Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 9:08 am

I sleep in spurts. An hour to three hours at a stretch. I've heard Thomas Edison had a simlar sleep pattern.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:32 am

That means you will invent the lightbulb!! !

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:04 pm

Apparently, this used to be common in medieval times - there are lots of old documents that talk about people having a "first sleep" and a "second sleep". The idea that you're supposed to get all of your sleep in one long 8-9 hour session dates mostly from the industrial revolution when people started having to fit their sleep around working long hours in the mills and factories (12 hour working days, 6 days a week, were common back then.) These days, that kind of sleep pattern is called "polyphasic sleeping" (it has lots of Google results.)

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2017, 2:31 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Apparently, this used to be common in medieval times - there are lots of old documents that talk about people having a "first sleep" and a "second sleep". The idea that you're supposed to get all of your sleep in one long 8-9 hour session dates mostly from the industrial revolution when people started having to fit their sleep around working long hours in the mills and factories (12 hour working days, 6 days a week, were common back then.) These days, that kind of sleep pattern is called "polyphasic sleeping" (it has lots of Google results.)

Yep and of course in hot countries it was and is customary to have a siesta in the mid afternoon, when it's too hot. We get a lot of our current way of life from office/factory hours. In colder countries it was still customary to have a nap after the mid-day meal, to aid digestion. Until the railways came along and clocks became common, things were much less rigid. You rose when it got light and when to bed after it got dark. If you don't have to, there is in fact no reason to sleep for the customary 8 hours at a time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 3:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That means you will invent the lightbulb!! !

It means he is going to produce the definitive Trump blog. :D

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm

You sleep on a big pile of Nikola Tesla's money?

Impressive.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2017, 5:33 am

I used to sleep like that. Unfortunately I can't anymore, because I got a job that requires that my day-night-rhythm is the same as everyone elses. But I really prefer the spurt-way of sleeping. Because I work best very early in the morning and very late at night, but with the normal 8-hours-a-night-pattern I can't have them both.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Dec 2017, 6:03 am

I've been doing that lately cuz me & my girlfriend go to bed late & have been getting up early alot cuz of things going on. We take naps after we're done & sometimes had a chance to wind down, & we go to bed late again cuz we're not that tired since we had the nap, & the cycle continues.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 10:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
You sleep on a big pile of Nikola Tesla's money?

Impressive.

I knew some such comment would show up eventually. :thumleft: I would've been disappointed if it didn't.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 10:43 am

I sleep like Thomas Edison too. Maybe this means we are both geniuses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

I once read somewhere that Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark. I don't know if that's true, but I can almost imagine him there desperately trying to get his first light bulb to work, "C'mon, c'mon, please work, it's only a half-hour until sundown!" :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 7:30 pm

i'd sleep like a log for at least 8 hours [like when I was younger] if not for my need to empty my bladder every 2 hours or so. :tired:

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm

I used to sleep like that when I was younger too. Because I'm more productive very early in the morning and since I got up too early I would feel the need to sleep in the afternoon which would keep me awake late at night.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:39 pm

Trogluddite wrote:

First sleep second sleep lasted about 3 to 4 hours for each sleep. It wasn't due to long hours in the mills and factories but due to the lack of light. Basically, people would go to bed soon after dark. It was when artificial lighting -- gas lights, in particular -- arrived that the pattern changed.

Some of the various activities enjoyed in the hour or two between first sleep and second sleep were: going to the bathroom, eating a midnight snack, reading, thinking about one's dreams, and visiting neighbors.

Note, however, that first sleep second sleep was not talking about taking naps in the daytime.

If you've ever gone on a long hike where you were wore out from a long day on the trail and would go to bed when the sun went down, you may have had enough time to go to a first sleep second sleep pattern.

One way that might work to experience it is to have your electricity turned off and not go out at all in the evenings. In other words, when night falls, you have no light to read, no tv, no radio, no going out to restaurant, movies, or anything. Just go to sleep at dark. This would probably work best if you lived out in the country.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 10:35 pm

I looked up Thomas Edison's sleep patterns. He reportedly slept 3 to 4 hours a night and took naps in the day time. This is hardly a first sleep second sleep pattern.

For what it's worth, I went about ten years sleeping about 2 hours a night and taking no naps at all. I never got very far asleep - I had maybe one or two dreams a year and could become instally fully awake at the slightest impulse. There was no grogginess while waking up.

The only exception was if I took medicine that made me drowsy as a side effect (antihistamines, for one). I loved all the extra time I had, but I hated it as well.

This can be very dangerous, though. Supposedly while you are awake your body allows amyloid proteins to accumulate in the brain. They think that during your deep sleep, the body is able to remove much of those proteins. If you have little or no deep sleep, then they just keep building up.

The resulting amyloid plaque is one of the two characteristics of Alzheimer's Disease -- the other is neurofibrillary tangles. I think that it is generally considered that Alzheimer's is due more to the amyloid plaques although some neuroscientists think that it might be the neurofibrillary tangles, instead, that is responsible for Alzheimer's.

Consequently, I very rarely use an alarm clock at all. I want to get lots of sleep to help avoid the buildup of amyloid plaques in addition to whatever may already be there.

From https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17853-lack-of-sleep-linked-to-alzheimers/:

Quote:
A lack of sleep could help toxic plaques develop in the brain, accelerating the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.

David Holtzman looked at how sleep affected the levels of beta-amyloid protein in mice and humans. This protein causes plaques to build up in the brain, which some think cause Alzheimer’s disease by killing cells.

Holtzman’s group found that beta-amyloid levels were higher in mouse brains when the mice were awake than when they were sleeping.

Lack of sleep also had an effect on plaque levels: when the mice were sleep-deprived – forced to stay awake for 20 hours of the day – they developed more plaques in their brains.

He suggests that sleeping for longer could limit the formation of plaques, and perhaps block it altogether.

The group also measured levels of beta-amyloid in the cerebrospinal fluid of 10 healthy men, both at night and during the day. Levels were lower at night, suggesting that sleep might also help keep levels of the plaque protein low in humans.

Neuroscientist Damian Crowther of the University of Cambridge says that people with Alzheimer’s are known to suffer sleep abnormalities, but that whether these are a cause or a symptom of the disease is unknown.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 10:39 pm

i'd read somewhere that the few cases of people losing the ability to sleep, cut their lifespans short, to less than 50 years.