUtah wrote:
For me, it is important to continue the milestones of life even if I am the only person who experiences it. I even celebrate my annual autism diagnosis day by going to a nice restaurant or a bakery for some cheesecake. Nobody knows but me.

But, I learned that it helps to schedule certain activities over several days. Otherwise, the effect resembles a kind of slap-bang redesign one day with another coming the following morning. Slowing it all down where every day or two offers a new ritual is important to make the experience more authentic.

I have found that including specific books, music, movies and meals can make all the difference. And the art of contemplation (religious for some, maybe not so much for others) in the final hours can offer quite the sense of accomplishment well done.

Thanks for this topic! :D

Yes, Christmas is a time for pausing to think and to contemplate ones life, something best done more than just a day or two.

I'm going through my Christmas books at the moment, I'm on 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas'. I rely on my radio for Christmas music 'Classic FM' and I'll be watching 'Love Actually' DVD at some point. :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 9:54 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
For me, it is important to continue the milestones of life even if I am the only person who experiences it. I even celebrate my annual autism diagnosis day by going to a nice restaurant or a bakery for some cheesecake. Nobody knows but me.

But, I learned that it helps to schedule certain activities over several days. Otherwise, the effect resembles a kind of slap-bang redesign one day with another coming the following morning. Slowing it all down where every day or two offers a new ritual is important to make the experience more authentic.

I have found that including specific books, music, movies and meals can make all the difference. And the art of contemplation (religious for some, maybe not so much for others) in the final hours can offer quite the sense of accomplishment well done.

Thanks for this topic! :D

Yes, Christmas is a time for pausing to think and to contemplate ones life, something best done more than just a day or two.

I'm going through my Christmas books at the moment, I'm on 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas'. I rely on my radio for Christmas music 'Classic FM' and I'll be watching 'Love Actually' DVD at some point. :D

Indeed. I meant to imply that I start my Christmas season on Saint Nicholas' Day (Dec. 6) as any sane individual ought to do, and conclude it all on New Year's Day. I take it slow, and enjoy every moment.

BTW, I hadn't ever heard of Love Actually, but the trailer makes me want to watch it! Thanks.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm

^It's a nice film, it has an old fashioned feel to it. I haven't seen the second one, it's supposed to be good too.

For me only Alastair Sim can be Ebenezer Scrooge :D as in the 1951 film Scrooge.

One of my nephews was born 10th Dec and I'm a New Year's Day baby so to me Christmas is everything in between :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:51 pm

anybody else here find a simple charm in watching "The Muppet Xmas Carol" movie (the uncut version featuring the song "when love has gone)?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
anybody else here find a simple charm in watching "The Muppet Xmas Carol" movie (the uncut version featuring the song "when love has gone)?

Probably the best of the Muppets movies.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:00 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Probably the best of the Muppets movies.

haven't seen many others, but it did a surprisingly competent job in retelling the scrooge tale.