Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Scout02
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2017, 11:10 pm

Hey guys well I decided to try something different for a career. I leave next month for a 21 week training in commercial diving. I just earned padi certification last week which was frightening. Almost drowned had a bronchial tube full of saltwater 30 feet under. Had to squeeze my diaphragm and swallow it. Well anyways I am still here. I am kinda excited. Learn how to stick weld and burn steel and use impact drivers and such underwater. Has anybody considered this career choice or currently doing it?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 4:10 am

Hah I read this topic heading as "Commercial DRIVING" and was thinking wtf at almost drowned had a bronchial tube full of saltwater 30 feet under. :wink:
But yes it's an awesome idea. I looked into this too with a romantic sense of guiding scuba dives. Unfortunately where I am, it's completely bogged down in red tape. In order to qualify as a scuba instructor or take people out scuba diving you had to do YEARS of expensive training courses, and then a huge number of prerequisite dives, pay a bunch of licensing fees - and after all that, settle for only a few weeks of work per year because of seasonal conditions and low tourism.
But your idea looks more sensible - like doing deep sea welding? I'm sure there's blocks in place to make this impossible too, but it's a good possibility.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 10:43 am

I read it as commercial DRIVING too, and wondered at it because I get really stressed driving. Diving sounds much better :D I've not thought of it as a career beyond superficially, I think I'd be nervous of the dark. Is diving a special interest?
I was going to say it must be nice doing this on the Devon coast, if a bit cold at the moment, but I've worked out what mn stands for.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 7:21 am

It sounds fascinating but I'm not sure of my skill as a possible welder.

Oddly enough though, my current job is actually Commercial Driver. I'm a yard truck driver.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 8:04 am

I used to be a sports diver, but never considered it as a career. It sounds great... best of luck.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 8:17 am

I once had Divemaster certs from PADI, NAUI, and YMCA, over 400 hours bottom time, certs in Whitewater Rescue, Dive Rescue, Search & Recovery (In water, it's only a "rescue" for the first five minutes), and Evidence Collection & Handling; I was an assistant instructor at university and Divemaster of a county rescue team.
Commercial diving is highly technical; which would appeal to the 'geek' in most of us, and as it is high tech/low relationship (relatively; you still must be able to function as a team, but it's nothing like sales, for instance), I can see a certain Aspie allure.
Having said that, OW I certification is little better than a license to drown, as apparently you've figured out. It's light-years away from a commercial cert. If I were you, I'd get NAUI OW II & Rescue, and all the bottom time you can possibly accumulate; it's not the snort of seawater, but the ensuing panic which will kill you. The only answer to that is training and experience; lots of it.
Another thing; if you're claustrophobic or anxious in low/no light or visibility, commercial diving's probably not for you.
Good luck!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:30 am

Scout02 wrote:
Hey guys well I decided to try something different for a career. I leave next month for a 21 week training in commercial diving. I just earned padi certification last week which was frightening. Almost drowned had a bronchial tube full of saltwater 30 feet under. Had to squeeze my diaphragm and swallow it. Well anyways I am still here. I am kinda excited. Learn how to stick weld and burn steel and use impact drivers and such underwater. Has anybody considered this career choice or currently doing it?

I'm not able to do such careers but I think they are good alternatives for people on the spectrum who don't mind the risks.