Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:19 pm

I used to eat snow a lot as a kid. And sometimes I'd eat icicles like an ice cream cone. Playing outside in my snow pants and winter coat for longs periods would often make me warm and thirsty. Of course I know now that even if it looks pure white, snow can have all kinds of germs in it, but as a kid I couldn't care less, and it probably made me more resistant to illness and infection than the kids today who have to practically live like the Bubble Boy.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 3:48 am

When i was younger, i was into long distance skiing (took a 30 km run at a trail sometimes while my father waited for me at the car), and i brought no water with me, i just grabbed a piece of snow and melted it as i went.

Any worm or bacteria capable of being alive in the snow is not harmful to humans, unless we're talking about faeces or urine (don't eat near that or near roads with lots of trafic). Humans eat bacteria all the time through our foods and inhaling air, collecting fomites by touching surfaces and and they are also inside our body so - no big deal, also you have to eat a certain amount of bacteria so they can overcome the immune system, eating just one bacteria won't make you sick.

Chemical contaminants is a bigger problem with snow.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 7:46 pm

yes! I don't the taste though.

Seasmoke
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2017, 7:53 pm

I did until I found out that a snowflake requires a particulate from the atmosphere to begin forming, which essentially means that there is a small amount of "dirt" at the center of each flake. It lost its appeal after that.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 8:33 pm

I liked icicles but getting them down was always a risk. I saw one that was over a foot long once.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 9:27 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
yes! I don't the taste though.

You know it's like .. frozen water? What kind of snow have you been eating?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2017, 2:45 pm

I should of added that I have while walking in the snow cuz I'm a mouth breather but I never ate snow intentionally

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition