Are you more focused when you're not at home?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2017, 12:03 pm

I have an hour at school everyday to work on homework for other classes, and I can usually get a decent amount done there. But I have a lot of trouble staying on task and not getting distracted when I'm at home. When I'm at school, my brain is in work-mode, whereas when I'm home my brain is in not-work-mode, and changing that has been rather challenging for me lately.

Anyone have similar problems?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Dec 2017, 5:41 am

I had those problems in skewl but some of that is because I got so stressed out from being at skewl cuz of my Aspie issues & learning disabilities that I really needed time at home to wind down & relax. I did my very best in class so I looked like I was trying to my teachers & my grades were curved so I wouldn't get an F on my report cards in the subjects that I failed lots of tests in.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

Yep, I have this. When I am in an environment that is associated with work (University, school, office) I can be very productive. When I work from home, even in my home office, and try and get things done, I find I struggle to focus and get very easily distracted by things. Unfortunately, leaving the house to work is not always possible. I do find wearing my "thinking" headphones helps focus me (they are noise cancelling headphones).

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm at Uni and that's true about me. I've been studying in a library lately. It's quiet and I can get focused now.

sleepyjasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2018, 3:01 pm

I don't like studying in school. I don't really feel safe there and experience a lot of anxiety. Also, I learn better with videos which is not possible in school. However, I tend to procrastinate a lot at home and start doing my work really late but when I started I tend to get way better results at home. :?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:48 pm

I am focused in school, but I feel like I don't want to be. I usually feel focused in 4th period and 7th period, which is Algebra II and US History. I also usually have a high urge to draw during school, but the class work usually discourages me/pisses me off and adds more tension to myself, making me really want to go home and just relax.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on February 15, 2018)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:59 pm

Yes. As a grad student, I have a lab pretty much to myself (the other student under my supervisor is rarely there). However, my university is about two hours away, so unfortunately I do not have the luxury of going there to do my work. It has been a challenge at home.

I already permanently quit all distracting social networks. I also went on a very plain diet to reduce my time in the kitchen (and to stop getting distracted by it), while still making sure I am nourishing myself on a budget.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

This is my problem. When I have to get much done, then I go to the library.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

For me, it's a bit mixed.

When I'm at school, both back in high school and now in college, I am either able to really focus and become very productive at school or at home -- depends on where I'm at. If it's in the classroom full of students, then I just get overwhelmed with anxiety and shut down. It's hard for me to learn from teachers and so I end up reading the material myself and learning it on my own time. If it's at the school library (specifically high school), then I was really able to become very productive and get a lot of work done in less than an hour.

Now, at home, I have distractions like my phone and computer (unfortunately I need my computer now in college since I take courses related to cybersecurity and online courses). There are times when I'm able to really focus and get things done, while other times I find myself idle.

In the end, I usually get less accomplished at school overall but in certain conditions, I can get a lot more accomplished than I otherwise would at home.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm

For non-creative subjects, I used to do more work in an hour in my free period at school than in a whole evening at home! I guess putting my head down and working seemed like the least stressful thing I could be doing whilst at school, whereas at home I just wanted to forget about school. For creative writing though, I was such a perfectionist and thought out the wording of every sentence very carefully, so I needed to be at home for that type of thinking because I needed a stress-free environment for it.

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 9:58 pm

I'm more focused when sitting on somthing with foam in it. Also when waking up and in the middle of the night.

Yokokurama

21 Mar 2018, 9:09 pm

It depends on the environment. In high school I would have to study at home, I couldn't stand the loud, cluttered rooms at my school, it sort of distorted my concentration. When I was at college last year, I would often go to the library or the math center to work, but found that sometimes people in the math center would be hooting and hollering for no reason.