Struggle understanding people talking about certain things.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

Can someone help explain something and why it happens. When someone is explaining something they’ve did that’s has some kind of technical information that they’ve physically did I struggle understanding it. I’ve did martial arts or fitness,training etc on and off since I was a kid but something I’ve always struggled with is this. An example is, a friend rang yesterday and was trying to explain a certain technique he did on someone, I couldn’t understand what he was saying interms of imagining what he was doing. This happens quite a bit and I usually respond with “youl have to show me”. Would it be executive functions? Theory of mind? Thanks in advance

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 7:47 pm

I think we all have different ways that we learn best depending on how we process our thoughts.

I'm the exact opposite of what you describe. It's difficult to show me how to do something, as I just can't seem to translate another person's motions or posture into my own. On the other hand, I learn from words, especially reading, quite easily. When I am thinking about something, I often find that I need names for things and actions before I can understand the problem properly. Maybe your mind makes sense of things better by thinking about patterns, shapes, or body sensations rather than so much words?

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 8:28 pm

That sounds like my attempt at skating lessons as a kid. I could not understand what I was supposed to be doing, or whether it was my turn, or someone else's turn, or the whole group's turn. Always going in the wrong direction, doing the wrong thing, and everyone thought I was a complete idiot.

I think it was a failure to understand body language, or be perceptive of what the group was doing.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2017, 5:21 am

Trogluddite wrote:
I think we all have different ways that we learn best depending on how we process our thoughts.

I'm the exact opposite of what you describe. It's difficult to show me how to do something, as I just can't seem to translate another person's motions or posture into my own. On the other hand, I learn from words, especially reading, quite easily. When I am thinking about something, I often find that I need names for things and actions before I can understand the problem properly. Maybe your mind makes sense of things better by thinking about patterns, shapes, or body sensations rather than so much words?

Interesting. If he showed what he was talking about on me I would get it,but when he’s explaining what he’s doing to someone else I don’t get it all all.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2017, 5:49 am

Maybe you are just a visual thinker and words don't move your imagination enough.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:02 am

It had something to do with thought process.
Some do better with words, some do better with visuals without the words, and so forth.
Some pattern of words are easier to convey and translate. Some are downright obscured, depending who you talk to. To organize and translate means executive functioning -- in a sense it's a two way thing of the speaker/writer and audience would both have to work with the context and language.
And sometimes, words are adjusted according to the person spoken or written to or at the intended audience, which is theory of mind at work, to take account of one another's executive functioning or verbal abilities.

Verbal -- whether spoken or written -- is more of a medium to me than a thought process for me to convey with. :|
I dunno, I see language as limiting. Sometimes it's an unreliable medium to me.
I'm a nonverbal thinker and learner. I prefer observing, sensing, and doing.

And I'm constantly translating verbal medium. :lol: And I get mixed and inconsistent results; from as precise as one intends to convey, to something downright improbable or absurd that the speaker/writer wouldn't intend to convey.
Same with my own words, too, except harder. Sometimes whenever I read or heard my own words, I get confused with it too despite even with several attempts of rewording.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2017, 3:21 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
It had something to do with thought process.
Some do better with words, some do better with visuals without the words, and so forth.
Some pattern of words are easier to convey and translate. Some are downright obscured, depending who you talk to. To organize and translate means executive functioning -- in a sense it's a two way thing of the speaker/writer and audience would both have to work with the context and language.
And sometimes, words are adjusted according to the person spoken or written to or at the intended audience, which is theory of mind at work, to take account of one another's executive functioning or verbal abilities.

Verbal -- whether spoken or written -- is more of a medium to me than a thought process for me to convey with. :|
I dunno, I see language as limiting. Sometimes it's an unreliable medium to me.
I'm a nonverbal thinker and learner. I prefer observing, sensing, and doing.

And I'm constantly translating verbal medium. :lol: And I get mixed and inconsistent results; from as precise as one intends to convey, to something downright improbable or absurd that the speaker/writer wouldn't intend to convey.
Same with my own words, too, except harder. Sometimes whenever I read or heard my own words, I get confused with it too despite even with several attempts of rewording.
That’s a really good explanation

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 10:53 pm

It seems like many people are bad at explaining technical things in general. Physical actions in particular are difficult to explain because it involves words that people don't often use and it takes time to translate body movements into words.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 11:06 pm

I honestly have a difficult time understanding one of my friends. He's a very smart, tech savvy person who administers a database organization so...naturally he has this "moon-speak" way of talking sometimes when on subjects about coding, his set ups and other tech related things. But, I love him very much, I just feel bad that half of the stuff he goes on about I have no clue as to what he's saying ^_^; And I know he doesn't like being so "boring" in that sense and wishes he was more exciting...

But honestly despite that, I still love him! I love talking about sex with him and he's very sweet to me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
Can someone help explain something and why it happens. When someone is explaining something they’ve did that’s has some kind of technical information that they’ve physically did I struggle understanding it. I’ve did martial arts or fitness,training etc on and off since I was a kid but something I’ve always struggled with is this. An example is, a friend rang yesterday and was trying to explain a certain technique he did on someone, I couldn’t understand what he was saying interms of imagining what he was doing. This happens quite a bit and I usually respond with “youl have to show me”. Would it be executive functions? Theory of mind? Thanks in advance

There are a lot of terrible explainers out there. I made one of them try to sketch what he was describing, and it was as if he had been walking around it as he added features. One chunk was sticking into the ground. Recently, he was going on about "The pin that holds it together!" when there were half a dozen such pins, but he had only noticed the missing one.
A lot of people are totally useless if they use the concepts of "strong" or "stiff" - even "The Big Bang Theory" got them backwards. Specialized descriptions require specialized vocabulary, and it is often misused.
On the receiving end, I am usually too lazy to try to build up a mental image matching a description. Maybe I would prefer the parameters in a different order, or would notice a whole different array when present.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2017, 7:30 pm

Thank you for the responses. I found explains a lot of the issues I have. Saying that some of these are not anything like me. Interesting none the less. https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/Soci ... s-with-ASD

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 6:13 am

Nothing to do with autism.

Its just very hard for anyone to describe a three dimensional mechanical operation in a way that a second person could follow.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2017, 5:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Its just very hard for anyone to describe a three dimensional mechanical operation in a way that a second person could follow.
There job is to describe these things in a way that’s easy to comprehend.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 10:27 am

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Not sure what your point is.

!) Nts have as much trouble following other NTs as you have following NTs describe three D mechanical things.
2) Only first class science writers are good at describing three D mechanical things.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2017, 7:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
TheAvenger161173 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

!) Nts have as much trouble following other NTs as you have following NTs describe three D mechanical things.
2) Only first class science writers are good at describing three D mechanical things.

Your completly right. Only “first class science writers” are good at describing what I’m talking about..and not professional coaches who’s job it is to explain these things. I must seek out a “first class science writer”.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:07 am

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
TheAvenger161173 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Your completly right. Only “first class science writers” are good at describing what I’m talking about..and not professional coaches who’s job it is to explain these things. I must seek out a “first class science writer”.

There is also the case of the fellow in India who is offering $25,000 to anyone who can explain a certain point to him. Unfortunately, he seems impervious.