Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

E2LA here. As you know, today the FCC (in the US) voted 3-2 to end Title II Net Neutrality laws. I hear and see too many people freaking out about how it's going to end the internet..... but this change may not happen, nor will it happen overnight. I present to you a few articles to read for your consideration before you start freaking out:

1. https://gizmodo.com/what-actually-happe ... 1820813374
2. http://fortune.com/2017/05/18/net-neutrality-fcc-kills/
3. https://www.inverse.com/article/38776-n ... s-internet
4.http://www.businessinsider.com/fcc-to-v ... al-2017-12

The above four articles illustrate that even with today's vote, the fight over Net Neutrality is far from over.

Some takeaways from what I read:
1. Normal internet users like you and me will lose out with the repeal of the net neutrality rules. It won't happen overnight, but you can expect broadband providers to start limiting what you can access on the internet or charging you more to get to the sites and services you regularly use.
2. Despite the vote today, the rules aren't a sure thing; the FCC can't change the rules because it wants to, and that the courts will likely look at this case for a while, and FCC commissioner Ajit Pai figures to face an uphill battle to get judges to agree with his new rules.
3. All of the FCC's previous net neutrality efforts have been met in court in the past, and it is likely that one or both sides will head to the Appeals Court for the District of Columbia to file a lawsuit to block the change.

So, this battle is far from over, and could go on for a while, everyone. I hope you can read the articles a bit, but please keep the discussion civil.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Dec 2017, 1:04 am

equestriatola wrote:
1. Normal internet users like you and me will lose out with the repeal of the net neutrality rules. It won't happen overnight, but you can expect broadband providers to start limiting what you can access on the internet or charging you more to get to the sites and services you regularly use.
Using a VPN would help get around this some. My VPN is Private Internet Access. I mainly got it so I wouldn't get in trouble with Crapcast(Comcast) for file-sharing & I never got another email from them about it since I started using PIA a few years ago.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 3:17 am

Situation is different on the other side of the pond.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-5265_en.htm

Regardless of what happens in the short term, NN gonna be restored when russian puppet regime gets thrown out of the white house.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 3:23 am

Ichinin wrote:

Regardless of what happens in the short term, NN gonna be restored when russian puppet regime gets thrown out of the white house.

the GOP as a party needs to be neutered first.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

The damage T has done will ensure that the GOP will be out-of-office for a decade, also the political identity of the younger people (who like the internet as it was) is strongly democratic. As a European, i can hardly understand how an idiot like that can be elected president and not be thrown in jail. The corrupt Berlusconi tried similar s**t (not Net Neutrality, but other things) that T did, but he was sent to the slammer where be belong and ended up doing community service with old people. When it comes to personal privacy and internet, the line between the US and Europe is like night and day.

It was the one reason why i voted against the European constitution that would put a president in EU, The corruption Berlusconi brought into the EU was the main reason, and i've only become more certain in my beliefs against a European president as i saw Bush and T. There are people like republicans in the EU that tries to take away internet freedom and personal privacy, but they are extremely few and most see them as ultra rightwing political extremists and isolate them, communists and extreme lefties are also held in a tight leech.

In short: removing or even limiting Net Neutrality won't fly in Europe.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:09 am

Ichinin wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

The damage T has done will ensure that the GOP will be out-of-office for a decade, also the political identity of the younger people (who like the internet as it was) is strongly democratic.
In short: removing or even limiting Net Neutrality won't fly in Europe.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but America is basically a center-right country cognitively hobbled by the remnants of puritanical Calvinism which seems hard-wired into our [cultural] DNA. also our voting system is corrupted and relatively non-transparent.

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2017, 12:27 pm

To be honest I can partly understand why big internet companies want to break up Net Neutrality to earn extra money. We are just in the lobby of the big Iot revolution and in the future not only people want to buy stuff and or services with Iot services but cities and even governments too. Once it starts to rise dramatically it will bring a dramatic rising in the volume of the worldwide internet traffic too. Internet providers will be under the pressure to spend lots of money to upgrade their services to keeping up with the rising internet traffic while they want to earn more money than what they spend for their internet infrastructure.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2017, 6:27 pm

Is this just a USA thing or will it affect other countries like I'm in the UK and so far we get no problems cos I use KODI all the time plus I download alot from the pirate bay which isnt even blocked by my ISP.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

equestriatola wrote:
...you can expect broadband providers to start limiting what you can access on the internet or charging you more to get to the sites and services you regularly use.

On one hand, that would be kind of nice, because in theory ISPs could provide inexpensive packages for people who don't require things like 24/7 streaming video and audio.

On the other hand, I did say "in theory" :roll: I'm sure in practice it will be more like when you try to purchase an Internet connection, and they try to convince you that you'll save much more money if you bundle it with phone and cable TV.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 5:40 am

andyfzr wrote:
Is this just a USA thing or will it affect other countries like I'm in the UK and so far we get no problems cos I use KODI all the time plus I download alot from the pirate bay which isnt even blocked by my ISP.

There is big support in the EU for keeping net neutrality among all remaining member states :lol:

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2017, 12:44 pm

To be quite honest, this net neutrality business has not done anything but bad. If you think about it, back before the Title II regulations came to be in 2015, we were still using the internet like nothing happened. No throttling has occurred (It was still illegal before the regulation), no fast lanes and slow lanes, none of it. It was a debate back then as well. The only thing that changed (and I hate being political about it) is that censorship has occurred and it was from the big internet corporations like Google, Facebook. Because they were censoring conservative voices. I can't say for certain Trump has probably talked to each CEO of each cable company. All it did was that with Title II, the FTC was no longer in patrolling investigations of customer complaints. It basically gave the internet corporations censorship abilities because the people can no longer complain to the FTC of what's going on. This was all based on my experience and a conservative point of view. From what I'm seeing is that we are still going to use the internet like it is even before the regulations. Hearing about throttling, choosing favorites, adding additional fees for using certain services is a bit absurd. Hey I could be wrong and maybe it will be the new norm but who knows.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 10:34 am

jikijiki53 wrote:
The only thing that changed (and I hate being political about it) is that censorship has occurred and it was from the big internet corporations like Google, Facebook. Because they were censoring conservative voices.

AnnaTheFox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2017, 3:56 pm

jikijiki53 wrote:
To be quite honest, this net neutrality business has not done anything but bad. If you think about it, back before the Title II regulations came to be in 2015, we were still using the internet like nothing happened. No throttling has occurred (It was still illegal before the regulation), no fast lanes and slow lanes, none of it. It was a debate back then as well. The only thing that changed (and I hate being political about it) is that censorship has occurred and it was from the big internet corporations like Google, Facebook. Because they were censoring conservative voices. I can't say for certain Trump has probably talked to each CEO of each cable company. All it did was that with Title II, the FTC was no longer in patrolling investigations of customer complaints. It basically gave the internet corporations censorship abilities because the people can no longer complain to the FTC of what's going on. This was all based on my experience and a conservative point of view. From what I'm seeing is that we are still going to use the internet like it is even before the regulations. Hearing about throttling, choosing favorites, adding additional fees for using certain services is a bit absurd. Hey I could be wrong and maybe it will be the new norm but who knows.

Comcast was extorting Netflix for bandwidth in 2014, necessitating the discussion around net neutrality. Look it up, there were a number of articles about it.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2018, 12:02 pm

AnnaTheFox wrote:
jikijiki53 wrote:

Comcast was extorting Netflix for bandwidth in 2014, necessitating the discussion around net neutrality. Look it up, there were a number of articles about it.

I know it happened. It still doesn't change my opinion. It was still illegal even before the 2015 Net Neutrality rules were in place. Netflix before 2015 most likely didn't contact the FTC for an investigation into the matter.

erijon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

Check out my video how to bypass it without paying for a VPN.

I am diagnosed with Asperger's though I do doubt I actually have it.

I'm amazed noone here has called me edgy yet.