Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 8:15 pm

Is it just me or has music gotten worse since Trump became President? Music reflects politics, after all!

Grimnir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2017, 8:42 pm

Sounds fine to me! The teaser for the new Judas Priest sounds pretty good. Oh, you mean radio music? That trash has been going downhill since after grunge ended. IT has nothing to do with Trump ,nothing at all.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 8:55 pm

With a few exceptions, my musical train of thought stayed at the station after the early 90s

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 10:24 pm

I think that when young people have been feeling under pressure because of the way politics is, it seems to have often brought about new styles of music as a kind of rebellion - for example, punk, hip-hop, techno. Even if you don't like the new styles of music or the political beliefs of the acts, it always shakes things up a bit and brings in new ideas that other musicians can be inspired by or react against.

One thing that make me sad is that it is so much harder to get a band together than it was back in my punk days. Here in the UK, there just are hardly any places for loud band practices any more, and there are far fewer small venues to get gigs if you are an unknown band starting out with a small following (our entertainment/drinking laws discourage it too by making it way cheaper to just have karaoke or a DJ in pubs and clubs.) For some styles of music, that might not matter so much, but it's a bit of a downer for the kind of stuff that I like.

Grimnir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2017, 3:51 am

Most people I have met that despise mainstream music are usually way smarter and more informed than the average person. It turns out mainstream music is based off of algorithms. They now have computer programs that are used to create beats to get stuck in your head. It's a huge part of main steam music. See, mainstream music is only about image and not actual music, hence why it's complete garbage and usually the people that listen to it are complete morons.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 4:48 am

Taylor Swift has "reinvented" herself with her latest album.

Besides that there have not been any noticeable changes in pop music in the 12 months since Trump was inaugurated that I am aware of. But someone more up on current music might know of evidence to the contrary.

Grimnir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2017, 5:10 am

Pop, being garbage since 1990.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Grimnir wrote:
Most people I have met that despise mainstream music are usually way smarter and more informed than the average person. It turns out mainstream music is based off of algorithms. They now have computer programs that are used to create beats to get stuck in your head. It's a huge part of main steam music. See, mainstream music is only about image and not actual music, hence why it's complete garbage and usually the people that listen to it are complete morons.

That explains why it’s so bad!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:43 pm

I don't really bother listening to what passes for "music" nowadays.