Wanting To Inroduce Myself - Hope I'm In The Right Place

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MusicForTheMind
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

Hello Everyone,
It was a Pain Management Consultant who started me on this spectral journey.
During a discussion about my arthritis, he rather brazenly alluded to the fact he knows someone very like me with "Asperger's".
I wasn't surprised, as I already have diagnoses of ADHD Combined Type and Bipolar 2.
I decided to pursue a private diagnostic interview and the psychologist was sure enough to give me a verbal diagnosis of ASD1. There's a report in the post and I'll be interested to see what that says.
My own reaction was positive : Naturally, it explains a lot of things, but reactions of others varied.
Not as positive as I had hoped - More trepidatious to be honest, which was a little disheartening.
Anyway, I have joined this website to talk to others of a similar mindset - Mostly for reassurance, but moreso to hook up with people who'll get me and my quirks straight away and people I'm likely to identify with.
I am extremely verbose, (but I am told that's quite typical), and tend to be optimistic in outlook.
Another site I visited seemed more to be used for venting -That's not what I'm here to do, as I'm happy with my diagnosis.
I'm looking for advice on navigating the world from this different angle, what to look out for, where to find assistance and where to bump into lie minded people.
I am literally starting from scratch at age 52, so am seeing this as a great new challenge at the moment, although I expect there'll be some bumps along the way.
Anyway, thanks,
Hope to hear from you

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 11:50 am

I have music on my mind--but can't play it.

Since getting the diagnosis, have you had less pain?

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2017, 12:32 pm

Hi welcome to Wrong Planet! I can't give you much advice on navigating ASD at 52 as I'm 17 and just now starting the process of being diagnosed myself but I wanted to pop in and say I love your signature! I'm a bit of a Latin geek myself.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2017, 6:01 pm

It it helps... I was 46 when I figured out that I wasn't nuero-typical. For me it finally validated a hole lot of sensory issues, and social issues and other oddities I had all my life. I now approach things totally different now.

For example...
My parents and aunts and uncles all told me I was the same as everybody else and that I should be able to deal with sunlight. I now where sunglasses almost everywhere, especially in bright stores.

There's a whole lot of other things, but that is the simplest.