Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:00 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
anybody else here find a simple charm in watching "The Muppet Xmas Carol" movie (the uncut version featuring the song "when love has gone)?

Probably the best of the Muppets movies.

haven't seen many others, but it did a surprisingly competent job in retelling the scrooge tale.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
anybody else here find a simple charm in watching "The Muppet Xmas Carol" movie (the uncut version featuring the song "when love has gone)?

haven't seen many others, but it did a surprisingly competent job in retelling the scrooge tale.

I agree. Muppet Treasure Island is good, too, but not quite as well done (but hey, Brian Henson signed my copy of it, anyway).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:18 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I agree. Muppet Treasure Island is good, too, but not quite as well done (but hey, Brian Henson signed my copy of it, anyway).

'tis a pity that he couldn't prevent Disney from butchering his movie.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 4:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

'tis a pity that he couldn't prevent Disney from butchering his movie.

Indeed.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:00 am

I usually order dinner online maybe lasagna. I cooked on Thanksgiving once, I made stuffing, mashed potatoes, can berries, corn & I bought a chicken at the grocery store.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:23 am

I think I had chicken for xmas once. :chef:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Dec 2017, 2:46 am

I spent last Christmas alone because we visited my parents in February instead & we did the Christmas thing a couple days before with Cass's family since the buses don't run that day. Cass spent a couple nights with her parents & I took the bus back since her parents don't have room to have me stay too & someone had to be around to feed our pets. I think I ordred pizza for lunch the day after we did the thing with her family & I had leftovers to eat on for a couple days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 8:05 am

I live alone, but am going to my parents' place for Christmas. Most likely I will go there on 22nd and come back home on 26th.

At home I have a small (fake) tree that I got as a preteen. I don't put any decorations on it since parts of it light up and change colors once I put the plug in and put it on. I would like to replace it with a much bigger fake tree (because I hate cleaning the mess a real one would bring and I might be a little allergic) that I could actually decorate, but my place is small so it'll have to wait until I get a bigger one. I also replaced the decorative pillows and the blanket on my couch with ones that are more Christmas like at the beginning of December and put a pretty tablecloth on the kitchen table. I have some Christmas flowers I got on my birthday, too. I'll also make some gingerbreads... tomorrow? Or the day after, haven't decided.

At my parents' place I'll also bake some gingerbreads and mince pies (what a weird word), but I'm going to use the kind of dough I can get from grocery store instead of making it myself. On Christmas Eve, which is the day here, not Christmas day, I think I'll bake some bread so my mom can have breakfast when she wakes up (she has a night shift and will be home around 7 am. She'll go directly to the bed.) No idea when we'll eat the Christmas meal (ham, meat balls, different kinds of casseroles (another new and weird word) etc.), but probably somewhere between 2-5 pm. Sometime after that we usually share and open the presents... no idea why, but the sharing the presents -part has always been my favorite thing about Christmas. Not exactly getting presents, but just going around with my sister (used to be the older one, these days the younger one), giving the presents to their right owners. Most of the family also goes to a Christmas sauna, too.

And of course, Christmas day. Not really a big thing here, but I plan to bake a cake in the morning since it's my mother's birthday.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:51 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I usually order dinner online maybe lasagna. I cooked on Thanksgiving once, I made stuffing, mashed potatoes, can berries, corn & I bought a chicken at the grocery store.

I love stuffing :D

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:53 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:

I'll swap mine for your brussel sprouts, if you like! :lol:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I think I had chicken for xmas once. :chef:

I am doing roast chicken for Christmas dinner this year. I like it much more than turkey.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:57 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

I'll swap mine for your brussel sprouts, if you like! :lol:

Yes please :D

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:52 am

Fireblossom wrote:
I live alone, but am going to my parents' place for Christmas. Most likely I will go there on 22nd and come back home on 26th.

At home I have a small (fake) tree that I got as a preteen. I don't put any decorations on it since parts of it light up and change colors once I put the plug in and put it on. I would like to replace it with a much bigger fake tree (because I hate cleaning the mess a real one would bring and I might be a little allergic) that I could actually decorate, but my place is small so it'll have to wait until I get a bigger one. I also replaced the decorative pillows and the blanket on my couch with ones that are more Christmas like at the beginning of December and put a pretty tablecloth on the kitchen table. I have some Christmas flowers I got on my birthday, too. I'll also make some gingerbreads... tomorrow? Or the day after, haven't decided.

At my parents' place I'll also bake some gingerbreads and mince pies (what a weird word), but I'm going to use the kind of dough I can get from grocery store instead of making it myself. On Christmas Eve, which is the day here, not Christmas day, I think I'll bake some bread so my mom can have breakfast when she wakes up (she has a night shift and will be home around 7 am. She'll go directly to the bed.) No idea when we'll eat the Christmas meal (ham, meat balls, different kinds of casseroles (another new and weird word) etc.), but probably somewhere between 2-5 pm. Sometime after that we usually share and open the presents... no idea why, but the sharing the presents -part has always been my favorite thing about Christmas. Not exactly getting presents, but just going around with my sister (used to be the older one, these days the younger one), giving the presents to their right owners. Most of the family also goes to a Christmas sauna, too.

And of course, Christmas day. Not really a big thing here, but I plan to bake a cake in the morning since it's my mother's birthday.

Mine's fake as well. I've had it about 13 years and I've become attached to it (not literally) I wouldn't like to have a new tree each year, although I do like the smell of real ones. One day I'd like to have a real Christmas tree in the front garden where it can just grow a bit bigger each year and I can put some lanterns and things on it :D

I love mince pies, :D they're called that because they originally had mincemeat in them.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:57 am

I have plenty of family around, but our celebration will be on Christmas Eve, not on Christmas itself. So I had planned to just fix something quick and easy and spend the day alone.

I found out Monday afternoon that someone I know who is on call and can't leave town on Christmas will be home alone as well while his wife and family go to a nearby town to have Christmas dinner with relatives.

So i may go over to his house and we can fix something new to try out. We're thinking of fixing fondant potato along with some ham, turkey, beef, or chicken for lunch. I've been planning on making fondant potato for a while but never have had time to do it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 6:03 am

^^^that sounds yummy :chef:

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 6:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that sounds yummy :chef:

As far as I can tell, fondant potato is pretty rare in the US but is fairly common in Europe. There are a number of youtube videos on how to make it.

Basically, you craft the potatoes to resemble barrels and then cut them in half. Put one end of each piece of potato in oil in a heavy skillet and fry it until a golden brown. Then, without turning the potato, add butter and chicken stock and bake in the oven for half an hour at around 400 degrees. And you top with some herb, but I don't remember which.

I showed a youtube video on this to the owner of the Mexican Restaurant next door to my office. She is contemplating making fondant potato there, although I don't know how well it will fit in with things like burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.